Northwest Trucks

Remember Marsham Tyres very well. Looking in the bay looks like a long nosed Thames Trader in for a tyre change. 1960s I had a Custom Cab breadvan and 1972 for a short time I had a long wheelbase Ford Custom Cab.
Thanks for submitting photos of Manchester and Lorries. Shown my wife and like her it just seems like yesterday and good bit of nostalgia.

Looking at the 8 legger Hague Transport Ormskirk must be over 12 foot and top heavy with looks like nets of potatoes on top of sheeted load. The loads are tidy and well sheeted.
Cheers Kev

Atki%20Hague[1].jpg

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:
This DAF of T.W. Bowler of Stockport is seen passing through Standish, near Wigan.
Perhaps the Christian name of the owner is Tom :slight_smile: Ray Smyth.

Ray. Bowlers driver must have a powerful CB set. Look at the twig above his Tractor Unit!
I know Standish well and local roads are a bit tight when vehicles parked.
Kev

Kev…I wasn’t quite sure of the exact location when I first saw the picture, It is School Lane, the DAF is probably
on its way to the M6 at J27. The Beeches Hotel is on the left, Green lane on the right, and St Wilfrids C of E Church
and Winter Hill in the Background. Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray
Remember there used to be plenty loads of bulk coal and coke tippers late 1950s early 1960s using that route. There were plenty of mines round Wigan and outlining areas. The Motorway made life easier for wagon drivers.
My claim to fame.
Visited Winter Hill transmitter just a few days after it opened 1956.
1958 My brother got married and moved into his bungalow at Bamber Bridge Preston. The week or so later I visited them the day the Preston By-pass opened. Opened by Prime Minister Harold McMillan but I expect the youth of today would expect to see a burger Big Mac?
Regards Kev

Hi Kev, Thank you for your comments on the Bowlers lorry passing through Standish. You mentioned lots of tippers carrying
coal from the many collieries in the Wigan area…Just less than 3 miles up the A49 from Standish traffic lights was the tipper
fleet of Oliver Hart in Coppull, with their many “Homebuilt” lorries. If you have a squint at page 11 on the Liverpool 60s thread,
one of their 8 wheelers is exiting the Mersey Tunnel at Old Haymarket in Liverpool . I wonder if DEANB has any pictures of Harts
lorries on the Paul Gee thread ? Regards, Ray.

ERF agent advert from Manchester.

Marsham Tyres, wow I had forgotten all about them! They had some Bedford TK artics I believe?

Pete.

A couple here for you Ray

Stanfield:
A couple here for you Ray

John, Thank you for the Oliver Hart pictures. If you put “Wigan World” into your Google thingamy,
Click on “Work”, and scroll down to "Transport, there is a 3 page thread containing some Oliver Hart
lorries, including some of their homemade lorries, also a couple of bits that I have submitted.
Regards, Ray.

One of Oliver Harts ‘mongrel’ tippers which came to grief in Huddersfield after running into a bus.

moomooland:
0One of Oliver Harts ‘mongrel’ tippers which came to grief in Huddersfield after running into a bus.

Hiya,
I once saw one of Harts “mongrels” with a Bristol cab,
the rest was Leyland Octopus I think.

I think Ollie Hart’s had a few Bristol-cabbed motors. Either that or I kept seeing the same one!

Heres a bit more on Harts chaps. Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks to Paul, Harry, Dean, and ROF for their input re: Oliver Hart Transport.
Not too long ago, one of the regular Trucknet members put on a picture of a
LAD Cabbed Albion or Leyland artic of Markland Scowcroft of Bolton, when it
was in the centre of Manchester, and I cant find it. It may have been one of
the chaps mentioned above, but I am not certain. I will keep searching.
Kind Regards, Ray.

There you go Ray taken in 1965 at the junction of Oxford Street and Portland Street in Manchester.

I originally posted it in October 2018 here… trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … d#p2532591

moomooland:
0There you go Ray taken in 1965 at the junction of Oxford Street and Portland Street in Manchester.

I originally posted it in October 2018 here… trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … d#p2532591

Paul, Thank you for your very speedy answer. Kind Regards, Ray.

Stanfield:
Kev, Gone but not forgotten .What a bloody stink that place sent out I used to pity the people who lived near by but on saying that i suppose most of them worked at smith.0

It was locally known as the Kingston Stink !

Frizell Foden from Crewe.

frizell nw.PNG

I found this picture of 4 Cusick Transport lorries queued up at Albert Dock in Liverpool.
I am surprised that I had not heard of Cusick Transport in the past. The Reg. No. TVM 123
on the Guy 4 wheeler suggests it could be from the Manchester area. It is difficult to know
whether they are waiting to unload in the dock shed, or ready to sheet up and set off.
The loads look like boxes of oranges from Spain, which arrived in Liverpool for many years
on MacAndrews Shipping Line vessels and also Aznar Shipping. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture of 4 Cusick Transport lorries queued up at Albert Dock in Liverpool.
I am surprised that I had not heard of Cusick Transport in the past. The Reg. No. TVM 123
on the Guy 4 wheeler suggests it could be from the Manchester area. It is difficult to know
whether they are waiting to unload in the dock shed, or ready to sheet up and set off.
The loads look like boxes of oranges from Spain, which arrived in Liverpool for many years
on MacAndrews Shipping Line vessels. Ray Smyth.

Hiya,
Bowkers of Blackburn moved the largest consignment of oranges from
Liverpool to London and all points everywhere in one, in the post-war
years, I remember seeing the picture in their office when I worked at
their Blackburn depot, I’ll dare bet the pic is still around somewhere.

Ray Smyth:
on MacAndrews Shipping Line vessels and also Aznar Shipping. Ray Smyth.

Cusick was a well-known haulier back in the day…

A busy scene at Samuel Cusick’s depot on Spencer Street in Hollinwood Oldham in 1949 with two of the companies Maudslay Mogul four wheeler’s pictured parked in the loading bays.
On the left Reg No CBU 950, which is coupled up to a draw-bar trailer, has just finished loading while on the right Reg No EBU 161 is loading up with crated goods.

Samuel Cusick founded Samuel Cusick Ltd in 1920, with headquarters at Hollinwood, between Oldham and Manchester.
For many years after the formation of the company their vehicles were seen in the early hours of the morning in Swan Street, Manchester carrying fruit and vegetables and later they provided a service for the huge cotton industry in the area.
Over the years the company grew rapidly introducing many brand new vehicles to their fleet at the same time taking over various haulage companies across the country.
As they expanded they opened other depots in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Poole and Bristol.
In 1949 the hugely successful transport company was swallowed up during government nationalisation and became part of British Road Services with Mr. Allan Cusick, who had been general manager, becoming BRS group manager at Oldham.,Mr. Samuel Cusick was appointed depot superintendent at Glodwick, Mr. Frank Cusick took office as group accountant, whilst Mr. William Cusick joined the B.R.S. engineering staff at Hollinwood.

When a change in the political scene indicated that free-enterprise was to return to the haulage industry the members of the Cusick family got together and decided that, if they could build up a fleet to give a general service all over the country, they would be interested in building the business up again so after de-nationalisation Cusick Transport continued as an independent business with the title of Cusick (Oldham), Ltd.

In May 1955 Cusick’s took over the former BRS company of Parkstone Transport Co of Dorset adding another 30 vehicles to their fleet.

It all came to an end in July 1960 when McVeigh Transport, Ltd of Grimsby had the opportunity to purchase shares of Cusick Transport and their associated company and as matter of urgency the transaction was completed within a week and Cusick Transport was literally gone overnight.

moomooland:
0A busy scene at Samuel Cusick’s depot on Spencer Street in Hollinwood Oldham in 1949 with two of the companies Maudslay Mogul four wheeler’s pictured parked in the loading bays.
On the left Reg No CBU 950, which is coupled up to a draw-bar trailer, has just finished loading while on the right Reg No EBU 161 is loading up with crated goods.

Samuel Cusick founded Samuel Cusick Ltd in 1920, with headquarters at Hollinwood, between Oldham and Manchester.
For many years after the formation of the company their vehicles were seen in the early hours of the morning in Swan Street, Manchester carrying fruit and vegetables and later they provided a service for the huge cotton industry in the area.
Over the years the company grew rapidly introducing many brand new vehicles to their fleet at the same time taking over various haulage companies across the country.
As they expanded they opened other depots in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Poole and Bristol.
In 1949 the hugely successful transport company was swallowed up during government nationalisation and became part of British Road Services with Mr. Allan Cusick, who had been general manager, becoming BRS group manager at Oldham.,Mr. Samuel Cusick was appointed depot superintendent at Glodwick, Mr. Frank Cusick took office as group accountant, whilst Mr. William Cusick joined the B.R.S. engineering staff at Hollinwood.

When a change in the political scene indicated that free-enterprise was to return to the haulage industry the members of the Cusick family got together and decided that, if they could build up a fleet to give a general service all over the country, they would be interested in building the business up again so after de-nationalisation Cusick Transport continued as an independent business with the title of Cusick (Oldham), Ltd.

In May 1955 Cusick’s took over the former BRS company of Parkstone Transport Co of Dorset adding another 30 vehicles to their fleet.

It all came to an end in July 1960 when McVeigh Transport, Ltd of Grimsby had the opportunity to purchase shares of Cusick Transport and their associated company and as matter of urgency the transaction was completed within a week and Cusick Transport was literally gone overnight.

Paul, Thank you for the in-depth information about Cusick Transport, the McVeigh/1960 info explains why I was not familiar with the company.
You mentioned the wholesale fruit market in Swan Street, Manchester, I went there many times with a full load of Guernsey Tomatoes when I
drove for Robert Baillie Transport of Portsmouth, based at Wigan depot. I would arrive there about 1a.m. with an artic, and make deliveries
to 8 licenced Guernsey handlers, all handball. After 7a.m., vehicles longer than 24 ft were barred from inside the market, to allow access for
the many greengrocers and restaurant customers. Kind Regards, Ray.