Northwest Trucks

Just as I remember 1962. Everything was in Black and White even the smog!
This pick is interesting as there is what looks like a builders van of chimney sweep. I takes me back to see the Salford City Transport Bus but did not realise they served Burnage Levenshulme area.
Kev

A34 Kingsway.jpg

kevmorrow:
Just as I remember 1962. Everything was in Black and White even the smog!
This pick is interesting as there is what looks like a builders van of chimney sweep. I takes me back to see the Salford City Transport Bus but did not realise they served Burnage Levenshulme area.
Kev

Hiya Kev,
Salford Buses and MCTD shared routes 95 and 96 Whitefield/East Didsbury.

Ray.

flishflunk:

kevmorrow:
Hiya Kev,
Salford Buses and MCTD shared routes 95 and 96 Whitefield/East Didsbury. Ray.

Just happen to have a shot of a Salford bus at Parrswood terminus Didsbury. :smiley:

moomooland:

flishflunk:

kevmorrow:
Hiya Kev,

Just happen to have a shot of a Salford bus at Parrswood terminus Didsbury. :smiley:

Thanks for info.
When I worked for Williames Transport Group late 1960s they were based at Warren Road Trafford Park. Williames were in the process of building a transport yard warehouse at Timpson Road Wythenshawe later taken over by Franns Maas. The Warren road site was too small so they temporally moved into the old Manchester Garages formally the old Parrswood Bus depot until the Timpson Road site was completed. The photo was many years after I left being pulled by Woodside Brothers unit

I959 me and my brother went to the School lane Parrswood to see a talent show at the ABC television studios and seen a rubbish group called the quarrymen. They Improved some years later and changed their name to the Beetles.
Kev

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f63[1].jpg

Shell Mex BP and remember Isherwood’s had many garages throughout Lancashire. I remember LOBITOS garages sprung up about the 1950s and recall it was like rocket fuel in my BSA M23.
Kev

Lobitos.jpg

Shell BP.jpg

windrush:
For a short while back in the early eighties we had a lad who drove a Foden sand tanker based at Tilcon’s Meriden sand pit and he had been a steel erector. I asked him what it was like; he said “If you can walk along a 6” wide girder laying on the ground then it’s no different walking along one 200ft up" but I didn’t really believe that! :unamused:

Pete.

Very true that is Pete , I did a bit of high scaffold back in my misspent youth . Once you can recognise that the fear dissapears and the job’s a good in .

Advert.

Click on page once.

moomooland:

flishflunk:

kevmorrow:
Hiya Kev,

That’s a great picture MM,last time I was back in the UK,Tesco had the site,prior to that and after Hargoods garage,it was a bus station,great days.

David

A few more archive images from around the Northwest.

Accident on Sandy Lane Reddish Stockport in 1940.

Yates Transport yard on Nelstrop Road North Heaton Chapel Stockport in January 1969.

Alexandra Road Hulme 1965.

Heaward Street Stockport 1964.

DER service van on Brunswick Street Ardwick 1960.

Seddon brewery wagon outside the Gardners Arms in Moston.

Woodside Volvo F7 after hitting low bridge on Georges Road Heaton Norris in May 1980.

Another angle after trailer detached during recovery.

Mancunian Way shortly after opening in 1967.

In the 1950s most Brewers dray wagons had cargo nets and were excellent form of securing loads. I believe many were purchased from Ex War department stock. The Seddon looks as though it has load perimeter chains to hold barrels in place. I had driven a 10 ton Seddon and remember luxury peace of kit it had fitted called power assisted steering. Not sure if it was electric assisted or electric hydraulic assisted. The breaks were keen but recall the clutch pedal was heavy or defective. Remind me, was it Seddons who first started on board axle weighing machine technology.
Remember being parked up at Geoffrey Reyner yard at Droylsden and booked a night out. One of their drivers gave me a lift to the Gardners Arms, had a couple of pints and caught the 112 or 113 bus home to Stretford.
Cheers Kev

Seddon%20Gardeners%20Arms,%20Lightbowne%20Road,%20Moston-001[1].jpg

I remember Nelstrops flour had many close calls at the same place as Woodside Brothers.
Two bridges at North Walsham Norfolk regularly get damaged .
You would think the Highways agency would have twigged this is an accident black spot and installed all singing all dancing bells and sirens like Blackwall tunnel North, but things are slower in Norfolk !!!

Kev

EDP24 North Walsam 2.jpg

EDP24 North Walsham 4.jpg

EDP24 Norfolk.jpg

EDP 24 North Walsham 3.jpg

Paul, great pics ! I reckon that Woodside F7 was going when he hit the bridge ! :open_mouth:

R. Higginbotham clipping.

foden nr manchester 1975.PNG

J M Birtwhistle Commer from Graine Road Mill Haslingden

Stanfield:

Hi John
Good photo of a “Commer come to a full stop”!!!
Looking at the man above lorry would be using a belt driver crane and a set of brothers chains to grab load.
I used to call at most Mills in Lancashire Yorkshire 1960s early 1970s delivering machine parts from James Mackie and sons Springfield Road Belfast. Not sure did United Carriers or TNT or similar groupage company move into part of Birtwhistles Craine Road Mill. Remember another company who used to produce a compound similar to Waxoil rust inhibitor. Could be off course with this area but talking over 50 years ago.
Regards Kev

kevmorrow:

Stanfield:

Hi John
Good photo of a “Commer come to a full stop”!!!
Looking at the man above lorry would be using a belt driver crane and a set of brothers chains to grab load.
I used to call at most Mills in Lancashire Yorkshire 1960s early 1970s delivering machine parts from James Mackie and sons Springfield Road Belfast. Not sure did United Carriers or TNT or similar groupage company move into part of Birtwhistles Craine Road Mill. Remember another company who used to produce a compound similar to Waxoil rust inhibitor. Could be off course with this area but talking over 50 years ago.
Regards Kev

Hiya,
Did for a short time drive for another Haslingden firm, and drove on the
odd occasion an identical Commer to the Birtwhistle one and I often got
a cheery wave from the driver of that self same motor my firm at the
time was J&E Transport where I worked twice once late 50s and again it
would have been the mid 60s I didn’t stay very long on either occasion it
being local work and I preferred tramping which I’d gotten used to, but
must say J&E always had good tackle and was a very fair firm to work at.

Store Street Manchester 1967.

Ministry of Transport weight testing on the newly built Mancunian Way in February 1967.

Junction of Princess Road and Denmark Road Moss Side 1967.

Smallmans Caterers Thames Traders on Heald Grove Rusholme 1967.

Saturday 28th of July 1973 and Scott’s of Oldham ERF 4LV 4x2 tractor unit Reg No ABU 272J is seen maneuvering a trailer outside the entrance to Pine Mill at the junction of Barton Street and Sherwood Street.

Everything in the picture has long since disappeared and has now been replaced by housing more images of Scott’s of Oldham in the ‘Scott;s of Oldham Archive’ here at…facebook.com/groups/2171102742947014/

More cracking photo’s thanks.
Looks like road tanker William Youngers Scottish & Newcastle Breweries tanker Princess Road Mossside and maybe the same tanker as per photo attached but brand new and no paint removed.
Looks as though the paint job has had harsh chemical cleaners to the rear.
I remember about the 1960s we used various chemicals to clean inside and out side tankers. Trisil or trisul alkaline powder would disintegrate Aluminium when mixed with hot water but in turn take its toll on paint.

Regards Kev

Scottish Newcastle.jpg

Princes Road Denmark rd 167.jpg

Atkinson dealer at St Helens.

nw atkinson pnw poily.PNG

DEANB:
Atkinson dealer at St Helens.

Hiya DEAN
I used to collect a mud type gunge called Zack froma tip at Pilkintons Glass works St Helens. I worked for MAT transport MIFT Trafford Park. It was loaded in 30 foot containers for a furnace in Belgium. Believe the mud had a high value of lead and other expensive metals.
Regards Kev

MAT F7.jpg

Gardner Engines Patricroft near Manchester. Used to see these wagons delivering engines most parts of the country.
Kev

Gardner patricroft.jpg

Gardner Lorry.jpg

Gardner engines.jpg