Northwest Trucks

Ariel view of E&F Beatties coal & rail sidings at Bennett St Ardwick Manchester

Nice one John, they must have shifted some large amounts of coal with all those railway trucks dropping it off in their yard.

Here’s one of Bettie’s Austin lorries used for household coal deliveries.

Bewick:

gingerfold:

gingerfold:

old 67:
Leyland Bear " borrowed " from Bubblemans thread :blush:
Regards. John.

Super Comet 20 Mixer.

That’s nailed it, they were Super Comet 20. Game, set and match. Case closed. :slight_smile:

Well if you were to swap the grille it would be an Albion Reiver ! surely, so it was just “Badge Engineering” by Leyland, I’ll bet they were even built up at Scotstoun :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now, talking of Albion six-wheelers there was a “special” Albion Reiver mixer chassis with AEC AV505 engine. We’ll have to see if a photo of one of those exists. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting the photo Gingerfold put on of the Super Comet 20 Mixer (below) I thought I’d seen it before and my 1971 edition of the Observers book has the same photo but as the text says names it a Bear, although as can be seen the chrome name isn’t shown on the front panel as in the pic above. Seems like some tweaking of the pic of the Super Comet to show how the Bear would look in the Observers book by 1971, the text does say by then it was the only Leyland chassis fitted with the LAD cab as the Ergo had replaced it. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Interesting the photo Gingerfold put on of the Super Comet 20 Mixer (below) I thought I’d seen it before and my 1971 edition of the Observers book has the same photo but as the text says names it a Bear, although as can be seen the chrome name isn’t shown on the front panel as in the pic above. Seems like some tweaking of the pic of the Super Comet to show how the Bear would look in the Observers book by 1971, the text does say by then it was the only Leyland chassis fitted with the LAD cab as the Ergo had replaced it. Franky.

Hello Franky, the Super Comet 20 mixer photo is an official Leyland photo which I bought from the BCVM archives, so it is absolutely kosher (before someone starts casting doubts about its authenticity :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ). It’s also showing a 1969 registration number which is air brushed out in the “Bear” photo.

Wasn’t there a Clydesdale 4 x 2 model with the LAD cab still available until 1973 or 1974? (I do wish I’d kept the sales manual I had with the complete Leyland Group range of the 1970s.)

In the CM link I posted earlier the Super Comet 20 was introduced mid 1964 so predated the Bear by several years. How the spec compares to the Reiver of the same era I know not though, maybe somebody will. I can remember the AEC engined Albion mixer chassis but had no personal experience of one, infact I had nothing to do with any Leylands/AEC/Albions during my fitting and driving careers unless you include the old BMC and Guy ranges! :wink:

Pete.

Wasn’t there a Clydesdale 4 x 2 model with the LAD cab still available until 1973 or 1974? (I do wish I’d kept the sales manual I had with the complete Leyland Group range of the 1970s.)
gingerfold

Spot on Graham the same edition shows the Clydesdale as a mobile crane here. Also I did notice that in the earlier 1968 Observers when it listed the available Leyland models most of the types preceded by ‘Super’ were for export, even this Super Comet model below and a Super Hippo. Cheers Franky.

This is a shot of the only kind of Leyland Comet I recall, and it is the “true” Comet not some badge engineered hybrid ! :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

A Dodge with a different badge! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
A Dodge with a different badge! :wink:

Pete.

Probably with an Albion gearbox and back axle :confused: :confused: :confused:

But it was a super gearbox, the six-speed overdrive from Albion, wasn’t it?
And in case anyone runs away with the idea that all Hydracon did was to bolt a crane on the back of an Albion, there was quite a bit more engineering than that: Most of their models involved almost completely rebuilding the chassis making it stronger and stiffer. Indeed, the heavier ones used just the LAD cab, Leyland engine and Albion axles & gearbox.

Trucks from around the Rawtenstall area.
Barnes of Rawtenstall.jpg

beestransport01.jpg
HELP. While investigating one of my old firms I found related nfo photo of Bees Van.
I was trying to find info mainly photos concerning an Irish haulage company I worked for 1972 to 1975. Williames Transport Group"Groupage" head office was Sinclare House Royal Avenue Belfast, but I was based Warren Road Trafford Park, we moved to new purpose built premises next to Timpsons shoe factory at Sharston, this site was taken over by Frans Maas about 1975. I know Williames Airfreight delivery side was taken over by Ifs ifsgroup.com/air-freight/wil … eight.aspx We used to travel overnight to their depot at Aldergrove via Stranrare Larne and return the next night. We had many 18 tonner Ford Custom Cab delivery vans. Night Trunk to Renfrew depot other was Birmingham and Slough with F86 wagon and drag demount tilts. Dennison 40 foot trailers Tilts. AEC Mandatas then Volvo 88s, Scammell Crusaders and a Marathons.
They also had the contract carting Shamrock Irish Peat on flatbed containers running out of Preston Docks until it closed. They used Caladonian and D&A transport Preston depots to deliver bails of peat.
Just searched and found Williames were still hauling groupage 1980, not sure if they used subbies like Woodside Brothers?
hinckleypastpresent.org/beestransport.html
1980 Bees Transport launched a new direct service into Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic due to ‘customer demand’. Williames Transport Ltd was appointed as the exclusive agent to handle deliveries to Ireland. Daily collections were made from the depots at Hinckley, Leeds and Glasgow. Williames Transport Ltd operated through the main depots in Dublin, Shannon and Belfast and had their own customs clearance depot in Newry, this speeded the export traffic from the UK into the Irish Republic.
Regards Kev Morrow

Delivering to the Cooperative Wholesale Society on Briscoe Lane.

Barbers Road Services Leyland after having a bit of a bump near Belle Vue Manchester in the 60s

Manchester City Surveyors Dept Leyland Comet artic

Stanfield:
Barbers Road Services Leyland after having a bit of a bump near Belle Vue Manchester in the 60s
Manchester City Surveyors Dept Leyland Comet artic

Where do you keep getting these gems from John , i don`t suppose you have any from the Henry Long fleet Bradford do you?

One of Park Cakes (Park-Ona) Thames Traders at the junction of Rochdale Road and Victoria Avenue Blackley Manchester.

K & S J Harvey And Sons of Bolton operated this Steyr 6x2 tractor unit Reg No J840 CNW

A02782.JPG James Nuttall Rochdale.

George Dew Oldham.JPG George Dew Oldham.

Killingbeck Atki.JPG John Killingbeck Blackburn.

A02557.JPG A & J Butterworth Ltd Greenfield Oldham.

J Hoyle Atki (1).JPG Joseph Hoyle Transport Ltd Audenshaw Manchester.