Northwest Trucks

KV ERF 4X2 tractor unit Reg No 4726 NC operated by H. R. D. Maconochie Ltd, Heaton Norris, Stockport.

4726 NC pictured here when brand new in 1962.

Can anyone remember a company from Ashton , there premises were off the beaten track on the Oldham to Ashton rd on the left up a country lane . Could have been Higgins or Hibberts Warehousing , they had some brown motors a Marathon drawbar and and ERF unit to name two . It was a bonded warehouse the owner was an ex seargent major from the army apparently , he ruled with an iron fist . We loaded out of there in the late `80s for Du Forest at Trafford Park usually bales for Italy

One for Ramone Photo taken by Peter Davies.

Stanfield:
One for Ramone Photo taken by Peter Davies.0

Oh yes John i saw this the other day in one of the vintage magazines. Taken at their newly aquired premises at the time on Northside Rd Lidget Green Bradford 7 it was unusual in being blue

AEC Drawbar.jpg

Stanfield:

The first 1 was a motor my dad drove from time to time when his mkv mm8 was off the road ,the second looks like its loading at 1 of the many wool mills around Bradford , the 3rd ive seen at Harrogate on the Trans pennine run, i wasnt aware Longs had any ergo Albions but the owner assured me they did.It isnt an ex Longs Albion but has been on the preserved circuit in a few different guises , thanks for posting John

moomooland:
4 James Nuttall Rochdale.

3 George Dew Oldham.

2 John Killingbeck Blackburn.

1 A & J Butterworth Ltd Greenfield Oldham.

0 Joseph Hoyle Transport Ltd Audenshaw Manchester.

Moo moo,

The Joseph Hoyle Atkinson is from Darley Dale Matlock,they did have a Manchester depot,I used load wire coils alongside their drivers if I returned early from Scots changeovers on nights!!

David

R. Cooper of Denton

ramone:
Can anyone remember a company from Ashton , there premises were off the beaten track on the Oldham to Ashton rd on the left up a country lane . Could have been Higgins or Hibberts Warehousing , they had some brown motors a Marathon drawbar and and ERF unit to name two . It was a bonded warehouse the owner was an ex seargent major from the army apparently , he ruled with an iron fist . We loaded out of there in the late `80s for Du Forest at Trafford Park usually bales for Italy

It was E.H Hibberts Park Bridge or Parr Bridge Works the owner was Norman Hibbert As you say it was a bonded warehouse storing mainly bales of cotton grey cloth as we used to deliver to them and also load their vehicles at Bergen Tsp. ( at Monton then later T/Park) The Marathon I think they bought new or nearly new and was originally a unit and run as an artic for a few years before being converted to run as 4 wheeler. They also bought a new F88 around the same time as the Marathon, they also ran a Clydesdale which I think the marathon conversion replaced.Their original colour was dark blue before they changed to brown. Had a thing about cab windows open wth radios on.

Dave.h:

ramone:

It was E.H Hibberts Park Bridge or Parr Bridge Works the owner was Norman Hibbert As you say it was a bonded warehouse storing mainly bales of cotton grey cloth as we used to deliver to them and also load their vehicles at Bergen Tsp. ( at Monton then later T/Park) The Marathon I think they bought new or nearly new and was originally a unit and run as an artic for a few years before being converted to run as 4 wheeler. They also bought a new F88 around the same time as the Marathon, they also ran a Clydesdale which I think the marathon conversion replaced.Their original colour was dark blue before they changed to brown. Had a thing about cab windows open wth radios on.

Thats the place Dave, i once went there on a friday morning and was loaded very quickly but there was a problem with paperwork. It was absolutely bucketing down with rain and after waiting half a hour i went back to their office and they said there was still no paperwork from Du Forest at Trafford Park. I asked if i could use their phone ,i was told no way theres a phone at the top of the hill use that , bearing in mind i was stood outside throughout the conversation and dripping wet. So off i went up the hill rang Du Forest and they sorted it there and then . I walked back down and collected the paperwork and off i went … Now you mention he had a problem with windows open and radios on , well he had a problem with noise so a week later i had a collection in Warrington with a fridge then to Hibberts . The collection needed to be kept under 20 degrees or something similar and as it was may time there was no need for the fridge to be on until it was on route to Italy . Well i got to the end of the road fired the fridge up and pulled into his yard. He came marching over and ordered me to turn it off , i said yes if he was prepared to pay for damages to the goods , i was loaded and out of his yard in record time no waiting for paperwork he was livid ,what goes around comes around sometimes :wink:

moomooland:
4 James Nuttall Rochdale.

3 George Dew Oldham.

2 John Killingbeck Blackburn.

1 A & J Butterworth Ltd Greenfield Oldham.

0 Joseph Hoyle Transport Ltd Audenshaw Manchester.

That AJ Butterworth waggon brings back fond memories…
They were based at Chew Valley Road, Greenfield.
I was born a mile or so away from their yard & as a young kid I used to often walk by & look at 'em & think HOW BIG!
They also owned a bicycle repair shop where I had an old Viking racer repaired in the early 80’s.
Funnily enough the shop has been closed for years now but from the front it’s almost a timewarp building & as for Butterworth’s yard that’s now a small housing development.

sweet truck haul:
That AJ Butterworth waggon brings back fond memories…
They were based at Chew Valley Road, Greenfield.
I was born a mile or so away from their yard & as a young kid I used to often walk by & look at 'em & think HOW BIG!
They also owned a bicycle repair shop where I had an old Viking racer repaired in the early 80’s.
Funnily enough the shop has been closed for years now but from the front it’s almost a timewarp building & as for Butterworth’s yard that’s now a small housing development.

Fuel pump.jpg This was Butterworth’s old fuel pump at Road End Garage on Chew Valley Road in Greenfield.
The company has long since gone but the fuel pump is actually still there today, as you can see here on Google Street View.

Anybody remember Law Brother’s from Worsley Rd,Swinton? Seem to remember they always had rolls of paper loaded.

i remember them dave green motors did a lot for convoys to the papers ive never seen any pics tho

Yeh that’s em.my neighbour drove for them and one day he brought his new tractor unit home for my dad to look over.it even had a telly in the cab!We didn’t even have one in the house!thanks for replying. Best wishes,Dave.

bob-lad:
i remember them dave green motors did a lot for convoys to the papers ive never seen any pics tho

Hi Bob-lad.
I remember Convoys. Can you recall Law Brothers green Leyland Lynxes and day cab Scammell Crusaders based near Swinton used to do similar work For Manchester based news print.
The only one time I carried paper was a return load from MATs yard Felixtowe docks about 1974. I worked for MAT transport and had too pick up a flat trailer that was a damaged TILT that hit a low bridge somewhere abroad. A few MATS drivers helped to load and sheet, must have been 3 high and used old thin railway type sleepers to chock to bed. Sheeted up with two old TILT sheets and plenty of rope. The next day I pulled into MATs yard at MIFT Trafford Park and got a commendation from a visiting gaffer from Hull, Brian Perry.
He said I was a credit to the company for neat tidy load but I did not tell him I had tons of help sheeting up. Plenty of forelock touching from me but no extra bonus. MATs had TILTS and Containers and very rare we did any drivers do any roping and sheeting. The load was booked in for the next day at Bowaters Levenshulme but hard work folding up damaged TILT sheets.
Regards Kev

kevmorrow:

bob-lad:

Hi Bob-lad.
I remember Convoys. Can you recall Law Brothers green Leyland Lynxes and day cab Scammell Crusaders based near Swinton used to do similar work For Manchester based news print.
The only one time I carried paper was a return load from MATs yard Felixtowe docks about 1974. I worked for MAT transport and had too pick up a flat trailer that was a damaged TILT that hit a low bridge somewhere abroad. A few MATS drivers helped to load and sheet, must have been 3 high and used old thin railway type sleepers to chock to bed. Sheeted up with two old TILT sheets and plenty of rope. The next day I pulled into MATs yard at MIFT Trafford Park and got a commendation from a visiting gaffer from Hull, Brian Perry.
He said I was a credit to the company for neat tidy load but I did not tell him I had tons of help sheeting up. Plenty of forelock touching from me but no extra bonus. MATs had TILTS and Containers and very rare we did any drivers do any roping and sheeting. The load was booked in for the next day at Bowaters Levenshulme but hard work folding up damaged TILT sheets.
Regards Kev

Hiya,
Those tilt things and MAT’s had some horrors, I’ve pulled many could be
bloody hard work especially if a strip down was required I could rope
and sheet a flat trailer and be on my way in half the time it took to put
one of MAT’s tilts back together and when buying new covers they must
have requested the heaviest material they could but if there was no
forklift handy to put the sheet on top you would certainly struggle and
possibly hurt yourself trying to get one on top of a tilt frame single-
handed, I had no love for tilts on general haulage.
thanks harry, long retired.

B, Barnes & Sons Ltd of Rawtenstall who closed down in January 2000.

Auction.png

harry_gill:

kevmorrow:

bob-lad:

Hi Bob-lad.
Regards Kev

Hiya,
Those tilt things and MAT’s had some horrors, I’ve pulled many could be
bloody hard work especially if a strip down was required I could rope
and sheet a flat trailer and be on my way in half the time it took to put
one of MAT’s tilts back together and when buying new covers they must
have requested the heaviest material they could but if there was no
forklift handy to put the sheet on top you would certainly struggle and
possibly hurt yourself trying to get one on top of a tilt frame single-
handed, I had no love for tilts on general haulage.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hiya Harry.
Noticed MAT Transport (trucknet) has been quiet for quite a while. I left about 1976 “over 40 years ago”. Do you still keep in touch with Cliff Carl? Regards Kev