Northwest Trucks

Wasn’t there a Leyland 6-legger called a “Bear”. :question:

Chris Webb:

Yes Chris, designed as a tipper or mixer chassis.

Super Comet 20.
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -announced

Pete.

Leyland Bear " borrowed " from Bubblemans thread :blush:

Regards. John.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

Super Comet 20.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,thought so. :smiley:

I’ve got a Leyland Bear badge, can’t recall where it came from now, maybe from one of our many scouting trips for parts at the local Dismantlers. I hadn’t heard about the Bear so looked into it at the time, it doesn’t seem to appear much in photo’s. Cheers Franky.

old 67:
Regards. John.

That’s nailed it, they were Super Comet 20. Game, set and match. Case closed. :slight_smile:

This fleet shot, taken in 1981 at James Nuttall’s old depot on Victor Street in Hollinwood near Oldham, shows how the fleet at that time consisted of just British built vehicles such as Foden, ERF, Seddon Atkinson and even a few Ford '‘D’ Series vans.
A far cry from today with no British lorry manufacture left to buy from James Nuttall’s fleet is now made up of all but Scania vehicles.

Pictured here when brand new on trade plates, before being registered in March 1989, is an ERF E14 4X2 tractor unit hauling a York 40 foot tandem axle box van trailer operated by James Nuttall (Transport) Limited of Rochdale.
Seen here during a publicity photo shot, beneath junction 21 of the M62 at Milnrow, It was one of a number of ERF E14 ■■■■■■■ powered tractor units introduced into the fleet that year.

During 1995/6 James Nuttall (Transport) Ltd of Rochdale introduced these 12 ■■■■■■■ powered ERF EC14 6x2 tractor units into their fleet.
The picture above, taken in the depot at Rochdale in 1996, shows 12 ERF EC14 6x2 tractor units and trailers lined up for a photo shoot.

Click on any picture above to view it full size on your screen.

Chris Webb:

windrush:

Chris Webb:

Super Comet 20.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,thought so. :smiley:

There was a Leyland Retriever 6 wheeler , Richard Nuttall at Edenfield had 1 … but that was an Ergo :wink:

Here is an LAD cabbed Retriever.
Imgur
Regards. john.

Hi
Those ERF 4x2s look just like 6x2s

Cheers
Rich

Scott’s of Oldham driver Arthur Wilson is seen here stood next to AEC Mercury Reg No PBU 800F
when it was brand new in 1967.
This was one of the nine AEC Mercury’s which Scott’s had in their fleet in the late 60s and early 70s.
Arthur worked for Scott’s for 25 years from 1955 through to his retirement 1980.

Terry Grindon drove this former Wilson’s Brewery ERF KV four wheeler dray wagon.
Contrary to the Gardner 240 badge on the front it was actually powered by a little Gardner 4LK engine which
did 23 mpg and had a top speed of 46 mph.
Terry drove it from 1973 to 1976 all over the country even adapting the three man crew cab into a form of sleeper cab.

gingerfold:

old 67:

Regards. John.

Super Comet 20 Mixer.

That’s nailed it, they were Super Comet 20. Game, set and match. Case closed. :slight_smile:

Job sorted then, we all know that they actually existed. The silence is deafening from the doubter in ■■■■■■■ though! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pete.

One of Beattie’s Dodge’s.

Click on page twice to read.

I remember Beaties. Was it Beaties who carted coal coke from Bradford Manchester Gas works and Coal pit about 1960? Before the introduction of smokeless zones 1965 most factories had coal coke delivered for heating.
The first YouTube link Is Pathe news The Mancunian way 1967 and halfway into film there is a Beaties lorry. The next is Harold Wilson opening the Mancunian Way 1967. People from other parts of the country knowing how rainy it is thought the Mancunian way was having ■■■ with an umbrella! The other links are my school Stretford Road secondary modern. From age 11 I worked at Kings Motorbikes most evenings after leaving school and surrounding districts about the same era 1960. A few of my mates worked at DOT motorcycle factory near the Mancunian way. Duerrs jam factory near Vimto Nicholson’s moved later years to Wythenshawe. Our coal supplier was Peels who had a yard at Old Trafford and near Dumplington circle Trafford Park; I believe they are the same family who own the Trafford Centre. Peel holdings and not sure about the old power station site?
If you have trouble opening the following Type Pathe news Mancunian Way 1967.
youtube.com/watch?v=NTKP66S0iKc
youtube.com/watch?v=3drTk6rAzVI
youtube.com/watch?v=4C76qxFzmAA
youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_n4CchGLg
youtube.com/watch?v=4udnr6vMeMk
youtube.com/watch?v=AjjCoYt4GAY
Regards Kev

The Mancunian Way was officially opened on the 5th of May 1967 by the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson.

windrush:
Job sorted then, we all know that they actually existed. The silence is deafening from the doubter in ■■■■■■■ though! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pete.

When he spots the picture Windrush,there will be a host of excuses coming this way!!!

David

gingerfold:

gingerfold:

old 67:
Regards. John.

Super Comet 20 Mixer.

Well if you were to swap the grille it would be an Albion Reiver ! surely, so it was just “Badge Engineering” by Leyland, I’ll bet they were even built up at Scotstoun :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smith & Sons of Cliviger Near Burnley.

British Fuels Foden from Whalley Bank Blackburn

Plus just to throw another Leyland 6 legger into the mix how about this Hippo. Sorry chaps :unamused: :wink: