Noisy Compressor

I do some hydraulic breakdown work, last week I saw a new compressor on a tanker, think it was drum, Wow was it noisy, looks nice and small but the noise was terrible, Anyone else have an opinion on these.

I know a guy who used to drive a crossland tanker that had a compressor mounted at the back of the cab with a square casing called a titan with a voac motor fitted, he said this compressor had outlived 3 trucks and was only topped up with oil every 2 years, and was very quiet. Im surprised there are not more of these around, maybe i dont see any as they dont break down.

cobra:
I do some hydraulic breakdown work, last week I saw a new compressor on a tanker, think it was drum, Wow was it noisy, looks nice and small but the noise was terrible, Anyone else have an opinion on these.

I know a guy who used to drive a crossland tanker that had a compressor mounted at the back of the cab with a square casing called a titan with a voac motor fitted, he said this compressor had outlived 3 trucks and was only topped up with oil every 2 years, and was very quiet. Im surprised there are not more of these around, maybe i dont see any as they dont break down.

There many factories now who will not allow truck mounted discharge because of environmental issues. At my last job the trucks had 240v / 400v mains powered electric motors to drive the compressor or pumps as well, otherwise the factory had land based air supplies

Wheel Nut:

cobra:

There many factories now who will not allow truck mounted discharge because of environmental issues. At my last job the trucks had 240v / 400v mains powered electric motors to drive the compressor or pumps as well, otherwise the factory had land based air supplies

There are more pumps on tankers for sure, but they come with there own problems depending wht is being discharged. I saw a discharge compressor on a bitumin tanker you could only tell it was running because a cooling fan was turning. It looked like a small motorbike engine. Ran almost silent. Most firms seem to fit the same old vane compressor that are in my opinion unreliable and noisy. I guess they are cheap.

Gardner Denver certainly aint cheap, but they are reliable… provided the driver has some clue what he is doing. Any compressor running backwards will ZB it up. easily done, but also easily avoidable :laughing: