No Work for you.

Right this is a bit weird.

I booked a holiday for one day.Now lets say it was a tuesday i was off.I spent most of the afternoon at the hospital for appointment that went deeper etc time wise.i left my phone in my car whislt i attended.
Now on my holiday form i put i was returning lets say wednesday (the next day)

My work place txted me a start time for my return shift,as i cudnt confirm untill a few hours i was told no work tommorrow.I questioned this as im full time.Im then told we didnt no if u was ok or been in a accident as you didny respond.

Now i know this is 50/50 as im to blame for not being by my phone to reply but as im full time surely they could of found me sumthing to do ie shut etc instead of loss of days pay?

Any advice?

Communication. It’s a two way thing

If it’s a holiday then they know exactly when your are due back in so they should assume that unless they are told otherwise you’ll be there.
On our place if your off sick then you have to inform them by 3pm the day before if you intend to be back in the day after.
But as you said if you put in a holiday then what they did is wrong and you should still be paid,plus technically you don’t have to reply to their texts as that is classed as you working so they should reimburse your holiday day if you had of replied,technically :smiley:

ckm1981:
If it’s a holiday then they know exactly when your are due back in so they should assume that unless they are told otherwise you’ll be there.
On our place if your off sick then you have to inform them by 3pm the day before if you intend to be back in the day after.
But as you said if you put in a holiday then what they did is wrong and you should still be paid,plus technically you don’t have to reply to their texts as that is classed as you working so they should reimburse your holiday day if you had of replied,technically :smiley:

This is what i thought.

I was told they dont want a truck sat there not earning if i fail to turn in but i have said if i have a copy of the holiday form which states that im back that day if i choose otherwise i am rightly in trouble if i dont inform them!!

midlifetrucker:
Communication. It’s a two way thing

+1

That’s one of the major drawbacks of the mobile phone, people expect you to be at the end of it 24/7 and respond within seconds of them either calling or sending a text. As far as my firm as concerned I don’t have a phone which initially caused a bit of debate as they couldn’t understand who anybody could survive without one… what a sad state of affairs.

Sad you have lost your day pay.
Does your company normaly calling/texting to you on weekends to confirm that you are still fit for your shift on monday?
Bit unfair I’d say. Your phone could of been lost, damaged etc.
If I want to be 100% sure that other person will get my message I’d give a call. Not texting, voicemail, email.
Simple call!

I can see both sides of the coin. They need to know the staffing situation, as they need to plan efficiently and make sure the customer is catered for. Maybe they could’ve booked an agency, then cancelled them, I don’t know your companies policy on that. I would still have reported in at 0700 myself though, lack of work is their problem, not mine. It’s why I have a permanent job not an agency one :wink:

My holiday forms say the same as the Op’s with regard to return date…

However, on the last working day I will remind him I’m off, and tell him I’ll be in the hospital/at a funeral or whatever, so please leave a voicemail or a text…

Not difficult…

Kate:

However, on the last working day I will remind him I’m off, and tell him I’ll be in the hospital/at a funeral or whatever, so please leave a voicemail or a text…

Not difficult…

Can’t be much clearer than giving in a holiday form that a manager will have signed stating he will be off on the Tuesday and back in on the Wednesday,that should be enough of a reminder for anyone.

I work freelance. Just started with a new firm to me. I tell him when I arrive and when I leave by text. Not knowing how he works I ask whether I should wait If held up at a job or try to get things moving. His words today. Good work mate. If only my regulars did the same.
It’s not rocket science. How difficult would it be to just ring and say I’m Defo in tomorrow. Transport doesn’t have luxurious profit buffers. If its got rubber on the rims it should be moving.

What they have done is ‘unlawful deduction of wages’

I am sure that on the ‘Monday’ they knew you had booked ‘Tuesday’ off and should have returned on ‘Wednesday’. So on the Monday you should have your start times and job details for the next working day ‘Wednesday’ As they sent you a start time then they knew you should have been in.

For them to assume that you wouldn’t, then cancel your job, is their problem not yours. Do they always send you a text this way? Do you always reply / confirm by text?

They owe you a days pay, and if you want to be extra awkward, then it should be paid at your average for the previous 12 weeks. Ask them to sort it out ASAP and confirm this in writing.

Taking this hit is another nail in the coffin of anyone earning a decent wage for a decent company.

Failing the above, smack the person responsible on the beak and consider it paid in full :slight_smile:

ckm1981:

Kate:

Not difficult…

Can’t be much clearer than giving in a holiday form that a manager will have signed stating he will be off on the Tuesday and back in on the Wednesday,that should be enough of a reminder for anyone.

This should be covered in your contract of employment. Personally, if you’ve filled your form in correctly, you have done all you need to do by way of informing your employer of your period of absence.

Unless your contract states you are to confirm your return to work at xxxxhrs the day prior, I would say you’ve been hard done by.

Covered. Contracts blah blah blah.

“Hello boss, just to confirm I am back in the morning.”.

How hard is that

midlifetrucker:

How hard is that

Why should you have to? You have put a form in to say what time you want off they have agreed to so they know when your off and when your back to work so no need for you to confirm unless your taken ill or unforeseen circumstances.
They owe the op a days wages end of, there’s to much of people taking up the arse from bosses thinking oh il get away with that one with him.

beetee07:

midlifetrucker:

How hard is that

Why should you have to? You have put a form in to say what time you want off they have agreed to so they know when your off and when your back to work so no need for you to confirm unless your taken ill or unforeseen circumstances.
They owe the op a days wages end of, there’s to much of people taking up the arse from bosses thinking oh il get away with that one with him.

+1
Unlawful ■■■■■■■■■■ end of.
(and I’m a Boss)

midlifetrucker:

How hard is that

I think you’re missing the point. Why should you need to verbally confirm something, that has already been confirmed in writing? If the requirement to phone in prior to returning from annual leave is not normal, and is not covered in your contract of employment, being docked a days wage will open the employer up for a legal claim. This is basically a case of an employer moving the goalposts, probably due to impatience.

I totally get why the employer called his driver - but you can’t go round taking money from people if you have not made them aware of this need to contact the office by a certain time.

Heavy handed, self centred behaviour.

No its not.

As others have said, why should they expect you to contact them to tell them you’ll be in when they already have it in writing that you’ll be there. He’s only been off for one day ffs. It’s not as though he’s been away for ages and is known as forgetful. I agree that it’s a ■■■■■■■■■

del949:

No its not.

[/

Within the scope of the op’s post, it sounds likely it is.

employmentlawanswered.co.uk/ … ck-my-pay/

A deduction of pay could be enforced by your employer for a variety of reasons, but that doesn’t mean it is allowed.

Firstly, you need to check your Contract of Employment and Employee Handbook to see what policies are in place to allow for deductions of pay.

There are three things you need to bear in mind;

Any deduction must be lawful
You must be notified and agree to the deduction in advance
The deduction must not leave you incapable of living