no wonder we never get anywhere!

we wonder why we never get anywhere in this industry but it seems obvious why to me.

take a look at the thread i started about the price rise on the eurotunnel and you will see a classic case.all i set out to do was have a bit of a whinge about the amount of the price rise & the fact there was no warning and get virtually accused of being a “cowboy” because i’ve found a way of making a bit of profit.

forgive me if i’m wrong but i thought that was the whole point of going to work in the first place to make money.if i’m doing so without breaking the law what is the problem?

if we have this attitude between each other then how are we supposed to convince joe public or even politicians of our worth?

Cant fault you for what you are doing. Makes very good business sense to me. Read your thread on the eurotunnel, and thought you made some valid points, eg. cost of living in your area is way above mine. Glad Im not an O/D, (I still enjoy my job, which is quite well paid, but someone else has the worry and heartache. He must be doing OK though, because the fleet has increased by about 80% since I started about a year ago.) Keep getting the cheap diesel, as long as it helps to keep your business going and making a profit
Best Regards
Trev

i ain’t a o/d either

but it makes great buisness sense if your in a position to buy fuel cheaper being abroad or here(yer fat chance)

tony needs to pull his finger out before were all on our butts

jon

I just hope that with thaty little bit of extra profit your making you are rewarding your drivers:).

jammymutt i am the only driver and as for rewards i gave myslf 2 weeks off at xmas

I put cowboy,as you say its not against the law,just against all that is british just like you are stabbing your mate in the back,and jumping the que to be first.

its interesting to note that up to this point only one person thinks it is wrong to fill up abroad and guess who that is?

Must admit, I cant see the problem. If you are able to get over onto the continent and fuel up and make it worth your while, then why not…
I bet most continental drivers fill up before coming back to blighty, and dont wait til the get to the first garage outside dover… :unamused:
Hence, I voted Canny :sunglasses:

oddsodz:
I put cowboy,as you say its not against the law,just against all that is british just like you are stabbing your mate in the back,and jumping the que to be first.

oh i see now its anti-british to make a profit i’d best pack up and go on the dole then if thats what i’m aiming for eh.

is it not also anti british to prevent a man from earning a living as you did (stopping the petrol tankers leaving the depots)or are double standards ok?

AndyM:
Must admit, I cant see the problem. If you are able to get over onto the continent and fuel up and make it worth your while, then why not…
I bet most continental drivers fill up before coming back to blighty, and dont wait til the get to the first garage outside dover… :unamused:
Hence, I voted Canny :sunglasses:

if you read my posts you would have seen that i aint to bothered about conti boys buying over there to use over here.I just feel its unfair trading if you dont go over the water to drive. The running cost can be as much as 50% lower with lower cost fuels.Just my opinion this is all i hear from my boss is the cost of fuel,then again think of it this way if people had always bought there fuel over here nightowl would not be in the hands of the receivers as they are.

well, in that case no one else is to blame apart from the thieving goverment bods that just wanna take home bigger pay from Taxes, coz at the end of the day its the Goverment Taxing us all to death that forces this issue…

Yes thats it the governments problem,couldnt agree more so as we are all in this together then we should all stick together,not get things cheaper so can brag about it, if the prise has gone up tuff.When we all can run and earn aliving without this doing it on the cheap the better

The thing is, if you have to pay for something out of your own pocket, you do the natural thing, and go where its cheap.
If its not up to you to buy it, then you just get it anywhere, coz at the end of the day, its not your money.

oddsodz:
as we are all in this together then we should all stick together

the phrase practice what you preach comes to mind

itsa not me doing things on the cheap is it

so by your reckoning everybody with a reduced pollution certificate is a cowboy because they get their road tax “cheaper” everybody else

Okay guys, I think we have all made our thoughts known… time to calm it down a bit??, can see this getting a tad on the nasty side… :blush: :blush:

north surrey haulage:
so by your reckoning everybody with a reduced pollution certificate is a cowboy because they get their road tax “cheaper” everybody else

no cus that is down to the governmant the incentive to use 6 axles with euro 3/4 engines.So this brings you and me down to level ■■■■■■■ with belgium,why do you think the dutch and belgiums come over here to do traction its not the cheap fuel they bring with them,its cus the rate is better,they get 25% less per mile than the uk trucks do

AndyM:
Okay guys, I think we have all made our thoughts known… time to calm it down a bit??, can see this getting a tad on the nasty side… :blush: :blush:

All i have done is voiced my opinians,north surry has asked me to answer his threads that i am doing…

i’m not trying to be nasty andy or personal i’m just trying to see his justification for what he says and as far as i can make out he thinks i’m a cowboy because i can buy things cheaper than his boss.

i’m sorry but i take offence at being called a cowboy especially when the only argument for doing so is because you buy goods/services cheaper than sombody else if you follow his thinking then everybody who:-

gets cheaper insurance
pays his drivers less
pays less rent
gets a good discount when buying parts
negociates a good price on a new vehicle/fleet
etc etc

is a cowboy!