No wonder there's so many foreigners in our industry

Went into a place to collect a load this morning and was told I would be loaded in 20 mins so I opened up the curtains and got back in the cab and put the kettle on.
Over an hour later forklift comes along and starts loading. He loads all but four pallets and then disappears. After waiting a while I decide to go and find out what the problem was only to be told that he was on his break, his hour long break that was. When he got back he put the last four pallets on which took about a minute and a half. I asked him could he not have done that before he took his break to which he replied “I go on break at ten past twelve mate sorry”. I just left it at that and went on.
When I got to the the delivery I was two hours early but a foreign chap unloaded the trailer straight away and even started opening the curtain before I got out, something I’ve never seen before from a forklift driver, usually you would think they were glued to the seat of the forklift.

Cat
Pigeons
Thrown
Amongst :laughing:

Not even a real forkie until they have jammed the forks through the curtains … but your right, what harm would it have done for a couple of minutes?

brados:
Not even a real forkie until they have jammed the forks through the curtains … but your right, what harm would it have done for a couple of minutes?

Had one a couple of weeks ago attempt to snap an internal strap with the fork because he couldn’t wait a few seconds for me to take it off.

Get lazy forigeners too. Bad attitude and poor management lets these clowns grt away with things.

I have had this too, got to a pick up early…went into the office just to let them know I was there but was early no pressure.
Got back to truck European forky had opened my curtains for me and then help me unstrap.
I was out of there in 20 mins.

One problem you can get is stupid managers creating bolshy staff. The forky gets bollocked a couple of times for being two minutes late off his break; he thinks right - bugger that, I will work to rule.

possibly the forkie HAS to go and return from his breaks at set times.
Possibly he was in dispute with management and working to rule
possibly he was just having a crap day. :smiley:

Whats the problem you were two hours early to get tipped if the man as to take his break at a set time why should he do without, would you move on a 45 at 40mins its got ■■■■ all to do with foreigners :unamused:

When I used to run a warehouse we would always try and finish off loading/unloading before going for a break but occasionally the job had to be left for half an hour half way through or else a break would never be taken. One thing I always insisted on was that the lads always told the driver if they were going for a break and to let them know that they were more than welcome to use the canteen.

brados:

Takes me back to doing dockwork in the 70s
regards dave.

BIG AW:
Whats the problem you were two hours early to get tipped if the man as to take his break at a set time why should he do without, would you move on a 45 at 40mins its got [zb] all to do with foreigners :unamused:[/

It was planed for me to drop that trailer in our yard and deliver another load in the meantime but that plan had to be scraped. If he had have got a move on he would have easily got the trailer loaded in time for his break but he chose to take his sweet time about it and obviously didn’t give a toss about who it was affecting.

BIG AW:
Whats the problem you were two hours early to get tipped if the man as to take his break at a set time why should he do without, would you move on a 45 at 40mins its got [zb] all to do with foreigners :unamused:

I’m struggling to see what it’s got to do with foreigners too. Or is one instance a true reflection of them all then?

Left hand down!:

BIG AW:
Whats the problem you were two hours early to get tipped if the man as to take his break at a set time why should he do without, would you move on a 45 at 40mins its got [zb] all to do with foreigners :unamused:

I’m struggling to see what it’s got to do with foreigners too. Or is one instance a true reflection of them all then?

I never said it was a reflection of them all so don’t try to twist it but in this instance Foreign lad went out of his way to be helpful whereas local lad went out of his way to be unhelpful and I’ve made an observation based on that instance,feel free to draw your own conclusion.

jay0:
Went into a place to collect a load this morning and was told I would be loaded in 20 mins so I opened up the curtains and got back in the cab and put the kettle on.
Over an hour later forklift comes along and starts loading. He loads all but four pallets and then disappears. After waiting a while I decide to go and find out what the problem was only to be told that he was on his break, his hour long break that was. When he got back he put the last four pallets on which took about a minute and a half. I asked him could he not have done that before he took his break to which he replied “I go on break at ten past twelve mate sorry”. I just left it at that and went on.
When I got to the the delivery I was two hours early but a foreign chap unloaded the trailer straight away and even started opening the curtain before I got out, something I’ve never seen before from a forklift driver, usually you would think they were glued to the seat of the forklift.

Hi Jay, i too am struggling to see a relevance to “foreigners” in your post. But from what you’ve posted the first forkie appears to know when his break is due. You however just appear to want to get on, BTW my whole career has been spent as a lorry driver who just wants to get on and catch up. Because he’s done what he’s supposed to do and its impacted on you who probably spends his whole life catching up, and a foreigner helps you to unload quickly we’re to assume that “foreigners” are the way to a quick tip and allow you to get on with your life easily ?

Lets be more open minded than that Jay, lets assume theirs a whole lot of foreigners who are ready and willing to do your job, sit their and shut up and still get tipped by an eager “foreign forkie” !!! And they’ll do it for 20% less than you with no Beef?

Maybe there’s not enough Foreigners in our Industry ?!!! :laughing:
I can’t stand them Brits, they all seem to want to do whats best for themselves. “Foreigners” all seem to do, well…whatever is best for the economy? Thats it !!! We’ve gone bust because of lazy British workers!!! More Foreigners, thats the answer !!!

jay0:

Left hand down!:

BIG AW:

I never said it was a reflection of them all so don’t try to twist it but in this instance Foreign lad went out of his way to be helpful whereas local lad went out of his way to be unhelpful and I’ve made an observation based on that instance,feel free to draw your own conclusion.

So again, one instance of one “Foreign lad” helping you vs. one instance of one local lad not helping you is justification for a “no wonder there’s so many foreigner**s** in our industry” thread?

OK then. If you say so. :confused:

We’ll maybe I should just change the title of the thread to “everyone have a go at me because I’ve said something positive about a foreigner” I guarentee if it was the other way round everyone and their dog would be on here saying how useless and unhelpful foreigners are.

jay0:
We’ll maybe I should just change the title of the thread to “everyone have a go at me because I’ve said something positive about a foreigner” I guarentee if it was the other way round everyone and their dog would be on here saying how useless and unhelpful foreigners are.

jAY, foreigners are just people like you and me. There’s good ones, theres bad ones. There’s also employees who know what time there break is, there’s also employees who are on job and knock. You seem to have come across two opposite ends of the scenario and deduced that all foreigners are good because of this experience. Thats simplistic and childlike to make such an assumption. Thats all.

Ok thanks for the imput. This thread can be locked.

jay0:
Ok thanks for the imput. This thread can be locked.

Sorry but there are no helpful foreigners around at the moment to do that, and the “local lads” are on their break. :smiley: