No stopping

I was thinking of applying to DPD, but is it true you can’t stop anywhere?
What happens if you’re working nights on a 200 mile night run, it’s your first night on, you tried to get some sleep but you got disturbed, it’s 3 in the morning, a five minute stop and a strong coffee is all you need, but you can’t stop!

Sploom:
What happens if you’re working nights on a 200 mile night run, it’s your first night on, you tried to get some sleep but you got disturbed, it’s 3 in the morning, a five minute stop and a strong coffee is all you need, but you can’t stop!

Yes you can stop.
Call ops and tell them you need/had a comfort break and require a stop code.
Rule number 1 CYA!

If you need to stop - you stop .
You don’t need permission from some monkey in an office with a toilet down the hall to give you " permission to stop". Grow up and act like a responsible adult not a 3 year old child .

Sploom:

Of course you can stop ffs. :unamused:
Has the job really come to this where drivers are intimidated and ruled by officious d/heads who make up their own stupid ■■■■ rules??
Jesus :unamused:

I’m on a night trunk on M6, feeling tired struggling to keep my eyes open.
Do I stop for a walk around, coffee, quick nap o(or all 3) , or take notice of some stupid ■■■■ rule made by stupid ■■■■ people,.and risk crossing over into the northbound carriageway…now let me think about that one…hmmm.

I did a bonded collection last year, was told to take my break in their yard and was 2.5hrs from mine. Pulled away after my break had ended and got an hour or so up the road and started feeling sick. Pulled in at Donnington services and barfed behind my trailer (couldn’t make it to the toilets).

Whilst chucking up my phone was ringing, when I rang back I was told I couldn’t stop under any circumstances, so I told them if it ever happens again I’m just gonna chunder all over the dash and passenger seat, throw them the keys and book it off for cleaning. [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

robroy:

Sploom:

Has the job really come to this where drivers are intimidated and ruled by officious d/heads who make up their own stupid [zb] rules??

Do I stop for a walk around, coffee, quick nap o(or all 3) , or take notice of some stupid [zb] rule made by stupid [zb] people,.and risk crossing over into the northbound carriageway…now let me think about that one…hmmm.

Hi Rob… i stop if i have to, but once i am back on the road i call and say " need a code as i have had to have a break/rest/■■■■/crap (insert whatever you need)" never had a problem, and the majority of people in office are ex drivers so know the score

As someone who regularly carries high value loads and who has also fallen asleep driving… I would just call and tell them (not ask) if needed. And only if they supply a phone.

As a brand new pass on here I was ridiculed for both being a rubbish driver and also doing what I was told. Driving back actually in Birch Coppice Business Park in Tamworth I was in a bay way, the next moment I woke up. Before that I’d been swaying like a fool, even thought I had aliens heading towards my cab. I’ll never do it again.

It’s just a job. If they don’t like it let them sack you. I have had a kip and overslept more than once. At sainsburys I ended up having a night out paid straight through! Including the 8 hour shift for the 2 hours work running it back in. At eurocarparts I did get interrogates but lied through my teeth and said I was blocked in by a car and didn’t have phone access. Don’t regret either situation. I needed the sleep and i got it.

Their line of thinking is that all of the crap that people have bought off Amazon or Ebay is high value and therefore a high theft target, so they don’t want you stopping in public areas.
If you need to stop for whatever reason, you are supposed to ring them so they can try and divert you to your nearest DPD yard in order to take a break there.
If you were to stop in a services or lay bye and by some coincidence your vehicle got stolen, they would assume you had something to do with it, and not only would you be out the door, they would also try and get you done for the theft

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sploom:

It’s standard practice in that sector of the industry.It means no ‘unauthorised’/‘uninformed’ stops not no stops.IE they need to know if/when/where you’re going to make a stop for whatever reason so you call the office/night manager on the phone.

While I generally very rarely needed to stop even doing a run like Feltham to Charnock or Dewsbury.Usually always taking an hour break at destination then run back.It was no big deal and I found the hour off much better than small breaks here and there.

When i did agency for a while there was a no stopping rule at one place, i never took a blind bit of notice of it and nothing was ever said, used to carry a decent padlock and slip it on the back doors for my own peace of mind whilst away from the vehicle and would park so the back of the vehicle was visible to other drivers and not tucked away out of sight, you’d be daft to leave valuable load with just a plastic seal and out of sight.

OK, thanks for the replies, sorry that one of you had to insult me.

Hi

Andy’s correct, just ring up and they give you a code. It’s not hard work and they’re a nice lot, I always thought

Considering it’s one of the easiest jobs I’ve had, I think it’s a small price to pay

andy187:

robroy:

Sploom:

Has the job really come to this where drivers are intimidated and ruled by officious d/heads who make up their own stupid [zb] rules??

Do I stop for a walk around, coffee, quick nap o(or all 3) , or take notice of some stupid [zb] rule made by stupid [zb] people,.and risk crossing over into the northbound carriageway…now let me think about that one…hmmm.

Hi Rob… i stop if i have to, but once i am back on the road i call and say " need a code as i have had to have a break/rest/■■■■/crap (insert whatever you need)" never had a problem, and the majority of people in office are ex drivers so know the score

Ok, but I still think it’s a bit ott mate.
The fact that you need to stop for whatever reason should be just taken for granted, if you take the ■■■■ that is a different issue, to just deal with individually.
As for what is essentially asking permission to go to the bog :open_mouth: ,…it just smacks a bit of being back at school imo. :unamused:

I get the valuable load thing, I carry them myself,.and use a bit of common where and when I stop or park, and regularly monitor who is following me, but if you are tracked that should be enough, with a quick text to keep em informed, saying ‘NEED to stop for x no of minutes’ .
That should suffice in an adult world. :bulb:

I mean, are you seriously telling me that some 2hat has actually sat down and devised a code system, to the point where stopping for a crap is a different code no to stopping for a ■■■■, or a quick power nap? :open_mouth: :unamused: …sounds as if that guy’s wages are money well spent eh? :unamused:

I find myself asking myself more and more these days, (and more so in the last 10 years for some reason) the question…
‘‘WTF Has this job evolved and deteriorated to??’’…and also why did drivers not nip it in the bud at day 1.

robroy:
As for what is essentially asking permission to go to the bog :open_mouth: ,…it just smacks a bit of being back at school imo. :unamused:

I don’t ask… i tell them

I remember I worked for the Royal mail for a few shifts on the agency, you can’t stop with them either, but the problem is, it’s all timed to the nearest minute, if you stop for ten minutes, all the vans are waiting for you to come, you will cause them to be leaving late on their delivery

The rule at our place is phone security & ask !! So this subby ( in a van ) on route to Glasgow phones up and is told " no you know the rules no stopping " So this poor guy gets to Glasgow sitting in a puddle of ■■■■ . Now if i have to stop i phone & tell them i do not ask & i have never heard a thing . These SOPs do not over rule Tacho rules or comfort breaks no matter what they tell you !!!

Sploom:
I remember I worked for the Royal mail for a few shifts on the agency, you can’t stop with them either, but the problem is, it’s all timed to the nearest minute, if you stop for ten minutes, all the vans are waiting for you to come, you will cause them to be leaving late on their delivery

So in other words the crap and incompetent ■■■■ poor planning is on the backs of the drivers. :unamused:

Is it just me or what? :unamused:

Juddian:
When i did agency for a while there was a no stopping rule at one place, i never took a blind bit of notice of it and nothing was ever said, used to carry a decent padlock and slip it on the back doors for my own peace of mind whilst away from the vehicle and would park so the back of the vehicle was visible to other drivers and not tucked away out of sight, you’d be daft to leave valuable load with just a plastic seal and out of sight.

Exactly that. I used to take a pallet of bricks with me some cement and few gallon of water. Build a brick wall. Reverse back onto wall so noone could get in and nip in for a quick ■■■■. Your not the only clever driver to grace the planet.

And just so you know any padlock can be cut off using a grinder. Id be in and out in minutes with a couple of transits with fake plates on no problem.

Sploom:

Thats Royal Mails problem
Ive said it before and ill say it again, if stopping for ten minutes for a cup or tea or a ■■■■ causes loads to be late then the issue isnt me stopping, its with however planned a run that tight.

Years ago there was a story about an agency guy who did trunks from up North back down to (I think) Glasgow. A few times he stopped as he felt tired and the company complained to his agency as the runs were timed. He stopped taking those power naps and one night he fell asleep at the wheel, smashed into an oncoming Argos lorry and took out a people carrier, killing one of the parents and the kid.
And for what? A ■■■■■■■ delivery?
No company should be telling you that you can’t stop.

I solve the issue of load theft by carrying tat that’s not even worthy of being stolen :laughing: