No smoking signage

I know its illegal not to have some type of “no smoking” sign in a company vehicle, & that you should defect it if its missing, but in reality a company won’t VOR a motor for this. So how much is the fine? and who’s liable if your stopped on the road, you for taking the vehicle out with it missing? or the operator? or both?

I don’t have a no smoking sign in my truck, because I am special :wink:

I’m sat in mine now and I don’t have a no smoking sign. :confused:

I don’t have 1 :cry:

I also don’t have a height limit sigh :confused: :confused:

Mind you the op could be right as my missus is a driving instructor and she has to have them displayed.

i aint got 1 in mine either, did get spot checked before i left the yard a couple of weeks ago and it was noticed i didnt have a no smoking sign in the cab, but nothing has been mentioned about it since

In reality nothing would be done, it’s another stupid ‘law’ that no one can do anything about. Vosa might tell an operator to fit them but I can’t honestly see it going any further. Not having a vehicle height indicator is naughty though Pavaroti, it’s an easy defect for Vosa to pick up on at a roadside inspection and you will get a fine. Just write it on a bit of paper and stick it to the dash, it doesn’t need to be one of the ones you buy.

I had a new windscreen a while back, and of course the “no smoking” sticker wouldn’t peel off, so I didn’t bother asking the boss for a new one. Two weeks later the lorry had an FTA inspection, the omission was noted and reported; boss has sticker available the next day, calls me over, gives me the sticker with a polite comment about it being “illegal” not to have one.

Funny, it took them about two months to replace the spray suppressor that was damaged and noted in the same report. Go figure.

baby seal:
In reality nothing would be done, it’s another stupid ‘law’ that no one can do anything about. Vosa might tell an operator to fit them but I can’t honestly see it going any further. Not having a vehicle height indicator is naughty though Pavaroti, it’s an easy defect for Vosa to pick up on at a roadside inspection and you will get a fine. Just write it on a bit of paper and stick it to the dash, it doesn’t need to be one of the ones you buy.

Thanks for that info was thinking that was maybe so. :bulb: im doing an agency shift tomorow i’ll half inch one for my own wagon. :grimacing:

bald bloke:
Mind you the op could be right as my missus is a driving instructor and she has to have them displayed.

you only have to have them if the vechile is a shared vechile or members of the public use them

baby seal:

what if you know that your truck never runs over say a certain height, eg you know the height because you cant go over that height?

Harry Monk:
I don’t have a no smoking sign in my truck, because I am special …

… needs? :wink: :grimacing:

chris_g:

bald bloke:

you only have to have them if the vechile is a shared vechile or members of the public use them

The unit I’m in is a shared one amongst 48 drivers but it certainty ain’t got no sign anywhere.

gnasty gnome:

Harry Monk:
I don’t have a no smoking sign in my truck, because I am special …

… needs? :wink: :grimacing:

Yes, but also I have a letter from The Authorities giving me permission to smoke in my truck (or, more accurately, my employer’s truck). Therefore I am special. :smiley:

gogzy:

baby seal:

what if you know that your truck never runs over say a certain height, eg you know the height because you cant go over that height?

That wont come into it. You just need one fitted, if you haven’t they wont care why.

Pavaroti you say the things most of us are afraid to and for that I salute you!

i used to have one in mine, but i rolled it up and smoked it :slight_smile:

bluenose:
I know its illegal not to have some type of “no smoking” sign in a company vehicle, & that you should defect it if its missing, but in reality a company won’t VOR a motor for this. So how much is the fine? and who’s liable if your stopped on the road, you for taking the vehicle out with it missing? or the operator? or both?

Its nothing to do with you or VOSA. Its not a defect and its not something you need to check for. Its a best practice requirement/rule of EU legislation to deter smoking in the workplace.

chris_g:

Does that mean I cant smoke in my coach then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gogzy:

Still required. What gets me though is that when you go to a yard to pick up a trailer, there’s usually nowhere you can go to safely measure it and as climbing on the back of the cab breaches Elfin Safety, how are you supposed to measure the height?