No smoking signage

Conor:

gogzy:
what if you know that your truck never runs over say a certain height, eg you know the height because you cant go over that height?

Still required. What gets me though is that when you go to a yard to pick up a trailer, there’s usually nowhere you can go to safely measure it and as climbing on the back of the cab breaches Elfin Safety, how are you supposed to measure the height?

True, the simplest answer to this would be to have the overall depth of the trailer marked somewhere on the front, then you could just measure from the ground to the base of the trailer and add the two figures together to give your overall running height.

Quite why nobody (apart from me :wink: ) has thought of this yet is beyond me.

Harry Monk:

Conor:

gogzy:
what if you know that your truck never runs over say a certain height, eg you know the height because you cant go over that height?

Still required. What gets me though is that when you go to a yard to pick up a trailer, there’s usually nowhere you can go to safely measure it and as climbing on the back of the cab breaches Elfin Safety, how are you supposed to measure the height?

True, the simplest answer to this would be to have the overall depth of the trailer marked somewhere on the front, then you could just measure from the ground to the base of the trailer and add the two figures together to give your overall running height.

Quite why nobody (apart from me :wink: ) has thought of this yet is beyond me.

Harry, who else has had the time to think about it? :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

The RHA, the FTA, truck manufacturers, trailer manufacturers… :wink:

Harry Monk:

Trev_H:

The RHA, the FTA, truck manufacturers, trailer manufacturers… :wink:

Yes but no of them can agree on anything, suggest it to them Harry ! :sunglasses:

i have a sign in my cab saying…NO ENTRY TO NON SMOKERS…go and breath your fresh air somewhere else and stand in the corner of the yard and cry… and my cab is twice as clean as a non smoker"s cab…we have driver"s at are depot that cry to everyone who will listen about smoker"s and then will park up at night and drink six cans of lager in there cab and go and drive the next morning…typical moaning non smoker"s

Just buy some of these stickers off of ebay and you’re good to go!

!(http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BtWRLCwEGk~$(KGrHqIOKj!EvPVPeLByBL7ni7Wwog~~_35.JPG)

It’s only the big plc’s that get a bit ■■■■ about it, having sections on the defect sheet and the like. Our lot put the stickers in the motors from new, but that’s about as far as it goes

gogzy:

baby seal:
In reality nothing would be done, it’s another stupid ‘law’ that no one can do anything about. Vosa might tell an operator to fit them but I can’t honestly see it going any further. Not having a vehicle height indicator is naughty though Pavaroti, it’s an easy defect for Vosa to pick up on at a roadside inspection and you will get a fine. Just write it on a bit of paper and stick it to the dash, it doesn’t need to be one of the ones you buy.

prefixed parameters Gogzy. all vehicles over something or other must have height markers fitted. i cant remember if its a certain height or weight although i have a niggly feeling its either 3.5T or 7.5T. whatever it is all HGVs fall into the category so i dont really need to know the minimum as it always applies to the vehicles i drive

rumour has it that it must display within 6" of the actual height too although i cant confirm that one is true or just another myth

All vehicles with a traveling height over 3 metres (9ft 10in) must have an in-cab height indicator.

Weight doesn’t come into it

MO(Topgun):
i have a sign in my cab saying…NO ENTRY TO NON SMOKERS…go and breath your fresh air somewhere else and stand in the corner of the yard and cry… and my cab is twice as clean as a non smoker"s cab…we have driver"s at are depot that cry to everyone who will listen about smoker"s and then will park up at night and drink six cans of lager in there cab and go and drive the next morning…typical moaning non smoker"s

+1 and I’ve never had a No smoking sticker in any cab at Stobbies! :laughing: I heard a non smoker screaming like a biatch in the yard at Appleton cause an agency man left a bit of ash in the footwell of someone elses cab! :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
All vehicles with a traveling height over 3 metres (9ft 10in) must have an in-cab height indicator.

Weight doesn’t come into it

The law also states that the in-cab height indicator is visible to the driver at all times. So not in a locker some where, but affixed in the cab, in view.

We also had a road side penalty of £60 issued to one of our drivers for not having a No Smoking sign in the cab.

Done some digging & got this from the Smokefree website:

-Failure to display no-smoking signs: a fixed penalty notice of £200 (reduced to £150 if paid in 15 days) imposed on whoever manages or occupies the smokefree premises or vehicle. Or a maximum fine of £1000 if prosecuted and convicted by a court.

bluenose:
Done some digging & got this from the Smokefree website:

-Failure to display no-smoking signs: a fixed penalty notice of £200 (reduced to £150 if paid in 15 days) imposed on whoever manages or occupies the smokefree premises or vehicle. Or a maximum fine of £1000 if prosecuted and convicted by a court.

I will trump that with this, which I received from Swale Borough Council.

Dear Mr Harry Monk,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your response to my letter dated 2nd October 2008, regarding a complaint about smoking within a potential smoke-free vehicle. From the information that you have provided, I agree with you, that the vehicle that you drive is exempt under the Health Act 2006 and that the letter can be disregarded.

I apologise for any inconvenience that my letter may have caused,
I am afraid that it is a standard letter and is used in all cases, even when further information is required. I have kept your comments on file, so that should a similar complaint be received, the complaint can be properly notified and no further action shall be taken against the company.

Thank you once again for your cooperation.
With regards

Michael Moss (Enforcement Officer)

As I said, I am special!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We ain’t got them. The truck I used to drive had on but on the bottom of the window, well when you opened it to flick your ash out you couldn’t see it anyway. What’s the point in that??

Our Polish drivers have to have one of these in their cabs.