No Reversing Lights

Hi.

recently got into a 7.5t Merc (800,000km) and the reversing lights weren’t working. I refused to drive it. A notice has now appeared on the notice board stating that as it is not a legal requirement and an MOT failure, the lorry is fit to use. I am aware that it is not a legal requirement, but I am not sure where I stand. We deliver to hospitals and are often reversing in public car parks and reception area which have a lot of people around.

I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers.

Just stick your hazards on and reverse very slowly, people will see whats going on. If they don’t, they won’t have seen a reversing light either. If your regularly reversing in busy areas with pedestrians about, your boss should really kit the wagons out with reversing beepers.

I’d have driven it.

I noticed yesterday one of our lads was reversing near me and the trailer had no reversing lights and couldn’t see any on the unit either, meant to ask him about it but forgot; you’ve just reminded me.

Found this, don’t know if it’s right though.

By law a reversing light is classed as an optional light and not an obligatory light, therefore there is no requirement to have one at all. However it goes on to state that if you do have an optional light fitted then it must comply with regulations which merely state,

1. Not more than two can be fitted to your vehicle.
  2. The lamp must be white.

Just do what UPS drivers do. Just keep tooting your horn as you reverse.:grimacing:

Just tell your boss that his time would have been better spent arranging a fix rather than writing memos. If it was me I would want it fixed on elf an safety grounds + it shows a bad and lazy company image etc…

Try checkin the fuse then bulbs if non of these it ciuld be the switch, bad earth, frayed wire etc.

Also your pre start checks should mention this every time the vehicle is used.

Oh and also get copy / picture of the notice.

i thought the general rule was if its fitted it had to work ? thats what we got told at wincanton or is that another load of bullshine

largebloke1969:
i thought the general rule was if its fitted it had to work ? thats what we got told at wincanton or is that another load of bullshine

That was my thinking too - like indicators on a motorbike

No, the general rule with optional lamps etc is that if they are fitted they must comply with the regulations. No requirement for them to actually work.

thunderhead:
Hi.

recently got into a 7.5t Merc (800,000km) and the reversing lights weren’t working. I refused to drive it. A notice has now appeared on the notice board stating that as it is not a legal requirement and an MOT failure, the lorry is fit to use. I am aware that it is not a legal requirement, but I am not sure where I stand. We deliver to hospitals and are often reversing in public car parks and reception area which have a lot of people around.

I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers.

Right
It is a legal requirement that every light,fitted on a Vehicle,has to work.
Tell em that

Roymondo:
No, the general rule with optional lamps etc is that if they are fitted they must comply with the regulations. No requirement for them to actually work.

I prepared for over 20 Years HGVs for MOT

Immigrant:

Roymondo:

I prepared for over 20 Years HGVs for MOT

And?

Immigrant:
Right
It is a legal requirement that every light,fitted on a Vehicle,has to work.
Tell em that

Go on - which law makes that requirement?

I’ll give you a start - it’s not in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

if it went for an MOT today ,the reverse lights in their present condition ,would not cause the vehicle to fail…Your best to have a word with your boss and explain why you need them to work…But at the end of the day,the decision is his …Unless you have a customer who stipulates that they must work before being allowed on their property

Cheers everyone for your replies.

As expected, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

just stick your head out of the cab and shout BEEB BEEB this vehicle is reversing, that should do the trick : )

I’m struggling to get my head around this post.

If I was contracted to take a trailer from A to B, then I would do that.

If it was in some way illegal (bald tyre, air leak etc) then I would get the work carried out before I left.

But to refuse to drive a vehicle because the reversing lights aren’t working? Oh, come on.

This is a perfect example of why I wouldn’t take on an employee. There are just too many idiots out there.

Lol if it’s legal happy days , understand you want them on for piece of mind but like someone said , hazards on and reverse slowly

Christ Almighty, we didn’t even have hazard flashers not so long ago, and if you wanted otherwise unheard of reversing lights, you either took the Rubbolite lenses off or shone a torch.

Mk one eyeball and common sense rule.

If they are fitted,they should work.
No point in having them otherwise.

norb:
if it went for an MOT today ,the reverse lights in their present condition ,would not cause the vehicle to fail…Your best to have a word with your boss and explain why you need them to work…But at the end of the day,the decision is his …Unless you have a customer who stipulates that they must work before being allowed on their property

+1 Have had two vehicles pass MOT with non working reversing lights, one car one van. (I did get them sorted)

The artic trailer I use doesn’t have reversing lights. I just stick the beeper on for a bit and keep in mind that folk don’t expect it to start moving backwards.

Would I get boss to get them fixed, and would I refuse to use it until it could be looked at are two different things.