No Reversing Lights

Harry Monk:
This is a perfect example of why I wouldn’t take on an employee. There are just too many idiots out there.

Though I Currently Have Several. Idiots That Is. They Dont Deserve The Title Of Employee Or “Driver”.

I take motors for test most weeks and no body has ever bothered about the reverse light, not once.
Even had a couple of times when a rear marker light has blown or a brake light and the examiner has been happy for me to replace the blown bulb with one from the reverse light.

Strange thing is here in NI car MOTs are done at test station. My car has had dodgy reverse lights for yonks. Passes every time. Equally one of my fog light lenses was cracked with holes from some stones a few days before the test. My garage said they had sent a porker 911 through with same thing and just covered the smasked lenses with duct tape and it passed. Sounded rubbish but no time so I tried and what do you know, passed. They just peeled back tape a bit to check the bulbs.

captin scarlet:
I take motors for test most weeks and no body has ever bothered about the reverse light, not once.
Even had a couple of times when a rear marker light has blown or a brake light and the examiner has been happy for me to replace the blown bulb with one from the reverse light.

It’s quite simple really “THE REVERSE LIGHTS ARE NOT PART OF THE TEST”
And as such it won’t matter if they don’t work!

Harry and Juddian. Dead right. Hope the radio worked.

Juddian:
Christ Almighty, we didn’t even have hazard flashers not so long ago, and if you wanted otherwise unheard of reversing lights, you either took the Rubbolite lenses off or shone a torch. Mk one eyeball and common sense rule.

nor reversing bleepers nor seatbelts! :grimacing: screwdrivers :laughing: or DCPC trained/ brainwashed buffoons :sunglasses:

Yeah like others have said, you want to feel comfortable with what you’re driving but if it’s not a legal requirement (and it isn’t) then you can’t do much. Best bet is to explain the situation to your employer and see if you can get them to do anything. I know what it’s like though, I’ve worked for companies that do the bare minimum and nothing more.

A lot of trucks and trailers I work on don’t have revers lights and as there is no legal need in fitting them people can not justify the exspence at the place I work you will look at £120 ph fine if it’s a bulb but if I have to chase a wire a long a trailer to find a fault could be from 1 to god knows how meany hours so it’s cheaper just to get a decent driver who knows what’s what

Double post

I think the point being made is that this firm, whoever they are, actually went to the trouble of writing a memo, printing it and sticking it on the wall about the non-functioning reversing lights rather than having someone out to fix them.

The haulage industry at its best once again.

Roymondo:

Immigrant:
Right
It is a legal requirement that every light,fitted on a Vehicle,has to work.
Tell em that

Go on - which law makes that requirement?

I’ll give you a start - it’s not in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

:bulb: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: Technically, yes it is in RVLR 1989 , :grimacing: Read and enjoy :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :exclamation:

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … tents/made

Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices
23. (1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.
(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to—

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
You are here:
1989 No. 1796PART IIIRegulation 27
Table of ContentsContentMore Resources Help about More Resources
Previous: Provision
Next: Provision
Plain ViewPrint OptionsWhat Version Help about what version
Latest available (Revised)
Original (As made)
Opening OptionsExpand opening options Help about opening options
Status:This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers

27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

TABLE

(1) (2) (3)
Item No. Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon Manner of use prohibited
1 Headlamp
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.
(b)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.
2 Front fog lamp
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.
3 Rear fog lamp
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c)Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.
4 Reversing lamp Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of reversing the vehicle.

AND :
legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … le/14/made
(Regulation 20)
SCHEDULE 14
requirements relating to optional reversing lamps

1. Number:

Not more than two
2. Position:

No requirement
3. Angles of visibility:

No requirement
4. Alignment:

To the rear
5. Markings—

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:
An approval mark
(b) A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985:
No requirement
6. Size of illuminated area:

No requirement
7. Colour:

White
8. Wattage—

(a) A reversing lamp bearing an approval mark:
No requirement
(b) A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:
The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts
9. Intensity:

No requirement
10. Electrical connections:

No requirement
11. Tell-tale—

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954, provided that the electrical connections are such that the reversing lamp or lamps cannot be illuminated other than automatically by the selection of the reverse gear of the vehicle:
No requirement
(b) Any other motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954:
A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted
(c) A motor vehicle first used before 1st July 1954:
No requirement
(d) Any vehicle which is not a motor vehicle:
No requirement
12. Definitions—

In this Schedule “approval mark” means either—
(a)a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 21 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations; or
(b)a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 23 or 23A of Schedule 2 to those Regulations.

AND :

(a)every—
(i)front position lamp,
(ii)rear position lamp,
(iii)headlamp,
(iv)rear registration plate lamp,
(v)side marker lamp,
(vi)end-outline marker lamp,
(vii)rear fog lamp,
(viii)retro reflector, and
(ix)rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and
(b)every—
(i)stop lamp,
(ii)direction indicator,
(iii)running lamp,
(iv)dim-dip device,
(v)headlamp levelling device, and
(vi)hazard warning signal device,with which it is fitted.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to—

(a)a rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles any part of which is not required by these Regulations to be fitted with a rear fog lamp;
(b)a rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer;
(c)a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition; or
(d)a lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.

The worrying bit at this point is , :open_mouth:
we have reached page 2,
and at no point has anyone suggested : :bulb: :bulb:
:bulb:
The driver could utilise the use of a `Banks-person ’ for safe reversing. :grimacing:

Fifteen years or more ago tippers had to have reversing horns fitted by site and quarry rules so reversing lights were rather pointless in a way. You heard vehicles before you saw them, I guess by now they are a standard fitment on ALL goods vehicles? Never had them (lights) inspected at test time on either trucks or cars but we did try and ensure that they worked even though you could see naff all with them!

Pete.

Fifteen years or more ago

" warning" :
" This vehicle is : re-ver-thing " :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

trux:

Roymondo:

Immigrant:
Right
Tell em that

:bulb: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: Technically, yes it is in RVLR 1989 , :grimacing: Read and enjoy :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :exclamation:

Suggest you read all that again and understand what it says, rather than what you think it says.

To assist you: S23(1) deals with the maintenance requirements. S23(2) (which for some reason you included right at the end of the post) tells you which lamps S23(1) applies to. Reversing lamps are not listed in S23(2).

S27 says you can only use them while reversing.

Schedule 14 says you can only have two of them, that they must be white, that they must face rearwards and makes requirements about approval markings, wattage of bulbs and fitment of warning tell-tales where there is no gearbox switch. Nowhere does it say that reversing lamps, if fitted, must actually work.

Good effort, but no cigar :wink:

Actually :exclamation: Sir :exclamation:
I did read all of it and fully understand it,
you said where is the law that quotes reversing lamps within regs ?
I merely pointed you in the general direction of contents within ,…

may i politely suggest : you stick said cigar where sun doesn`t shine :grimacing: thank you .

May i also take the opportunity to reiterate :
The driver could utilise the use of a `Banks-person ’ for safe reversing. [/b] :grimacing:

trux:
Actually :exclamation: Sir :exclamation:
I did read all of it and fully understand it,
you said where is the law that quotes reversing lamps within regs ?
I merely pointed you in the general direction of contents within ,…

may i politely suggest : you stick said cigar where sun doesn`t shine :grimacing: thank you .

I said no such thing! I suggest you learn to read. Then come and join in the discussion with the grown-ups.

Erm, let me think about that one daddy :unamused:
oh yes , here`s the quote :

Roymondo:

Immigrant:
Right
Tell em that

Now put your handbag back in its place and enjoy :grimacing:

And what was the requirement mentioned?

The answer is : no requirement , they are optional :exclamation: :grimacing: