No more than 2 miles of roadworks!

Just seen on bbc news this morning. New government plan will limit the length of roadworks on dual carriage way, and motorway to no more than 2 mile stretches at a time to reduce congestion and disruption.

Sounds like we might finally be free of these huge sections of motorway being coned off now.

Opinions & thoughts?

Hammy747:
Sounds like we might finally be free of these huge sections of motorway being coned off now.

Yeah right.

having spent most of the last 3 years doing 50mph on the m1 totally agree its stupid, more so when no one is working and nothing but a way to make money- oh that’s right they make money- not a chance of this coming in then.

It couldn’t possibly have something to do with Highways England refusing to allow a contraflow on the M20 when operation stack is on? Of course not… and the band played “Believe it if you like.”

That’ll be good on routine maintenance, Gulley sucker or sweeper limited to max 2 miles of work :sunglasses:

Sounds like utter bollox soundbite politics by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about, In fact that happens more frequently than roadworks :grimacing:

So you’ll end up with a 2 mile stretch of roadworks, then traffic will race up to the next 2 mile section half a mile away :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

2 mile cones, 2 mile clear.
2 mile cones, 2 mile clear.
ETC great

Is it April :open_mouth:

Bigger slept through and missed Christmas and new year again :grimacing:

Yeah its probably true they will do 2 miles then a mile break then 2 miles again so on and so on. There useless!

Darren5408:
Yeah its probably true they will do 2 miles then a mile break then 2 miles again so on and so on. There useless!

It’ll be bottleneck after bloody bottleneck.

Crap idea. How long will it take to get all these “managed motorways” set up.

I’d say get one massive group of mobile workers and hit each given road en masse. Shut the road for a couple of weeks, or even a month, we’ll find ways around them for that long.

That’s what the Yanks or the Japanese etc would do.

Only another 18 months to 2 years of misery for most of them.

I’m with you Paul. Completely blitz each road. Problem is though that nothing was done to any of them for such a long period of time that doing that is no longer an option so now we have 3 or 4 years of pain as they do two decades worth of repairs.

PaulNowak:

I posted a link about this about a month ago. Government’s current road investment plan runs all the way to 2040. So 25 years mate :astonished:

According to Inrix, a traffic information company, the longest stretch of roadworks is 18 miles on the M1 near Chesterfield.

That’s bollox for a start. The 19-15 stretch is well over 20 miles.

Full Story.

More useful to bring in a rule that says at least one lane MUST be left open for traffic and closure should be only for emergencies like fires etc. but we are all dreaming as the situation just gets worse :unamused:

Talk about overhyping the story, the piece on the BBC news shows the M60 A/C in Manchester, albeit the section after J18/17 where the rush hour bottleneck builds prior to the run up the hill ahead of the M66 split. If ever anyone wanted to show traffic crawling through a 50mph zone, that’s it. You can actually recognise the spot in the dip where the cops sit :unamused:

Terry T:

PaulNowak:

I posted a link about this about a month ago. Government’s current road investment plan runs all the way to 2040. So 25 years mate :astonished:

Jesus Christ. I’ll be retired before they’re done!

alder:
More useful to bring in a rule that says at least one lane MUST be left open for traffic and closure should be only for emergencies like fires etc. but we are all dreaming as the situation just gets worse :unamused:

Agreed! Unlike the M4 w/b last night…closed 15-16 so they could do some ■■■■■ right at j16…probably could’ve got away with an up & over diversion at 16 itself…they probably find that do technical to do so just shut the section down…the 2 blokes sat in the truck at 15, with all the flashing lights etc were sparko…better job than mine as I can’t go to sleep all night an hour after leaving Chieveley Svcs!

Terry T:

According to Inrix, a traffic information company, the longest stretch of roadworks is 18 miles on the M1 near Chesterfield.

That’s bollox for a start. The 19-15 stretch is well over 20 miles.

Full Story.

It’s less than that now as the works on the stretch past Northampton are completed.

This year my employer told us all to drive at 50 all the time to improve fuel economy. We only do local ish jobs, maybe 60 miles in one hit and so I’ve become chilled about tossers driving side by side at 47. My boss told me to slow down so I have and to be honest I feel more relaxed on my journeys

There are quite a few that seem to dislike road works.
Nobody likes getting held up but ask yourselves why the roadworks are there in the first place.
In my view there are two reasons. Heavy trucks damaging the roads and the fact they are not built properly first time round.
Anyone who has driven in Europe will have noticed the difference.
Can this country get anything right?