No more than 2 miles of roadworks!

Having said that I’m chilled driving at 50 all the time, I don’t see the point of most of the road works.
“Upgrading to managed Motorway” is a complete waste of money. Nobody takes any notice of the signs to use the hard shoulder, cars or lorries.

It’s not just the length of the roadworks (why have a 10 mile section of roadworks for example, why not concentrate all the workforce into doing 2 miles at a time for example then move onto the next section, or am I over-simplifying the issue?) but the fact that when one route is closed for roadworks then they frequently have the alternative closed too. This is madness! Coming up the M6 last night heading home to Lancashire, M62 J12 where you get on the M60 is closed every night and has been for months (God knows how long this will go on for) but this hasn’t bothered me, I’ve been coming off at Knutsford and going up the A556 & M56 instead which is only a few minutes longer. But the powers that be in their infinite wisdom have now closed the A556 for 2 weeks. Again, I may be over-simplifying things but why can’t the workforce involved with the work at J12 be taken off the job and put to work on the A556 and get the work done in under 2 weeks? I appreciate they may not be doing exactly the same type of work but surely they’re qualified to do more than one type of work? The only alternative to take now is the A57 through Irlam, hardly the best road to have loads of HGV’s trundling through at night.

If this ever comes about it will be about time! With any luck the two miles will be full of road workers actually doing something and not mile after mile of coned of lanes with no work going on. I’m sure road works are carried out by invisible pixies, the work eventually gets done but I seldom see anyone doing it.

What boils my ■■■■ about the M5 roadworks from the m6 ,is the fact you can spend up to an hour crawling along the M6 you eventually get to the m5 .all the “workers” are stood round with maybe 1 working and another 2 watching /chatting :imp:
Go past before 8am and after 5 pm and the place is deserted . :unamused:
It’s madness the money that must be wasted with the traffic queues , late deliveries , extra pollution etc
Just get it blitzed day and night shifts , or is that too simple ?

I can’t understand why it’s so difficult to get these projects completed on time, or why they’re planned to take so long in the first place.

What I don’t get in single lane works like on the M5 slip from the M6 is why dopey car drivers drive the whole length of it at 30mph or less. The Audi/BMW dive bomb ■■■■■■■ cause the queues on the entrance to the slip and the traffic stops. fair enough I can understand that. But once in the works there is nothing to stop you accelerating up to 50mph and carrying on as normal. Yet I regularly see the traffic at a standstill through the whole of the works.

Don’t get it :unamused:

Must admit, I find 50mph roadworks on motorways far less stressful.

rambo19:
Must admit, I find 50mph roadworks on motorways far less stressful.

You’re on your own there. I hate it, everyone bunches up and rides the arse of the vehicle in front, people not watching their road position and difting. The gap you try and leave to give yourself some braking distance gets filled instantly by some moron trying to zig-zag their way through the traffic, the morons who sit in the middle lane at 40. Etc etc, its like the moment people enter the roadworks they forget how to drive!

Mikey D:
What boils my ■■■■ about the M5 roadworks from the m6 ,is the fact you can spend up to an hour crawling along the M6 you eventually get to the m5 .all the “workers” are stood round with maybe 1 working and another 2 watching /chatting :imp:
Go past before 8am and after 5 pm and the place is deserted . :unamused:
It’s madness the money that must be wasted with the traffic queues , late deliveries , extra pollution etc
Just get it blitzed day and night shifts , or is that too simple ?

Shut it for a week, send folk all the way around the M42 if needs be, do it, sort it finish it. Or the Black Country Route.

Once the M6 is done up to J14, they’ll only do another bit further up.

PaulNowak:
Once the M6 is done up to J14, they’ll only do another bit further up.

Yes. Remember the road investment strategy I mentioned earlier. The M6 is being made a smart motorway all the way from the M1 to the other side of the M55. Next up is 16-19 then I think after that, 2-4 or 13-16.

Cameron is under fire at the moment from one of the party donor’s saying he was inept regarding Syria.

All of a sudden, a ’ keep the people happy ’ policy hits the news.

Maybe I am becoming cynical.

They need to clamp down on pointless temporary traffic lights too. Too many “roadworks” are done off the highway (like footpath repairs) but they’ll install temporary lights so a temporary path can be built.
Utility companies love setting up traffic lights and then not turning up for work. I saw some today, Clancy Docwra kit. No hole in road or no tarmac going off, but there were traffic lights there all day and nobody turned up. I’ve been tempted in the past to push the lights out of the way but there’s always some do gooder ready to report you.

bald bloke:

Hammy747:
Sounds like we might finally be free of these huge sections of motorway being coned off now.

Yeah right.

+1