No Glove No Love...

Ok got your attention I do multi drop cage work, ratchet straps etc but the rigger gloves I use I’m using 2/3 a week. Work don’t supply many.

What sort of gloves do you use recommend that last a while. Any eBay links would be excellent.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using these…

amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-Rigger- … ger+gloves

They seem to last a fair while but, I’m not ragging them to death on cages. Couplings, load loack bars, the occasional pump truck and fridge doors is all the work they have to cope with.

kev909_2000:
Ok got your attention I do multi drop cage work, ratchet straps etc but the rigger gloves I use I’m using 2/3 a week. Work don’t supply many.

What sort of gloves do you use recommend that last a while. Any eBay links would be excellent

Seriously, you have to buy your own gloves for work? :open_mouth:

■■■■ ‘‘work don’t supply many’’ …get them told that you need them in order to do your job, or second best at least if you do buy them, insist that they reimburse you…
What’s next?.. Buy diesel for their truck.

If work doesn’t supply them…

What are we supposed to do? Rip our hands to shreds, pump diesel bare handed, get covered in grease every time we couple up?

I’ll pay to protect my hands.

yourhavingalarf:

What are we supposed to do? Rip our hands to shreds, pump diesel bare handed, get covered in grease every time we couple up?

You could always drop elf and safety a little note. Is it not a legal requirement for your employer to supply you with the necessary PPE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll repeat…

If work DOESN’T supply them.

yourhavingalarf:

Just remind your employer of their legal obligation to provide the necessary PPE to do the job safely. If they really can’t afford to stump up a couple of quid every now and then for a pair of gloves how the hell are they going to cope with a claim for injury or dermatitis etc?

Of course, if you’re “self employed” or working via an agency the responsibility shifts somewhat (although your rates will naturally have been worked out to allow for this…)

My work supply them but they’re garbage, worn out in a fortnight.

I use various ones from screwfix, waterproof and warm, fleece lined, PVC, rigger, depends what I’m doing and what the weather’s like.

A.

Most workplaces supply the bare minimum and if we were paying we’d be same lol.
Arco do a great pair of leather work gloves, thermal inside and if you stay off diesel dutys with them at the end of the shift they’ll last ages on cage work.

damoq:

yourhavingalarf:

You could always drop elf and safety a little note. Is it not a legal requirement for your employer to supply you with the necessary PPE?

If your prepared to lose a finger and watch that company crumble and life of the payment :wink:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ll repeat…

If work DOESN’T supply them.

I’ll repeat…
Get them told, you NEED them in order to do your job.

That should suffice :bulb:
If it doesn’t they are taking the ■■■■…end of.

Adonis.:

Then get them supplied every fortnight. :bulb:

This sort of stuff does my swede, I know gloves aint expensive but it’s the principle of the thing.

Firms only do this sort of crap because drivers let them get away with it, put up with it and counteract it off their own
bats, as in this case, supplying their own ppe equipment, when everybody knows it is the firm’s responsibility.
Usually the same kind of firms that if you dare book 5 mins more on your time sheet they take 5p off your wages, in other words fine for them to take the ■■■■, but woe betide (wtf does that mean exactly :smiley: ) you if you dare go over the rules by the slightest.

Gloves, bloody gloves !!! We never had gloves when I were a lad, or shoes. If we wanted to slow down we had to put foot on’t front wheel.

Plus one.
Gloves.are for ■■■■■

These are the longest lasting rigger gloves I have found.

http://www.aceworkgear.com/scruffs-hd-rigger-gloves

I didn’t buy my supply from this company, so can’t recommend them, but the gloves are good.

robroy:

Adonis.:

Then get them supplied every fortnight. :bulb:

This sort of stuff does my swede, I know gloves aint expensive but it’s the principle of the thing.

Firms only do this sort of crap because drivers let them get away with it, put up with it and counteract it off their own
bats, as in this case, supplying their own ppe equipment, when everybody knows it is the firm’s responsibility.
Usually the same kind of firms that if you dare book 5 mins more on your time sheet they take 5p off your wages, in other words fine for them to take the ■■■■, but woe betide (wtf does that mean exactly :smiley: ) you if you dare go over the rules by the slightest.

I need different gloves for different things. If my hands get cold and wet I can spend all day with no feeling in my fingers, then have them feel like they’re being broken when they eventually heat back up. Painful enough to cause me to stop driving.

Even if they’re dry and in fleece lined thermal gloves I can still lose the feeling in them, the difference being that they hopefully won’t be completely devoid of blood and feeling by the time I can heat them back up.

For that reason I buy my own ones that I need.

For any normal functioning person I completely agree, get the work to supply them as often as needed. I’ll also add that they used to be pretty good gloves, can’t remember the brand but they were yellow and blue, hard wearing. I imagine the bean counters put that to bed.

A.

You lot need to have a sort out there.
We get heat insulated gloves for tank work, woolen but grippy heat resistant rubber palms and fingers cos the pipework gets bleedin hot, they also supply waterproof gloves for wash downs etc.

Suggest having a word with your workmates and see if a few of them have got the bottle to sign a suitable letter if you write it.
If they will, put in writing to the company what is needed and the danger of personal injury without correct and suitable and fit for purpose PPE, send this letter signed by anyone who has a full set to the company engine driver, not the oil rags…keep a copy for your records and note on the letter that copies are held.
I have taken exactly this action at a previous place and had half the fleet retrofitted with switchgear that should have been there from day one.

Enjoy your new PPE.

This is basically what a union does by the way, and you don’t find unionised companies where drivers need to buy their own bloody gloves.

One other thing, should you have an injury at work and are not using company issued PPE, you are giving their solicitors a get out should you have to claim for injury or time off work.

When I had a spell as a drayman, they used to buy the gloves from Arco. Good quality that would last a month or more chucking kegs around. As has been said, you need to keep them dry though…

Adonis.:

I use various ones from screwfix, waterproof and warm, fleece lined, PVC, rigger, depends what I’m doing and what the weather’s like.

A.

It makes no difference how long they last,a day a week or a month,cheap or expensive they have covered their requirement to the PPE law.
Its up to you to ask each time if they are worn out.
Where I worked we were supposed to produced the worn out pair for replacement,just to make sure we had not been using them for the garden or work at home
but nobody took any notice.

Juddian:
You lot need to have a sort out there.
We get heat insulated gloves for tank work, woolen but grippy heat resistant rubber palms and fingers cos the pipework gets bleedin hot, they also supply waterproof gloves for wash downs etc.

Suggest having a word with your workmates and see if a few of them have got the bottle to sign a suitable letter if you write it.
If they will, put in writing to the company what is needed and the danger of personal injury without correct and suitable and fit for purpose PPE, send this letter signed by anyone who has a full set to the company engine driver, not the oil rags…keep a copy for your records and note on the letter that copies are held.
I have taken exactly this action at a previous place and had half the fleet retrofitted with switchgear that should have been there from day one.

Enjoy your new PPE.

This is basically what a union does by the way, and you don’t find unionised companies where drivers need to buy their own bloody gloves.

One other thing, should you have an injury at work and are not using company issued PPE, you are giving their solicitors a get out should you have to claim for injury or time off work.

You lost a lot of interested parties as soon as you mentioned the words ‘bottle’ and ‘workmates’ in the same setence Juddian mate.
Then as soon as the ‘U’ word was mentioned, everybody completely switched off, and resumed moaning amongst each other instead…as usual in these type of situations. :bulb: :unamused: