No Glove No Love...

robroy:

Juddian:

You lost a lot of interested parties as soon as you mentioned the words ‘bottle’ and ‘workmates’ in the same setence Juddian mate.
Then as soon as the ‘U’ word was mentioned, everybody completely switched off, and resumed moaning amongst each other instead…as usual in these type of situations. :bulb: :unamused:

I know mate, its like ■■■■■■■ in the wind.

The situation i referred to i wrote that letter off me own back, but before submitting it asked the ex steward to check read it, who having done so immediately wanted to countersign the letter so it went in with about 5 signatures on it including the ex and current steward, i could have left it to the steward to do but he had enough on his plate at the time and it needed to go straight to the top floor and to the top floor it was forwarded with glee by our convenor… :laughing:
There are some good blokes about still, just sometimes needs someone to make the first move to motivate them that they aint alone.

I was at k&n drivers desk and one of their drivers came to desk and asked for some gloves as his had shot it and he was told new ones can only be issued if he brings his wrecked ones in and they are suitably damaged :open_mouth:

robroy:

Juddian:
You lot need to have a sort out there.
We get heat insulated gloves for tank work, woolen but grippy heat resistant rubber palms and fingers cos the pipework gets bleedin hot, they also supply waterproof gloves for wash downs etc.

Suggest having a word with your workmates and see if a few of them have got the bottle to sign a suitable letter if you write it.
If they will, put in writing to the company what is needed and the danger of personal injury without correct and suitable and fit for purpose PPE, send this letter signed by anyone who has a full set to the company engine driver, not the oil rags…keep a copy for your records and note on the letter that copies are held.
I have taken exactly this action at a previous place and had half the fleet retrofitted with switchgear that should have been there from day one.

Enjoy your new PPE.

This is basically what a union does by the way, and you don’t find unionised companies where drivers need to buy their own bloody gloves.

One other thing, should you have an injury at work and are not using company issued PPE, you are giving their solicitors a get out should you have to claim for injury or time off work.

You lost a lot of interested parties as soon as you mentioned the words ‘bottle’ and ‘workmates’ in the same setence Juddian mate.
Then as soon as the ‘U’ word was mentioned, everybody completely switched off, and resumed moaning amongst each other instead…as usual in these type of situations. :bulb: :unamused:

Totally correct. When a group of drivers can’t stick together to get themselves a better pay packet why the ■■■■ would they stick together to get a tiny minority some Gucci gloves?

A.

Thanks guys, some great responses.

That is something i have Always found strange about the UK,people Companys will spend thousands on lights etc but the minimum on clothing for a driver to do his job.
Here we get ALL clothing for the job from jackets and trousers down to socks.
We get summer gear and special thermo Winter gear inc hats,jackets,trousers,long underpants,boots and socks,all in high quality thermo.Companys can claim PPE back from tax,it’s same in UK so why the meanness.

hutpik:
,it’s same in UK so why the meanness.

Because it’s all extra money for Bosses shiny new car ! :wink: :imp:

Your company need reporting to the HSE “Quietly”
They have to supply PPE …

The trouble with ppe is the cheap stuff is pony. And that’s all most firms will supply. Our gloves only last about 3 months, and considering I do boxes that’s pretty poor. I therefore buy my own. I buy dewalt riggers from screwfix. At £8 they aren’t cheap, but I’ve had my current pair 18 months and they’re still in good nick. I don’t know how they’d fair on curtainsider work though. I also use disposable gloves for dieseling up, but I get them from Volvo at truckfest for a pound a box. A fiver normally sees me on my last box when it comes around next year as I use them for all the dirty jobs. Same as boots too. We only get £30, so I put another £20 in and get some better ones

Juddian:
should you have an injury at work and are not using company issued PPE, you are giving their solicitors a get out should you have to claim for injury or time off work.

That’s what you’ve got to be careful of. If something bad happens and you’re not using what they supply,it’s their ‘get out of jail’ card. While most companies supply the cheapest stuff they can find,all you can do is keep taking it back when it’s broke or worn out. You’d like to think that after a while they’d work out it doesn’t pay to buy cheap :unamused:

kev909_2000:
Thanks guys, some great responses.

Bet you’re glad you asked :smiley:

Adonis.:
This sort of stuff does my swede, I know gloves aint

I need different gloves for different things. If my hands get cold and wet I can spend all day with no feeling in my fingers, then have them feel like they’re being broken when they eventually heat back up. Painful enough to cause me to stop driving.

Even if they’re dry and in fleece lined thermal gloves I can still lose the feeling in them, the difference being that they hopefully won’t be completely devoid of blood and feeling by the time I can heat them back up.

For that reason I buy my own ones that I need.

A.

Sounds like Reynauds disease, keep your hands warm the whole day, by wearing special gloves, while driving etc.
A friend of me wears special gloves the whole day, to keep feeling in his hands, and to avoid to get it worse and wears normal riggers over them when he need to open the curtains / doors etc.
Protect your hands, you only get a pair.

On a different note of companies not replacing gloves without handing the worn ones in, I can see their point.
Have a look around yards, docks, delivery points and see how many “good” gloves you can find discarded on the floor.
Years ago I never use to buy gloves as the drivers of one of my customers got an endless supply and would hand them out to everybody and nobody.
His whole street gardened with the same supply of gloves.

There is always somebody who spoils it for the rest.

Nobby_Clarke:

Juddian:
should you have an injury at work and are not using company issued PPE, you are giving their solicitors a get out should you have to claim for injury or time off work.

That’s what you’ve got to be careful of. If something bad happens and you’re not using what they supply,it’s their ‘get out of jail’ card. While most companies supply the cheapest stuff they can find,all you can do is keep taking it back when it’s broke or worn out. You’d like to think that after a while they’d work out it doesn’t pay to buy cheap :unamused:

simple. Buy your own, then put the receipt in as EXPENSES. :grimacing:

OVLOV JAY:
The trouble with ppe is the cheap stuff is pony. And that’s all most firms will supply. Our gloves only last about 3 months, and considering I do boxes that’s pretty poor. I therefore buy my own. I buy dewalt riggers from screwfix. At £8 they aren’t cheap, but I’ve had my current pair 18 months and they’re still in good nick. I don’t know how they’d fair on curtainsider work though. I also use disposable gloves for dieseling up, but I get them from Volvo at truckfest for a pound a box. A fiver normally sees me on my last box when it comes around next year as I use them for all the dirty jobs. Same as boots too. We only get £30, so I put another £20 in and get some better ones

Still don’t agree with drivers having to buy their own gloves Jay, if they don’t last just keep going back for more, and/or point out the false economy aspect to them in buying cheap crap.
However I’m with you on the boots (although I do realise it’s the same principle tbh) our lot supply (£15 :unamused: ) boots that look like miners boots from the 30s, they are uncomfortable and make ■■■■ sounds when you walk :laughing: .
Apart from that they do not fit in with my Trucker chique/Style icon image. :smiley:
So I buy a decent pair of De Walts (as unlike gloves I wear them all day) and get the £15 allowance back off the co. …although I have been known to get most if not all of the remainder by other ways and means. :wink: :smiley:

robroy:

OVLOV JAY:

Still don’t agree with drivers having to buy their own gloves Jay, if they don’t last just keep going back for more, and/or point out the false economy aspect to them in buying cheap crap.
However I’m with you on the boots (although I do realise it’s the same principle tbh) our lot supply (£15 :unamused: ) boots that look like miners boots from the 30s, they are uncomfortable and make ■■■■ sounds when you walk :laughing: .
Apart from that they do not fit in with my Trucker chique/Style icon image. :smiley:
So I buy a decent pair of De Walts (as unlike gloves I wear them all day) and get the £15 allowance back off the co. …although I have been known to get most if not all of the remainder by other ways and means. :wink: :smiley:

I do agree, and I do still take a pair every few weeks (usually when someone else asks as it prompts me), but I’ll still buy my own as it’s me that gets covered in grease and derv, or traps a finger in a door lock. It’s usually the stitching that falls apart on the cheap and nasties. I’ve got a few in the back of the car for fuelling that up

I get a 3 pair pack of leather rigger gloves from Costco
£16.95+VAT
They are American made, hard wearing and perfect for cage work.
Not so clever in the wet and take ages to dry out

Nowhere I’ve ever worked that delivered with roll cages has supplied gloves. The staff in store don’t have them so don’t really see where the health and safety angle is. If it was a firm where you’re expected to handball concrete blocks, or something, then fair enough.

Have you still got all your fingers?
I know drivers with fingers missing from working with cages.

I buy my gloves in bulk and they do last,i get mine from E bay and Amazon,company will supply them but I don’t like the company ones,i buy ones to suit me