No CD slot

citycat:
But can I download podcasts in Holland? I can’t access BBC iplayer for instance as it detects I’m not in the UK. I miss stuff like Heart, Magic, Smooth radio etc. Even radio 2 even though it’s not cool !

Get yerself a…

VPN. That way you can download/stream anything from anywhere.

except in russia where that nice mr putin has banned them

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
Absolutely. You can’t watch iPlayer abroad no but BBC Radio is fine

Except for the warning that using BBC radio player abroad is a ‘data intensive service’ if you’re streaming it through a mobile phone. :bulb: With no CD player in the truck to circumvent that how convenient for the phone service providers.

To be honest is not that data intensive, an hour of talk radio is only 40/50mb but you can (as I’ve pointed out over and over and over and over again) download it at a convenient wifi Hotspot, a free McDonald’s one to your home and listen to your hearts content. It’s one of last things I do when packing for a week away, open up my iPad and download all my weeks entertainment. I love this aspect of the modern world so much. I effectively have a radio station at my finger tips that will play me what I want I want whenever I want it

Carryfast:
English radio over seas would probably best be done by recording it onto CD off of a home hi fi internet radio tuner.But again no good if vehicle CD is taken out of the frame.

How is life back in 1995 treating you Carryfast?

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
English radio over seas would probably best be done by recording it onto CD off of a home hi fi internet radio tuner.But again no good if vehicle CD is taken out of the frame.

How is life back in 1995 treating you Carryfast?

Blimey just as before that 1995 I was still using cassettes in the truck and the car and had never even heard of internet radio then but Satellite radio and VH1 and MTV was almost as good then to source recordings from onto cassette for playback.While I only relatively recently had CD in a car which ironically as I’ve said I haven’t got round to getting the right gear to use to make the CD’s to play on it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

While unfortunately it looks like the latest cars also don’t have any CD player options either even if I did ‘update’ my system with a CD recorder. :imp: :frowning:

You should have tried the old school options at least since the 1980’s.Including free Satellite TV/Radio and the move to NICAM stereo TV broadcasts,combined with A/V Hi Fi distribution home systems,with either cassette or CD recorders for easy playback out on the road.Probably beats paying for mobile phone data charges and paying for the luxury of what seems like retrograde compromised over compressed media systems.

On that note the live TV recording of Live Aid which I made in the day still sounds as good today.As it did then whether it was played on home VHS/Cassette or on car or truck Cassette players also don’t remember your comments about poor truck speakers especially in the case of the FL 10 and Scanias in the day.

I bet you had a big conspiracy theory about the introduction of CDs and the decline of vinyl too didn’t you. Keep sticking it to ‘the man’ comrade. Up the revolution.

Carryfast:
You should have tried the old school options at least since the 1980’s.Including free Satellite TV/Radio and the move to NICAM stereo TV broadcasts,combined with A/V Hi Fi distribution home systems,with either cassette or CD recorders for easy playback out on the road.Probably beats paying for mobile phone data charges and paying for the luxury of what seems like retrograde compromised over compressed media systems.

I’m easily old enough to have tried much of this. I spent my teenage years recording music from the radio, first on tape then CD, then believe it or not MiniDisc (I had a ridiculously expensive MiniDisc hi-fi) , trying to record tracks and stop them before the DJ came crashing into the song. Fun at the time because it was the only option for a skint teenager to get the music he wanted (combined with a second hand record shop) but now? No thanks, having to record it all in real time when in space of 10 minutes I can download a whOle weeks listening via the BBC Radio Player app. You seem to have forgotten how labour & time intensive recording stuff off the radio is.

switchlogic:
I bet you had a big conspiracy theory about the introduction of CDs and the decline of vinyl too didn’t you. Keep sticking it to ‘the man’ comrade. Up the revolution.

I never liked vinyl that much and could never see the advantage over cassettes.Especially in the case of the no contest ability for use at home and on the road.I think the last record I bought was in the early 1970’s long before I started driving and then consigned the old Garrard deck to the loft as a waste of space on that basis.As for CD’s ironically what a surprise yes the conspiracy was the very real situation that CD recorders were seemingly banned by industry agreement ?.The story goes because of their ability to make virtually perfect recordings/copies and therefore seen as a copyright threat which is why I didn’t bother with them and stayed with Cassettes even after CD recorders finally got onto the market.It also probably explains why vehicle radio/cassettes stayed on as standard factory and after market fit for so long after the introduction of CD as people didn’t want to throw away perfectly good home Hi Fi Cassette recorders which were also obviously so compatible with car use. :bulb:

This among others was the dogs bollox in the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=eDGmJq8tS-M

nsmith1180:
I agree 100% carryfast. See I want the new song by Ed Sheeran to listen to on demand, but I don’t want to pay for the guys at the recording studio who record it, nor for the people who provide the platform on which I listen to it. I’m not real keen on paying the songwriter either.

Mm, I’m the same. I wouldn’t be keen on paying Ed Sheeran for his “contributions” either. I’d want my money back too. The squeaking little ferret.

James the cat:
The squeaking little ferret.

The ‘ubiquitous’ squeaking little ferret…

If I change the radio channel anywhere in the UK, all I seem to find is Mr Sheeran (inbetween adverts) wailing about some Irish girl he did or didn’t get to shag… soooo tedious.

With any luck, his recent tumble off his bike might slow the onslaught of his dull and predicatable records.

yourhavingalarf:

James the cat:
The squeaking little ferret.

The ‘ubiquitous’ squeaking little ferret…

If I change the radio channel anywhere in the UK, all I seem to find is Mr Sheeran (inbetween adverts) wailing about some Irish girl he did or didn’t get to shag… soooo tedious.

With any luck, his recent tumble off his bike might slow the onslaught of his dull and predicatable records.

Wailing, yes that’s better it is actual wailing.

Fell off his hipster bike? Shame shame. Did he land on his guitar? Hope springs eternal…

James the cat:

nsmith1180:
I agree 100% carryfast. See I want the new song by Ed Sheeran to listen to on demand, but I don’t want to pay for the guys at the recording studio who record it, nor for the people who provide the platform on which I listen to it. I’m not real keen on paying the songwriter either.

Mm, I’m the same. I wouldn’t be keen on paying Ed Sheeran for his “contributions” either. I’d want my money back too. The squeaking little ferret.

[emoji23]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

For the old timers you don’t even need a smart phone, an iPod or similar can be loaded up at home for nothing using the apps and sites already mentioned and for the tight wads free wi fi does the job.

I like the tunein app for radio spotify is very good even the free version and if you have the data youtube.

Smartphones don’t need to cost a fortune and my favourite mobile network 3 do vey good data contract for little money

mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/?gc … 7Qodk-0Cxw

I use the company above and have had a number of handsets from them, top it off with a good quality pair of bluetooth headphones and you don’t have to suffer the cardboard speakers in the doors or Radio 2 ever again.

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:
[/img]

2017 MAN TGX CD slot!!![emoji41][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

hmmmmmm
would that be a dual sim galaxy j5 you naughty naughty man… :astonished:

Nope just normal Tesco phone contract.
3000mins
5000txt
3gig data
J5 phone
£21month.[emoji106]

Big Truck:
Tesco phone contract.
3000mins
5000txt
3gig data
J5 phone
£21month.[emoji106]

EE do a better deal, unlimited calls and texts and 18 gb of data for the same price … £21 per month

raymundo:

Big Truck:
Tesco phone contract.
3000mins
5000txt
3gig data
J5 phone
£21month.[emoji106]

EE do a better deal, unlimited calls and texts and 18 gb of data for the same price … £21 per month

I’ve got the same deal on EE but 17GB of data & Free BT sports on mobile for £14 pm

Was over a year ago took on contract so bound to be a few better ones since then.[emoji106]

Search around and you can get unlimited texts and calls and 30gb of data for £15 a month sim only.

switchlogic:
I’m easily old enough to have tried much of this. I spent my teenage years recording music from the radio, first on tape then CD, then believe it or not MiniDisc (I had a ridiculously expensive MiniDisc hi-fi) , trying to record tracks and stop them before the DJ came crashing into the song. Fun at the time because it was the only option for a skint teenager to get the music he wanted (combined with a second hand record shop) but now? No thanks, having to record it all in real time when in space of 10 minutes I can download a whOle weeks listening via the BBC Radio Player app. You seem to have forgotten how labour & time intensive recording stuff off the radio is.

Firstly we all know that DJ’s clipping records was another real conspiracy concerning the paranoid establishment again confusing ‘fair use’ with copy right theft,ironically like many posters on the topic.However even that was less of a problem on the satellite radio channels and not one on the music video channels.While in my case I often didn’t bother to edit out radio DJ’s.Like many others I just left it recording.Bearing in mind that there were plenty of DJ’s who were also more interested in playing music than jabbering over records to please the establishment.On that note these are good examples of that in the day and a great DJ.But unfortunately not the best of music,depending on preference and one stated as being recorded on the cheapest possible option of a microphone and a tape. :open_mouth: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNBes4JOeVk

youtube.com/watch?v=qc6R0PCBwTY

While I’d guess those like citycat actually want all of the radio content not just edited records nor was his choice limited to the BBC ?.In which case recording onto CD direct from home internet radio,rather than having to pay for I phone data charges,seems as good a solution as ever.

At least it ‘would’ have been assuming the CD option gets removed from vehicles.

Carryfast:
I’d guess those like citycat actually want all of the radio content not just edited records nor was his choice limited to the BBC ?.In which case recording onto CD direct from home internet radio,rather than having to pay for I phone data charges,seems as good a solution as ever.

Would be a great solution if you only work half the time. You’d need all that time to record shows in real time, at which point you’ve listened to them anyway so what’s the point?! If you want 50 hours of content to last your working week you need 50 hours at home faffing about with CD-R’s and internet radio :smiley: :smiley: I know you’re retired Carry old fruit but some of us do still work and would rather not spend all our days off recording stuff. Maybe it’s a service you could start up for some beer money - Carryfasts CD Radio Service :smiley: This time next year Carry we’ll be millionaires!

switchlogic:
Would be a great solution if you only work half the time. You’d need all that time to record shows in real time, at which point you’ve listened to them anyway so what’s the point?! If you want 50 hours of content to last your working week you need 50 hours at home faffing about with CD-R’s and internet radio :smiley: :smiley: I know you’re retired Carry old fruit but some of us do still work and would rather not spend all our days off recording stuff. Maybe it’s a service you could start up for some beer money - Carryfasts CD Radio Service :smiley: This time next year Carry we’ll be millionaires!

If this pulls off Luke, any chance of taking your job? Just watched your Italy video, unbelievable how some can get such fantastic jobs.