Nights out in a nail of a truck

When I first started my present job I only had the odd night out but recently the number has been going up. 1 night out a week, up to 2, occasionally 3. The boss knows I flipping hate night outs but I accept them as part of the job. Better up the road than on the dole. The truck ive been using for past few months is a real dog. Its roadworthy and legal but the gearbox is knackered, the engine is completely worn out and it boils over when loaded on gradients. Its basically just horrible to drive and live with. The boss keeps saying he will get the problems sorted but he never does. The worst part is the inside is filthy dirty, smelly and falling to bits, grease on the seats. curtains hanging out e.t.c, you get the picture. When I sleep in it I wake up with flea bites! Ive tried my best to clean it up but what it needs is a proper professional valet, not to mention a ■■■■ good mechanic. Its more suited to shunting in a yard than tramping out all week.

Today I confronted the boss and said that if he wants me to do more nights out im going to need a better truck. He said the condition isnt his responsibilty and basically just told me to put up with it. Hes told other drivers that in the current climate drivers should accept whatever truck they are given and keep their mouths shut. Hes a great bloke on the whole but my nail of a truck is getting me down.

I feel more like a tramp than a professional driver. Am I being unreasonable by wanting a better truck if im “out” all week? Should I shut up and put up? Any opinions welcome, even if you think im just being a wimp!

I wonder if you can insist it is valeted under human rights laws - there must be a minimum standard somewhere…

What you driving anyway?

personally, i would tell him to shove the truck where the sun don’t shine and either refuse to do nights out or if he insists on you doing them, pay for a B&B, i’m not suggesting staying at the local Travel Inn, just somewhere that is cheap, but clean

IMO, you have a basic human right to be given equipment that is fit for the purpose in which you use it for, and by the sound of it it isnt…
If it is just a case of wiping a duster round it and cleaing the floors with a mop, i’d do it myself, but if as you say there are fleas in it, then thats a whole difernt ball game and i’d say you have a ■■■■ good reason for refusing nights out…

Instead of going in and banging the human rights or employee rights drum… try to be reasonable.

Arrange for the lorry to be valeted, with your bosses agreement. I would say about fifty quid would do it. A lot of times bosses cant be bothered organising things themselves but are generally happy enough if someone else is prepared to do it.

Take him and show him the condition of the lorry’s interior. Ask him would he lie out in that thing?

Construcive dissmisal, is he trying to get you to quit, take photos and go to the docs get it confirmed it is flea bites and then go and see a solicitor the first half hour is free, see what they say, and then take it from there

no job is worth getting depressed over but before you do anything rash check out the local employment conditions and get applying

Im not going to let rip at him, or refuse to take it out or anything like that. Hes aways been reasonable with me in the past and its a fledgling company, not much money and only a very small fleet, its not like Stobarts! I dont think hes trying to squeeze me out, one driver is retiring soon so he wont have any need to get rid of me(I think). Im far from the “shove your job” stage yet!

Although I class the boss as a “good guy” hes a bit of a cab rat himself and his idea of clean is different to most others, thats probably the main problem. He cant see what im moaning about as he would have no worries taking the truck out!

The truck ive got at the moment is an old(ish) ERF. A perfectly respectible steed for nights out, but not when its an example on its last legs.

I think the valeting approach is the way to go at the moment. The unit is beyond a tin of pledge and a duster. I could just about put up with the other faults of the inside was ok.

BuzzardBoy:
IMO, you have a basic human right to be given equipment that is fit for the purpose in which you use it for, and by the sound of it it isnt…
If it is just a case of wiping a duster round it and cleaing the floors with a mop, i’d do it myself, but if as you say there are fleas in it, then thats a whole difernt ball game and i’d say you have a ■■■■ good reason for refusing nights out…

i’d go with this.
if its in need of a good clean, go for it, for your own benefit and peace of mind, and see if the guvnor will cough up for the cleaning goods? if its beyond that, and needs a valet, he should pay if he wants you to be away, but in the current climate, alot of guvnors will be playing their trump card.

if it helps, for the last 7 years, i’ve driven nothing but ssc xf’s and xl globetrotters, and all were mint.
next month, i’m going too be doing a job, that will be 8 weeks on the road, in its main part, and in all that time, driving a flat roof, r reg, fh volvo :astonished:
why? because its a job i really, really wanna do, and the money is cracking :grimacing:

suppose like most things, you gotta weigh up the pros and cons.

think this topic shows the true meaning of a TRAMPer

tin hat at the ready !

chilistrucker:
next month, i’m going too be doing a job, that will be 8 weeks on the road, in its main part, and in all that time, driving a flat roof, r reg, fh volvo :astonished:

OWCH! where are you driving it? Into the science museum?

chilistrucker:

BuzzardBoy:

i’d go with this.
if its in need of a good clean, go for it, for your own benefit and peace of mind, and see if the guvnor will cough up for the cleaning goods? if its beyond that, and needs a valet, he should pay if he wants you to be away, but in the current climate, alot of guvnors will be playing their trump card.

if it helps, for the last 7 years, i’ve driven nothing but ssc xf’s and xl globetrotters, and all were mint.
why? because its a job i really, really wanna do, and the money is cracking :grimacing:

suppose like most things, you gotta weigh up the pros and cons.

transam i take it? LOL

“and the money is cracking” -above the minimum wage then?

There are a few ways to deal with this, my instant reaction would be to tell him him to shove the job, but you may not be able to get another, so in the meantime whilst you are looking around for a job in a company that actually gives a toss about it’s employees you should clean it yourself, ask the bloke to reimburse you for your time & the cost of the cleaning products, if he does then fine, if not add it to your compensation claim when you go for constructive dismissal. I hear what you’re saying about it being a small firm & that, but the bloke’s attitude stinks as bad as your ERF :imp:

at least you can sleep in the truck,one bloke i know was sent out in a day cab puddle jumper,and wait for it,!!! a tent,for a night out in jock land,lol :laughing: :laughing:

but sounds like you need a bug bomb in there,about 6 quid,let that off friday night,and get the hoover out saturday,no more nastys,

do you wanna [zb] the boss off? don’t do anything rash and just sit tight he may change his mind when he gets a bill that will cost him a lot to fix, then he might consider buying a new one

Got any pics of the lorry and inside?

( language edit ) jd

theres always B&B
you get a lie in in the morning cos they never do early breakfast

Lankytim:

chilistrucker:

OWCH! where are you driving it? Into the science museum?

nah, natural history, too go with the other dinosaurs :grimacing:

suedehead, yeah its above minimum wage.

Suedehead:
“and the money is cracking” -above the minimum wage then?

its above the minimum wage…and some more…then some more…then some more

its bloody good thats all im saying.