Nighting out

The way I understand this is if you are within 25 miles from your home depot you don’t get your night out money. Now, I assume the thinking behind this is you can get back to the yard and go home as it’s your home depot and you live within a few miles, is this right?

The problem I have is I live 80 miles from my home depot so it’s not practical for me to travel home. is it still the same for me? I have tried to reason with them with no luck. Can I legally argue it?

Any help appreciated.

I’m not following? Are you making it back to the yard then staying in the cab because it’s not practical to drive home?

Also I’ve not heard about the home depot rule as a legislative thing. I know Stobarts operate that way. My lot don’t. I even ran out of hours ten mins from the yard and got paid for it.

that’s a new one on me. who do you work for.

toonsy:
I’m not following? Are you making it back to the yard then staying in the cab because it’s not practical to drive home?

Sorry not being clear, I am a tramper and lately the planners have been keeping me local, so I haven’t been getting my night out money. Hope that’s clearer

philw:

toonsy:

Sorry not being clear, I am a tramper and lately the planners have been keeping me local, so I haven’t been getting my noight out money.

Unfortunately rightly so. It’s not their fault you choose not to go home. This is why I don’t count night out money as wages.

Only thing you can do really is speak to planners, explain it’s not economical to do a 160 mile round trip etc etc

m.a.n rules:

Downtons.

philw:

m.a.n rules:

Downtons.

no surprise there then . but as toonsy said if you are back at the yard you are fubarred.

toonsy:

philw:

toonsy:

Sorry not being clear, I am a tramper and lately the planners have been keeping me local, so I haven’t been getting my noight out money.

Unfortunately rightly so. It’s not their fault you choose not to go home. This is why I don’t count night out money as wages.

Only thing you can do really is speak to planners, explain it’s not economical to do a 160 mile round trip etc etc

I understand that, I am quite happy to go home, but the rows I have with them when they think it ok to reduce me to 9hrs aswell, then when I piont out I’ll have 11 off as I’m not classed as a mobile worker when in the depot so it’s up to me if i want to reduce they just say “that’s no good to us”.
I’m just annoyed really they seem to want it both ways But there I suppose what should i expect (the joys of being at the bottom of the pile)

toonsy:

philw:

toonsy:

You’re lucky they let you sleep in truck if at base , as some companies would have unit go out on night trunk if back in depot [emoji49]
Don’t forget it’s not your truck so it’s fair game
Night out money is for nights out spent away from depot , not in it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Times up your times up,makes no difference if its 25 miles or 5 miles if your parked up,this rule must be a Company rule nothing more.They know as most on here does, you are either going to be back in the depot in your car and home OR the wife or girlfriend is going to pick you up and drop you off again next day If what I think your asking is, because you don`t live local to your depot and live 80 miles away the ruling should not apply to you.Unfortunately if you live 80 miles away and choose to commute its not the Companies problem.

toonsy:

Also I’ve not heard about the home depot rule as a legislative thing. I know Stobarts operate that way. My lot don’t. I even ran out of hours ten mins from the yard and got paid for it.

Same here, nearest night out I have had is 15 miles from yard. Still got paid.

More penny pinching from the big boys. Although if its your choice instead of theirs I can understand it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Like Toonsy just said…

You should never include your night out money as wages.

Many many years ago, I drove for Wincanton out of a depot they had in Brentford. The yard itself was just off the A4 about 1/4 of a mile down a small road. Every night of the week several lorries would be parked on that road within walking distance of the yard itself. The drivers were claiming night out money and were getting paid it too.

As far as I’m aware there is no set mileage limit that night out allowance should be paid.

lolipop:
Times up your times up,makes no difference if its 25 miles or 5 miles if your parked up,this rule must be a Company rule nothing more.They know as most on here does, you are either going to be back in the depot in your car and home OR the wife or girlfriend is going to pick you up and drop you off again next day If what I think your asking is, because you don`t live local to your depot and live 80 miles away the ruling should not apply to you.Unfortunately if you live 80 miles away and choose to commute its not the Companies problem.

Fair enough that’s all I wanted to know.

yourhavingalarf:
Like Toonsy just said…

Many many years ago, I drove for Wincanton out of a depot they had in Brentford. The yard itself was just off the A4 about 1/4 of a mile down a small road. Every night of the week several lorries would be parked on that road within walking distance of the yard itself. The drivers were claiming night out money and were getting paid it too.

As far as I’m aware there is no set mileage limit that night out allowance should be paid.

According to Downtons It’s gov legislation

There must be a decent firm that you could work for in an 80 mile radius of your house that arnt as petty as the big hauliers. Each to their own and all that but I don’t understand why people work for the likes of Downtons, wincantons etc with all the corporate crap that comes with it

Night-and-day:
There must be a decent firm that you could work for in an 80 mile radius of your house that arnt as petty as the big hauliers. Each to their own and all that but I don’t understand why people work for the likes of Downtons, wincantons etc with all the corporate crap that comes with it

Well there are a few within 40 mile radius. But one pays wait for it! £7.85ph and the others seem to pay £100 per day so on a 15 that’s even less

philw. the only other advice I would give you is look for another job.downtons haven’t got the best reputation in the industry.

m.a.n rules:
philw. the only other advice I would give you is look for another job.downtons haven’t got the best reputation in the industry.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but I wasn’t/am not moaning it’ was just a question to see if the home depot rule applied.

philw:

yourhavingalarf:
Like Toonsy just said…

According to Downtons It’s gov legislation

According To Downton’s you can earn £100 fuel bonus too.

That’s also ■■■■■■■■…

Do they still pay if you “happen to be” about 80miles from base, and about 80 yards from your front door?
Would you hand it back if they did?
Maybe its never happened, but youll see the point I`m making.