Nighting out

How can it be right that if you are 24 miles from your home depot but out of time you don’t get night out money. Totally ridiculous and you’d think they are the ones breaking the rules if anything!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
How can it be right that if you are 24 miles from your home depot but out of time you don’t get night out money. Totally ridiculous and you’d think they are the ones breaking the rules if anything!

Absolutely, it does not matter a ■■■■ if he’s 24 miles or two miles, if his times up and he stays in his truck, it’s a paid night out…end of.
Who do those forkers think they are making stupid bloody rules like that, just to save a few quid on the backs of their drivers, the rules are the rules on driver’s hours, distance is irrelavent.
Tell them to shove it, and get a job with a decent firm…even my lot aint as bad as that ffs. :unamused:
Well done for naming (and hopefully shaming) the tight arsed ■■■■.s …I hope it gets back to them. :smiling_imp:

philw:
According to Downtons It’s gov legislation

No it’s not Phil…

Ask them to show you exactly where in gov legislation they are referring to.

Another reason not to work for Downhill’s Billy Bullshifter planners.

It used to be that drivers could self declare they were entitled to Tax Free night out money, so long as they were a specified distance from base. To claim allowance at a smaller distance they would have to supply receipts etc. Or claim, and be taxed on it.
Sounds like a bit of mis-understanding of old tax rules, plus a bit of cost saving, but ultimately doesn`t it depend on the contract of employment? Nowt to do with law as such, just terms of employment?

robroy:

wrighty1:

Absolutely, it does not matter a [zb] if he’s 24 miles or two miles, if his times up and he stays in his truck, it’s a paid night out…end of.
Who do those forkers think they are making stupid bloody rules like that, just to save a few quid on the backs of their drivers, the rules are the rules on driver’s hours, distance is irrelavent.
Tell them to shove it, and get a job with a decent firm…even my lot aint as bad as that ffs. :unamused:
Well done for naming (and hopefully shaming) the tight arsed [zb].s …I hope it gets back to them. :smiling_imp:

Absolutely bang on.

But the problem is that men will put up with this. People at the place I’m agencying keep telling me to wait for when the office turn on me (so far they have been more than nice and pleasant) - I’ve told them the day it happens I’ll be out the door and not coming back.

The issues with drivers is that they have no spine (not the OP I’m having a dig at). If someone disrespects me I either give them some back or never darken their door again.

Driving jobs are not hard to come by. Even I can get work and as you know I’m not driving God. But people are scared of losing a crap job. I don’t think you can help people like this.

I’m not sure I’m getting the question the OP is really asking so I’ll try to answer a couple of things. You cannot decide that you want a night out (for the money or your own convenience) if you have enough duty or driving time left to get back to the yard. There just might be circumstances related to accumulated tiredness which would justify doing so however. If you are loaded and out of time then then it would be OK to run into the yard from a couple of miles away ‘to reach safe parking’ and to note that on a print out. This must not be a regular occurrence. Otherwise if you reach the end of your duty or driving time then you must park up for a night out and claim allowance. You may be expected to provide receipts to prove that. If you are able to do so then the company must pay up. The fact that you live however many miles away from the yard is not the company’s fault, it was your choice, you could have taken a job nearer to home - or moved closer to your work. If the travelling to and from the yard from home is exhausting you then you should leave on the grounds of road safety. The company can ask you to take a reduced rest period between duties, again it is not their fault you live so far away from the yard. It would however not be seen as sensible for them to do so multiple times in a week nor in certain combinations of duty and rest timings.

robroy:

wrighty1:

Absolutely, it does not matter a [zb] if he’s 24 miles or two miles, if his times up and he stays in his truck, it’s a paid night out…end of.
Well done for naming (and hopefully shaming) the tight arsed [zb].s …I hope it gets back to them. :smiling_imp:

I think that a few different issues are mixed up Rob. If a driver genuinely runs out of hours, or won’t have enough time to reach a depot, a night out will be paid. I’ve been paid lots of nights out in Bristol and even Chepstow, both within 25 miles from Magor.
But as you know, it’s the ■■■■ takers that ruin a good job for the rest. And that’s why some companies add a minimum distance to the depot to their nights out. Saville’s didn’t pay nights out if you got back to Bristol, unless you were a driver who commuted once a week from some distance. To many drivers parking up on the ring road and getting picked up by the missus…

philw:

yourhavingalarf:
Like Toonsy just said…

You should never include your night out money as wages.

Many many years ago, I drove for Wincanton out of a depot they had in Brentford. The yard itself was just off the A4 about 1/4 of a mile down a small road. Every night of the week several lorries would be parked on that road within walking distance of the yard itself. The drivers were claiming night out money and were getting paid it too.

As far as I’m aware there is no set mileage limit that night out allowance should be paid.

According to Downtons It’s gov legislation

No it’s not gov legislation if your back in yard and no more work but you choose not to go home then fine you get no night out money,but if out on a job distance is not an issue with night out money you should get it,this doesn’t surprise me with this company at all

philw:

m.a.n rules:
that’s a new one on me. who do you work for.

Downtons.

What depot?.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

If your out of time.They will pay it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

At the end of the day…if they want a tramper,I’d expect them to keep me out all week…or pay me for kipping in the yard.
Or…Just manufacture a night out.

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

wrighty1:

I think that a few different issues are mixed up Rob. If a driver genuinely runs out of hours, or won’t have enough time to reach a depot, a night out will be paid. I’ve been paid lots of nights out in Bristol and even Chepstow, both within 25 miles from Magor.
But as you know, it’s the ■■■■ takers that ruin a good job for the rest. And that’s why some companies add a minimum distance to the depot to their nights out. Saville’s didn’t pay nights out if you got back to Bristol, unless you were a driver who commuted once a week from some distance. To many drivers parking up on the ring road and getting picked up by the missus…
[/quote.]
Different companies have different rules regarding the payment of nights out. So move along bun fight over.

If your out of time your our of time nothing you can do. Apart from ring office see if they have a driver that can bring your truck back to base.

I once had a night out 17 miles from depot. . Luckily was near my mum’s so went there had tea shower etc she dropoed be off at wagon about 10pm slept in there and headed back to yard following morning

I’ve had nights out at Colsterworth truck stop which is less than 2 miles from my depot because the company know that whilst I will reduce to a 9 when out I will not do it if I’m home. Paid in full, no quibbles.

Have you got a diesel car? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Transalliance routed us via the yard, we got a night out regardless of us sleeping in the yard or going home, it was preferable to parking in a services with a valuable load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said on my last post times up your times up,park up and you should be paid n/o money irrespective how far from base you are.There is no law or rule that says you MUST stay with or sleep in your vehicle.As long as the vehicle is where you claim your n/o money for,where you are is nothing to do with the Company.As long as you don`t make it obvious your home by collecting your car from the depot to get home.

When i nighted out in my home depot, i went to manager and asked him what situation was with night out money and he explained to me that they personally would have no problem giving me night out money despite being at depot BUT they couldn’t as it would be illegal. As they arent able to give a tax free night out allowance if driver is within 15 miles of home depot.

pware96:
When i nighted out in my home depot, i went to manager and asked him what situation was with night out money and he explained to me that they personally would have no problem giving me night out money despite being at depot BUT they couldn’t as it would be illegal. As they arent able to give a tax free night out allowance if driver is within 15 miles of home depot.

A “Tax Free” payment may not be possible.
The same payment could be made, after tax is taken out.
Or tax free payments are possible on proof of genuine expenses incurred.
A “Tax Free Allowance” does away with the need to routinely provide receipts for everything, but only if (typically) you are a certain distance away.

Park ten miles away and put in the receipt for your taxi ride home, and back to work in the morning.
See if a taxed “inconvenience” payment, or taxed night-out is forthcoming next time?

:confused:

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk