Night out taxation

I have heard from numerous trampers that part of their night out allowance is subject to taxation, if they do not provide receipts. Along with their meal allowance. I now have 2 questions and any help would be appreciated as it’s left me quite bemused as to where HMRC stand on this.

1. Eddie stobart openly advertise rates on their website of £15 per day tax free meal allowance and £22.50 night out money - again tax free this is openly incorporated as take home pay often citing what it would be if translated into hourly pay. How can they openly suggest this to be part of a salary when many would believe to be only “expenses” money (hence the reason it’s tax free)

2. (this isn’t taking a pop at stobart) but if they can openly advertise tax free allowances as part of a salary package and not expenses. Then why is it not incorporated into holiday pay and also why aren’t other companies jumping on the band wagon of offering high tax free meal allowances to boost wages up and thus reducing their own overheads by paying less of their own NI and Tax.

Sorry if this post is long winded. I’m not taking a pop at stobart or trampers in general I’m just curious as to why HMRC seem very interested in asking for receipts of nights out and proven meals yet stobart (and many other big players) openly admit to offering tax free allowances to boost wages even comparing It to hourly pay?

I look forward to all of your thoughts - Lucid Dreams.

it makes their crappy rates look good and stupid drivers then think they are on a “great” rate .

Hi Beefy, I understand that concept and I for one don’t know of any tramper willing to work for under £500 take home tramping (inclusive of tax free allowances) I just think HMRC should take a “all or nothing” approach to this. It’s obvious trampers have this allowance to “boost their earnings up” so why should they provide receipts? And if HMRC are so adamant on receipt proof incase of audit then surely government regulation should be put in place to scrap tax free allowances totally and force companies into increasing tramper pay so that their take home is the same as it were when tax free allowances were implemented. That way take home pay for holidays would be the same as when these guys are actually out on the road… let me know what you think - Lucid Dreams.

It’s tax free as long as there are receipts for at least some of the amount and/or proof of the driver and vehicle being away from base.

Hi Albion, thank you for your reply, yes I understand it’s tax free providing a receipt is provided, surely if the truck was provided with a tracker this would be proof it was away from base? My thoughts initially are why are companies openly suggesting “yes you’ll get a tax free allowance of £35 per night inclusive of meal allowance” but with that you’ll have to provide a receipt albeit for a £1 krispy kreme - nevertheless why should a trucker be forced into providing a receipt and pressured into worrying whether nights out and meal allowances will be taxed if they don’t provide this receipt? This is an “allowance” for a worker being away from base, how could it be ethical to claim this be a part of a gross salary and implement this on the lines of “equivelant pay £10-11” etc. I’m not being argumentative, I’m just open to new ideas and improved conditions across the industry. (Sorry if I’m not making much sense English isn’t my first language) lucid dreams.

albion:
It’s tax free as long as there are receipts for at least some of the amount and/or proof of the driver and vehicle being away from base.

Looks to me like youre talking about two different issues. HMRCs rules and attitude to expenses and allowances.
and
Some Employers lumping expenses in with wages.
For myself, I drive a vehicle with a tracker and have never been asked (yet) for any receipts. Keeping receipts for meals isnt a great hardship really, and surely a bank statement showing payments to restaurants hundreds of miles away would do? For me at least, its a non-issue.
Looking at the thread on Stobarts wage structure, yes I see what you mean. But anyone taking a few minutes to examine the pay example shown should be able to work out whats what. Yeah, the headline figures are better than "real life" hourly rates, but theyre advertising a job. And advertising is rarely totally straight anywhere. Disappointing that they arent clearer than they are, but not really lies Id say.
Maybe a “heads up” about their attitude to drivers generally?

Franglais:
Looks to me like youre talking about two different issues. HMRCs rules and attitude to expenses and allowances.
and
Some Employers lumping expenses in with wages.
For myself, I drive a vehicle with a tracker and have never been asked (yet) for any receipts. Keeping receipts for meals isnt a great hardship really, and surely a bank statement showing payments to restaurants hundreds of miles away would do? For me at least, its a non-issue.
Looking at the thread on Stobarts wage structure, yes I see what you mean. But anyone taking a few minutes to examine the pay example shown should be able to work out whats what. Yeah, the headline figures are better than "real life" hourly rates, but theyre advertising a job. And advertising is rarely totally straight anywhere. Disappointing that they arent clearer than they are, but not really lies Id say.
Maybe a “heads up” about their attitude to drivers generally?

Hey franglais, thank you for your reply - I know of numerous drivers who are out all week and buy no food or drink on the road - rather it’s all taken with them before they leave their house Monday morning. I just don’t believe drivers should be buying products out on the road in order to have pay implemented tax free in the weekly pay packet. Just to boost their take home (only my opinion) adverts are extremely straight for a lot of hauliers out there. Although others obviously take a more curved approach to their weekly pay structure. I wouldn’t know how stobart treat their drivers. I hope with dignity :wink: - Lucid Dreams.

Lucid-dreams:
Hi Albion, thank you for your reply, yes I understand it’s tax free providing a receipt is provided, surely if the truck was provided with a tracker this would be proof it was away from base? My thoughts initially are why are companies openly suggesting “yes you’ll get a tax free allowance of £35 per night inclusive of meal allowance” but with that you’ll have to provide a receipt albeit for a £1 krispy kreme - nevertheless why should a trucker be forced into providing a receipt and pressured into worrying whether nights out and meal allowances will be taxed if they don’t provide this receipt? This is an “allowance” for a worker being away from base, how could it be ethical to claim this be a part of a gross salary and implement this on the lines of “equivelant pay £10-11” etc. I’m not being argumentative, I’m just open to new ideas and improved conditions across the industry. (Sorry if I’m not making much sense English isn’t my first language) lucid dreams.

albion:

That’s why I said or proof the driver or truck is away. It’s been said that tracker evidence is enough.

As for why do drivers have to get receipts, because you don’t argue with HMRC. My drivers spend time in hotels, I’d love not to have ave to faff with receipts for rooms and food but theme the rules.

That’s why I said or proof the driver or truck is away. It’s been said that tracker evidence is enough.

As for why do drivers have to get receipts, because you don’t argue with HMRC. My drivers spend time in hotels, I’d love not to have ave to faff with receipts for rooms and food but theme the rules.

Hello again Albion, I guess the point I’m trying to get across is that in an ideal world said very loosely a tramper shouldn’t have to keep receipts to make their take home (perhaps £20-50 a week more than a day man?) Bearing in mind that’s in return for sleeping in a tin can Just to satisfy HMRC. the onus isn’t on HMRC. rather I dream of the day there’s a industry wide shake up. And wages don’t have to be boosted by “allowances” I also very much doubt you’re in the majority for allowing your employees to stay in hotels. If only all companies had the same outlook as yours. Lucid Dreams.

Lucid-dreams:
I have heard from numerous trampers that part of their night out allowance is subject to taxation, if they do not provide receipts. Along with their meal allowance. I now have 2 questions and any help would be appreciated as it’s left me quite bemused as to where HMRC stand on this.

1. Eddie stobart openly advertise rates on their website of £15 per day tax free meal allowance and £22.50 night out money - again tax free this is openly incorporated as take home pay often citing what it would be if translated into hourly pay. How can they openly suggest this to be part of a salary when many would believe to be only “expenses” money (hence the reason it’s tax free)

2. (this isn’t taking a pop at stobart) but if they can openly advertise tax free allowances as part of a salary package and not expenses. Then why is it not incorporated into holiday pay and also why aren’t other companies jumping on the band wagon of offering high tax free meal allowances to boost wages up and thus reducing their own overheads by paying less of their own NI and Tax.

Sorry if this post is long winded. I’m not taking a pop at stobart or trampers in general I’m just curious as to why HMRC seem very interested in asking for receipts of nights out and proven meals yet stobart (and many other big players) openly admit to offering tax free allowances to boost wages even comparing It to hourly pay?

I look forward to all of your thoughts - Lucid Dreams.

It is because Stobarts and other firm are including it in there take home pay. Simple.

HMRC now want prove.

Plus its not included in holiday pay. Another company fiddle and its a business expense. Another fiddle. Understand■■?

Race to the bottom.

Drivers wake up and smell the …

It is because Stobarts and other firm are including it in there take home pay. Simple.

HMRC now want prove.

Plus its not included in holiday pay. Another company fiddle and its a business expense. Another fiddle. Understand■■?

Race to the bottom.

[/quote]
Good evening Jimbo, thank you for your response - well there’s not much to prove? It’s stated on their website and giving an example as to the equivelant hourly pay. I understand, it’s okay having a fiddle. I love having a fiddle with my wife for example. But I think it’s quite wrong that a man’s take home pay should all be based on a fiddle■■? I’m quite sure your 37.5 hour weekly work with the council isn’t based on a “fiddle” - lucid dreams.

Lucid-dreams:

HMRC now want prove.

Race to the bottom.

Good evening Jimbo, thank you for your response - well there’s not much to prove? It’s stated on their website and giving an example as to the equivelant hourly pay. I understand, it’s okay having a fiddle. I love having a fiddle with my wife for example. But I think it’s quite wrong that a man’s take home pay should all be based on a fiddle■■? I’m quite sure your 37.5 hour weekly work with the council isn’t based on a “fiddle” - lucid dreams.
[/quote]
Troll.

But happy days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And I work 37 hours not 37.5

truckerjimbo:

Lucid-dreams:

HMRC now want prove.

Race to the bottom.

Troll.

But happy days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And I work 37 hours not 37.5
[/quote]
No I’m not trolling, I’m merely trying to have an adult debate in a truckers forum, great I’m genuinely happy you’re pleased with your work. May you continue living your life to the full. It’s certainly more pleasant hours than general haulage - I know from experience. Lucid Dreams.

“adult debate in a truckers forum”

Happy days, I wish you the best of luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If my employer gave me, let’s say £10 a day meal allowance but insisted on receipts then I’d just give him the receipt for my weekly household shop (£100+) from Tesco and tell him that I buy my food there and take it to work with me which is exactly what I do because apart from the odd cuppa, I won’t touch the ■■■ they serve in roadside caffs. The point I’m making is that you can give them any old receipts - it’s up to you where you buy your food, not them.

DaveyCrocket:
If my employer gave me, let’s say £10 a day meal allowance but insisted on receipts then I’d just give him the receipt for my weekly household shop (£100+) from Tesco and tell him that I buy my food there and take it to work with me which is exactly what I do because apart from the odd cuppa, I won’t touch the ■■■ they serve in roadside caffs. The point I’m making is that you can give them any old receipts - it’s up to you where you buy your food, not them.

Hi dave, very good point! But do HMRC allow this? I mean, if I was to put my shopping bill through which I bought on a Saturday - that isn’t when I’m out in the truck. So would that satisfy HMRC? I do 100% agree with you though. Lucid Dreams.

What a load of nonsense.

commonrail:
What a load of nonsense.

Hello commonrail, thank you for your meaningful response - Lucid Dreams.

:laughing:

As my grandmother,used to say
“if you catch a weasel asleep…■■■■ in it’s tab”
:wink:

commonrail:
:lol:

As my grandmother,used to say
“if you catch a weasel asleep…■■■■ in it’s tab”
:wink:

Your grandmother sounded like a very wise lady! Opportunistic nevertheless :wink: - Lucid Dreams.