Night Out Money

Evening people.
I’m after some advice on what night out money is classed as?
Is it an expense,a subsistence or an allowance or part of your earnings?
We get £25 per night out which is non taxable but my payroll bod seems to think it’s part of my earnings.
I’ve tried ringing HMRC for clarification and all I got was a woman who didn’t have a clue what I was referring to.
The reason I ask is I’ve had a DOE placed on my wages from the lovely CSA and my payroll bod is putting my night out money in to the kitty for them to take.
If anyone has got any official information from the HMRC on what night out money is classed as I’d really appreciate it.

I thought that it is a subsistence, to pay for your food, shower & possibly parking (stay in a layby, industrial estate or Transport Association member depot) it’s not taxed & we receive it in cash, so not declared to any CSA Thieving Organisation (come to an arrangement with the ex, it’s loads easier & if they Steal £100 off you, she probably only gets £75 of it anyway !)

I’ve tried sorting something with her but she’s a ■■■■■ and wants to ruin my life as much as she can :frowning:

in what way…■■

it should be shown on your pay slip. so it would read gross - nat ins - tax then add your n/o and other expenses… are you reading your pay slip right

just a thought

It is subsistence, not earnings and shouldn’t be taken into account for maintenance payments.

You need to give your ex 15% of your nett wages for one child, 20% for two children, 25% for three children, less one-seventh for any night they regularly stay with you. But this doesn’t include your night-out money. If she kicks up about it, refer her to the CSA, they do understand the difference between wages and subsistence.

Booked in when??:
Evening people.
I’m after some advice on what night out money is classed as?
Is it an expense,a subsistence or an allowance or part of your earnings?
We get £25 per night out which is non taxable but my payroll bod seems to think it’s part of my earnings.
I’ve tried ringing HMRC for clarification and all I got was a woman who didn’t have a clue what I was referring to.
The reason I ask is I’ve had a DOE placed on my wages from the lovely CSA and my payroll bod is putting my night out money in to the kitty for them to take.
If anyone has got any official information from the HMRC on what night out money is classed as I’d really appreciate it.

Night out money is NOT part of your earnings.
Its a NON taxable payment, providing you stay within the allowed Taxman`s guidelines,to cover out of pocket expenses whilst away from home,and is TAX FREE
It does NOT cover overnight parking fees they are paid separately on production of a parking ticket receipt.
Sleeper cabs are on a lower rate than having to stay in a B&B etc etc
If you are not paid cash in hand, out of the petty cash box,then your expense payments should be shown in a separate column on your payslip as a NON Taxable payment
Further info can be found on the Gov website as to what you can claim

Harry and Lolipop;
Cheers for that guys!! The trouble is trying to talk to the CSA is a bloody nightmare :frowning:
I’ll be back in my yard tomorrow so I’ll get the owner and the payroll bod to re look at what figures they are giving to the CSA and try and make them fill out the form properly!!

OP You (or anyone else with a genuine concern) regarding Csa rules can pm me on here. I have extremely in depth knowledge on dwp regulations nuff said :wink:

Night Out money is not part of your wages. Never has been never will be.
When I first started driving we always got the Night Out money “cash in hand” out of the petty cash. Some drivers seam to class it as part of there pay but “it’s not”.

It’s no way part of your wages but that many people think it is now and class it all as one.
I also used to get it in cash on a Friday along with any parking reimbursed.
Too many drivers see it added on to net pay and think they are on a good wage, well take that £80 to £100 off and it don’t look that cracking anymore :confused:
Your wages person should really know that it’s not part of your wage to be honest.

I’ve been doing nights out for over 25 years and have always been given it in cash in advance, no matter which (and there have been a few!) company I was driving for. I’ve always assumed that this was the norm because it’s to pay for my personal expenses etc for the following days/nights working away from home. What good is to me at the end of the month…I want a beer and a kebab tonight, not on the 30th!!

Born Idle:
I’ve been doing nights out for over 25 years and have always been given it in cash in advance, no matter which (and there have been a few!) company I was driving for. I’ve always assumed that this was the norm because it’s to pay for my personal expenses etc for the following days/nights working away from home. What good is to me at the end of the month…I want a beer and a kebab tonight, not on the 30th!!

Yes it should be like that in an ideal world,my last firm we had to pay out parking as well and get it back at the end of the following week,one week I had net pay of £620 I took my night out money and parking off and without that it would of been £460,I think a lot of drivers are pulling the wool over there own eyes with nights out going on net pay.

I’ve been in to see the boss man and payroll bod and even though the the chief is telling him to not include my night out money in the info he’s giving the CSA he is adamant he will till he hears from the scum to say he shouldn’t!!
My head is killing me from banging it against a brick wall :wink:
We’ll after speaking to the CSA it seems that for the last 9 years they’ve taken my night out money into account and it looks like I’ve overpaid to the tune of nearly £12k!!

Booked in when??:
I’ve been in to see the boss man and payroll bod and even though the the chief is telling him to not include my night out money in the info he’s giving the CSA he is adamant he will till he hears from the scum to say he shouldn’t!!
We’ll after speaking to the CSA it seems that for the last 9 years they’ve taken my night out money into account and it looks like I’ve overpaid to the tune of nearly £12k!!

you wanna tell payroll if it don’t stop you’ll take him to court for loss of expenses na balls just get legal advice and do the numb nut

Booked in when??:

£12.000 :open_mouth: can you claim that back off them??,
Make me sick the csa, I believe every bloke should pay towards a child after parents split up but they take the Micky and always hammer a hard working bloke

yorkshire terrier:
Make me sick the csa, I believe every bloke should pay towards a child after parents split up but they take the Micky and always hammer a hard working bloke

I agree. I spend a fortune on my children, but I give as little as possible to my ex, who comes from a fairly wealthy family but is still obsessed with the concept of “more”. It seems that she only ever phones me to moan about money. Because I’m “Limited Company” and have a very good accountant she gets £102 a month and that’s her lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s looking like that amount!! Every NRP has a different story and should be assessed seperatley instead of all being lumped into the same bracket.
I’m in the process of DPA prints off them so I can go over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Once I’ve got my head around it it’s off to see my MP :slight_smile:

Sorry but is this thread about how to reduce the amount of cash a father pays to support their children. Heres a thought face up to your responsibilities and stop whinging about a few quid here and there. Its not as if your ex is spending it on nights out and bottles of wine :wink:
Deadbeat dads i’ve ■■■■ em…

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry but is this thread about how to reduce the amount of cash a father pays to support their children. Heres a thought face up to your responsibilities and stop whinging about a few quid here and there. Its not as if your ex is spending it on nights out and bottles of wine :wink:
Deadbeat dads i’ve [zb] em…

Thanks for your input it’s really appreciated :wink:
No this thread isn’t about not paying for my responsibilities it’s about why or if night out money should be taken in to account when being assessed.
As it turns out it shouldn’t be and it looks like I’ve over paid by roughly £12k over the last 8-9 years. I just wish I was rich enough not to have to whinge about £12k!
Once again thanks for your input ■■■■■■■ Dave

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry but is this thread about how to reduce the amount of cash a father pays to support their children.

No it isn’t, it’s about paying the correct amount a father should pay to support his children according to the law.

If you paid for parking, and your company reimbursed you for it at the end of the week, would you expect to pay 20% of the parking fee to your ex-wife in maintenance? Or Severn Bridge tolls?

Then why would night-out money be any different?