Night out money

In need of a bit of advice, can you boss decide weather or not to pay night out allowance?

I am working in Highbridge and if i night out in Avonmouth the say they can refuse to pay night out money unless authorised, is this right? I thought the only time the didn’t have to pay it is you were at base

thanks in advance.

There is no legal requirement for you to be paid for nights out. It is a tax free allowance up to a certain amount that an employer can choose to pay to compensate you for the costs arising from nighting out but they’re not required to.

If its in your contract they have to pay it but thats a contractual issue and if the company policy is not to pay night out money when you park in another company depot then they’re perfectly entitled to do that and are especially likely to if there is a free/subsidised staff canteen on site you can use.

As Conor says it depends on your Contract of Employment. Could it be a tax issue? For a former employer we had to fill out a form saying we were more than 30miles from base and/or home to claim tax free allowance. If under 30miles we`d receive the allowance less tax.

Franglais:
As Conor says it depends on your Contract of Employment. Could it be a tax issue? For a former employer we had to fill out a form saying we were more than 30miles from base and/or home to claim tax free allowance. If under 30miles we`d receive the allowance less tax.

Not sure why this should be, HMRC don’t stipulate that you have to be a certain distance away from base?

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve run out of time less than ten miles from base and our lot have never quibbled about me being paid my night out. Did think about phoning the missus to come and fetch me but I actually get a better night’s kip in the bunk; can’t hear her snoring! :smiley:

As to parking at another depot; far as I’m concerned if you’re not sleeping in your own bed you’re on a night out and you get paid for it. Again, never an issue for our lot, I often end up parking at another mill for the night. Don’t mind usually cos at least I’m guaranteed a shower and access to the kitchen and bogs.

No pay for night out then no night out in truck, they would have to send someone out ,to take over the truck because i would be going home

But i have never had that kind of bull crap , if they where to say we don’t pay you night out if you are in the yard, then i would make sure i was never nighting out in the yard, unless there were some substantial benefits to me staying in the yard

If you’re within a hour of base ours don’t out at all.

I can imagine the threads in the future. My boss wants me to pay him to go to work. Can anyone recommend a good loan shark.

If they don’t pay then find a new job mate, no night out money is taking the ■■■■.

I’m another one, don’t do nights out any more where i am now (unless summat goes ■■■■ up) but if they don’t pay the night out money the lorry will be heading back to base allowing enough time to get it there, if it’s still half loaded tough.

None of this being recovered either (if your spreadover is up), thats illegal as every DCPC holder will or should know.

If its sensibly close to home then the lorry is gunna be lonely… :smiling_imp:

I used to get the Harwich-Hoek ferry overnight quite regularly when I worked for LCS. Had a cabin and usually managed my 9 hr break whilst on there. I still got night out money. :sunglasses: As far as I’m concerned, if you’re overnighted anywhere, you should be compensated.

bigvern1:
I used to get the Harwich-Hoek ferry overnight quite regularly when I worked for LCS. Had a cabin and usually managed my 9 hr break whilst on there. I still got night out money. :sunglasses: As far as I’m concerned, if you’re overnighted anywhere, you should be compensated.

I’ve always been paid night out money on overnight ferry crossings, but I believe that strictly speaking you aren’t supposed to be, or you are supposed to be taxed on it or something.

shorts:
In need of a bit of advice, can you boss decide weather or not to pay night out allowance?

I am working in Highbridge and if i night out in Avonmouth the say they can refuse to pay night out money unless authorised, is this right? I thought the only time the didn’t have to pay it is you were at base

thanks in advance.

Simple mate, if they don’t pay it don’t do it.
You aint working for them for the fun of it or as a gesture of goodwill, you work for them for the money.
What are their grounds or reasons for not paying you anyway, if your time is up your time is up.
On the other hand if you are just leaving base to go there, at end of day, when you could go next morning I suppose I can see their point.

Juddian:
None of this being recovered either (if your spreadover is up), thats illegal as every DCPC holder will or should know.

Well, yes and no. Illegal in a works vehicle, not illegal in the wife’s car/ taxi etc.

Harry Monk:

Juddian:

Well, yes and no. Illegal in a works vehicle, not illegal in the wife’s car/ taxi etc.

Thats what i meant by recovery, when the company send a van out with another driver.

I don’t get night out money and I can imagine the reply if I asked for any :slight_smile:

Juddian:

Harry Monk:

Juddian:

Thats what i meant by recovery, when the company send a van out with another driver.

Yes, I got a telling off from the VOSA once for this, he wanted to know why I had finished on Friday at Aylesford and started Monday at Sittingbourne. I told him I’d taken the truck to Volvo for inspection. So then he wanted to know how I got back to the yard and I told him my boss’s brother had picked me up in his car so then he said I should have made a manual entry as it was “other work”. I just gave him the “Yes, sir, yes sir, three bags full sir” routine and off he went.

shorts:

thanks in advance.

I’m thinking this is Keedwells .
Do you live in Bristol / Avonmouth ?

you must be at Keedwells

raymundo:
I don’t get night out money and I can imagine the reply if I asked for any :slight_smile:

So you do nights out for nothing? :open_mouth:

robroy:

raymundo:

So you do nights out for nothing? :open_mouth: