Night heaters

When were they first an option on UK trucks ?
Was just going to look it up on the internet, but thought it more fun to throw it open to you guys and girls. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I know I had one in my ERF in 1988, and I think I had one in a BRS Merc rental earlier than that.
Just curious, all info appreciated.

No Wikipedia etc allowed… :laughing: :wink:

i know of a driver that was moaning on monday his nite heater isnt working as it should!!! in MAY :unamused: :unamused:

my dad had an old x plate hino with one in and there werent many had them in at that time :open_mouth: .

dazaster:
i know of a driver that was moaning on monday his nite heater isnt working as it should!!! in MAY :unamused: :unamused:

err…soft lad! :wink:

The first time I got one was 1987, I moved out of a Ford Cargo to a brand new 1617 Mercedes- E448 LYP the sleeper was a lot smaller in the Merc but the night heater made up for it only two settings, on or off and it sounded like concorde taking off when it fired up. -I suspect they had been around for quite a while before tho

I had one in '79 merc (V reg , is that right.79 ?)

Rikki-UK:
The first time I got one was 1987, I moved out of a Ford Cargo to a brand new 1617 Mercedes- E448 LYP the sleeper was a lot smaller in the Merc but the night heater made up for it only two settings, on or off and it sounded like concorde taking off when it fired up. -I suspect they had been around for quite a while before tho

I had one in 87 also and like you said it was either on or off, if you had it on and fell asleep at night you’d wake up in stifling heat.

Didn’t they get brought in the same time as the law that said you have to have a high roof to do nights out? Or was it when you had to be a certain measurement away from the steering wheel when on rest? Just something I heard at an RDC one time. :unamused:

In the middle 80’s the company I worked for had B, C & D regs MAN’s which all had night heaters as standard, don’t know whether they had been an opt in on the original spec though or if they were a standard fit, the A reg DAF 2800’s DKSE’s basic spec, we were running were retrofitted with Eberspachers around 86. From 80 onwards the only one’s I came across with them fitted as standard were usually top of the range spec motors and it didn’t seem to filter down to fleet spec until about a decade or so later.

Regards
Dave Penn;

I still think the analogue clock that Vovos had to set the night heater was better than the stoopid dashboard computer-based system they use now. Who wants to set their night heater to come on in three weeks time?

Had my first one on a roadtrain around '85, it did sound like a jumbo taking off, i was woken up on more than one occasion by other drivers seeing smoke coming from under the rear of the cab they thought it was on fire!

Around Y or A registration. DAF 3300 had them as standard fitment

I had a Daf 3300 subbing for Russell Davies in 1981 the reg was VMF115S - that was fitted with a night heater. Bloody noisy though!

Wheel Nut:
Around Y or A registration. DAF 3300 had them as standard fitment

Yep, I used to drive this Daf 3300 and it had a factory fitted night heater. Lovely truck too.

Reckon the 3300 were seen as top spec motors back then, I’ve edited my original post because the A reg DAF’s I drove were basic spec :laughing: :laughing: :wink: even drove one which was downrated think it was the DKTD :blush: Its all a blur might be wrong on those DAF model designations though. IIRC one letter at the end meant one thing and one meant the other :question: It’s a long time ago :blush: :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

i think a 112 scania was the first one i had with a proper night heater, i did have an F10 that had a gas heater that worked off a bottle outside :open_mouth: i never dared leave it on at night but it was wonderful for doing toast on for breakfast in the morning :smiley:
cant imagine what H+S would say about that now !

chaversdad:
i think a 112 scania was the first one i had with a proper night heater, i did have an F10 that had a gas heater that worked off a bottle outside :open_mouth: i never dared leave it on at night but it was wonderful for doing toast on for breakfast in the morning :smiley:
cant imagine what H+S would say about that now !

They are still used with gas in cold places, less chance of the fuel freezing up.

Although some Eberspacher’s do run on petrol :open_mouth:

drove a 110 scania in 1975 sleeper night heater fitted

Wheel Nut:
They are still used with gas in cold places, less chance of the fuel freezing up.

Although some Eberspacher’s do run on petrol :open_mouth:

i think they will be a bit more hi tech than what we had, it was basically a gas fire bolted to the passenger side of the engine tunnel with a rubber hose running under the cab to a gas bottle strapped to the catwalk

Eeh luxury!

We used to dream of a rubber hose running under the cab.

T’were a Calor Gas stove with a brick on in in my day. :wink: