Night Heaters

This might be one of those stupid questions :unamused: I was travelling down the A1 near Elkesley and there was a Polish registered Scania in the lay-by there, he was obviously parked up, his night heater was throwing a lot of black smoke out and It got me wondering, is there any risk from carbon monoxide poisoning with a night heater? His did not look healthy at all.

Never thought of that one :open_mouth: I suppose if the smoke can get back into the cab, it ain’t going to do you a lot of good.

Not from Diesel :laughing: Unless they’ve started fitting petrol night heaters :laughing:

Diesel fumes will just make you cry a bit.

I remember reading somewhere a long while back about a driver that was discovered in his cab (who had unfortunately died) after failing to return to base a day or two after he should and reports suggested he died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty night heater. Came across this thread on another site (sister site??)…
roundtable.truck.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36616

and this bit from our very own…its the 5th post down but i dunno how to drag just the post over :blush:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p … 51&start=0

currie european had a driver pass away in his cab last year and the night heater was found to be faulty…

8 legger:
Not from Diesel :laughing: Unless they’ve started fitting petrol night heaters :laughing:

Diesel engines DO produce carbon monoxide and if your night heater is pulling in it’s own exhaust then you could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning but I think it’ll take allot longer than gas fired boilers ect.

A few quid on a carbon monoxide detector, could both allow you to rest aswell as your mind. Better to be safe than sorry!!! they are pretty cheap & available in most DIY store “Simples!!” Sleep well and stay Safe!!! I have one fitted as standard in my van but that said if I did’nt I would buy one without a doubt :sunglasses:

On the rare occasion that I do a night out, I always leave the sunroof open for ventilation.

That and the fact when I’ve ■■■■■■, it does smell a bit. :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:
On the rare occasion that I do a night out, I always leave the sunroof open for ventilation.

That and the fact when I’ve ■■■■■■, it does smell a bit. :laughing:

Ken.

I always did that… leave the sunroof open… not the ■■■■■■■ bit. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

8 legger:

I thought countrys with colder climates had gas or petrol heaters in the cabs ? as Diesel waxes up when it gets cold.

Not these days with modern anti-wax additives added in Winter.

A PETROL heater :question: My God, doesn’t bear thinking about.

BOOM :exclamation:

when it’s in for a service, ask them to clean the filters. simples.

greggy:
when it’s in for a service, ask them to clean the filters. simples.

Do it yourself.
Keep the the inlet clear of old socks, bellybutton fluff and ■■■■■(why are they always ginger)? :confused:

We had a truck go up in flames one night at Crawford. Luckily the driver was thrown out the cab as he opened the door (he woke up feeling a bit warm as his sleeping bag caught fire) The fire service reckoned it is a very, very common problem with them catching fire.

DoYouMeanMe?:
We had a truck go up in flames one night at Crawford. Luckily the driver was thrown out the cab as he opened the door (he woke up feeling a bit warm as his sleeping bag caught fire) The fire service reckoned it is a very, very common problem with them catching fire.

The Sleeping bags or night heaters?

i wouldn’t say my truck is old but the night heater runs on coal !!!

As the thread title is NIGHT HEATERS errrrr, well maybe you’ll work it out eventually :laughing:

It spooked me that much to be told they cause about 5 fatals a year (according to the man with the singed uniform). I am a little scared about them being on whilst I’m asleep.

DoYouMeanMe?:
As the thread title is NIGHT HEATERS errrrr, well maybe you’ll work it out eventually :laughing:

It spooked me that much to be told they cause about 5 fatals a year (according to the man with the singed uniform). I am a little scared about them being on whilst I’m asleep.

I find that an astonishing statistic. Your man says that FIVE truck drivers die every year because of faulty night heaters…■■?

When I worked for the health service we installed night heaters in the specially equipped minibuses that we used to bring disabled people in to the day unit. These were PETROL engined transits. Someone raised the point about safety so I contacted Eberspatcher who gave me a detailed report on the rigorous safety controls built in to their devices (they are German after all). They insisted that the risk of one of these catching fire was negligable.

I simply cannot believe that equipment that killed five drivers a year would be allowed to be fitted in trucks.

Over the years I have had many faulty heaters but never one that caught fire or discharged fumes into the cab (in spite of clouds of black smoke outside on occasion)

Of course, like most drivers I would always leave a window open a little - even on the coldest night.

Actrosman:
Came across this thread on another site (sister site??)…
roundtable.truck.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36616

Ummmmm, interesting site :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

edit
All the Members are in the US, so I’m guessing it’s a Yank Forum for truckers :laughing:

Night heaters work on a heat exchange principle, similar to a VW Beetle heater. The flame/exhaust side & heated air side are entirely seperate.

For it to emit fumes into the cab the heat exchanger would have to fail, unlikely to do this unless very old or has run for 1000’s and 1000’s of hours.

Now ofcourse its a different matter if a driver allows something to stand infront of or fall over the outlet which then begins to melt/smoulder giving off toxic fumes.

Maybe this is the reason Mercedes moved to a built in system (which takes 3 times longer to get warm :angry: )

Personally, I never leave it running all night, don’t like the noise for one thing. If I wake up cold, just stick it on for 1/2 hour or so.