News of the World

AlexWignall:
People who watch 24/7 News programmes or use the internet for news should realise how important this issue is.

Meh.

This issue is monumentally important for this country. We have a chance, and I do believe we’ve already done it, to break Ruperts Murdochs hold on the politics of this country. The more information that comes out the more clear it becomes that it is very likely News International will never bounce back from this. Most media analysts are saying this is the tip of the iceberg and this is just the very beginning. News Corp it seems is rotten right to the top. This has the capabilities to in the long run bring News Corp down. I don’t think it’ll disappear but I believe in 5 years it’ll be the shadow of it’s former self. Investors in the US are already getting cold feet and dumping stock. Even before this analysts had started to question Murdochs judgement on various things, most notably MySpace, a huge mistake. I dont think it will get it’s hands on BSkyB. Apparently the authorities in the US are to look into News Corp activities in the UK. And they have real teeth. If under US law News Corp has been found to have bribed the Met for information they have the capabilities to seize News Corp assets and break them up. It is illegal for a US company to bribe officials anywhere in the world and they come down hard, very hard, on any company found to have done so. This is making waves on both sides of the atlantic. This is quite simply huge.

The title “News of the World” is wholly inappropriate in it,s self, how the hell can features about the likes of Jordan ( bird with huge knockers, not the Middle Eastern state :laughing: ) or Kerry bloody Catona be described as “News of the World” :open_mouth:

Murdoch has had so many people in his pocket for so many years. The rats might be packing their bags now…Maxwell, Murdoch…two peas from the same pod!

44 Tonne Ton:
Murdoch has had so many people in his pocket for so many years. The rats might be packing their bags now…Maxwell, Murdoch…two peas from the same pod!

Maxwell already packed his bags, Murdoch doesn’t look far behind him, but like Gaddafi, his son will probably take over :smiling_imp:

Wheel Nut:

44 Tonne Ton:

Maxwell already packed his bags, Murdoch doesn’t look far behind him, but like Gaddafi, his son will probably take over :smiling_imp:

Apparently now most people in the know think James Murdochs chances of taking over News Corp have evaporated.

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

44 Tonne Ton:

Apparently now most people in the know think James Murdochs chances of taking over News Corp have evaporated.

James Murdoch has lasted the weekend. He will not resign.

The others will get burned when the BskyB thing is postponed. Then we will get lots of stories about how NI has had a clean sweep and “how things have changed…”

Pretty much The Expenses Scandal but on Fleet Street instead of Westminster. One possibility is that Politicians might start to say what they want to rather than what they ought to. I doubt it though.

W

Of interest to me and possibly to others is the George Michael Twitterfeed, he has been dishing the dirt on the News of the World, Coulson, Giggs and Brooks about his own experiences of media intrusion.

B SKY B shares are dropping like princesses and Luke mentions James Murdoch. I am now thinking he is correct, he may be lucky to keep a pull out supplement

AlexWignall:

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

44 Tonne Ton:

James Murdoch has lasted the weekend. He will not resign.

The others will get burned when the BskyB thing is postponed. Then we will get lots of stories about how NI has had a clean sweep and “how things have changed…”

Pretty much The Expenses Scandal but on Fleet Street instead of Westminster. One possibility is that Politicians might start to say what they want to rather than what they ought to. I doubt it though.

W

I didn’t say he’d resign but he won’t be getting the top job that’s almost certain. But I don’t think he’s long for his current job anyhow. One weekend is nothing, this is the tip of the iceberg, an iceberg that is going to slowly sink News International. Hopefully

I admire your optimisim Switch, but I think NI will weather this storm. Even so, can you imagine the atmosphere in Murdochs flat when he flew in this weekend?

I notice that Radio 4 have been leading the news with the Royal Protection Officer who sold his green book.

I’ve heard the BskyB takeover has gone to the Office of Fair Trading so that’ll be Rebekahs P45 in the post then?

W

Surprise Surprise. The Sunday Times are now being investigated for hacking Gordon Browns phone, voicemail and gaining access to his medical records!

What am I going to use to line the cats litter tray?

AlexWignall:
I admire your optimisim Switch, but I think NI will weather this storm. Even so, can you imagine the atmosphere in Murdochs flat when he flew in this weekend?

I notice that Radio 4 have been leading the news with the Royal Protection Officer who sold his green book.

I’ve heard the BskyB takeover has gone to the Office of Fair Trading so that’ll be Rebekahs P45 in the post then?

W

I’ve no doubt they’ll survive in a much diminished form but their days of calling the shots in this country just ended.

What I don’t get is how the police don’t seem to be taking any flack yet they seem to have been taking bribes left right and center. If NI goes down then the MET should go with it.

knight:
What I don’t get is how the police don’t seem to be taking any flack yet they seem to have been taking bribes left right and center. If NI goes down then the MET should go with it.

You mean the corrupt, self serving careerists who worked for ‘The News of the World’ and would do anything for a fast buck?

Thats the Met not the Journos…

W

Wheel Nut:
Surprise Surprise. The Sunday Times are now being investigated for hacking Gordon Browns phone and gaining access to his medical records!

But it was’nt worth printing what they found because every one already knew that MP’s are all intellectually challenged.It’s just that they’ve got a good union when they need to negotiate a decent wage and pension package. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

bald bloke:
If phones of famous footballers, celebrities, politicians have been hacked into although still not right a lot of the public wouldn’t have a lot of sympathy for them but hacking into relatives of deceased servicemen or other victims of crimes is unbelieveably disgusting.

4000 hacks so far uncovered

When I was a lad the term Hack meant a scruffily dressed reporter with a red nose and thinning hair who covered garden fetes and local events for beer money :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve read the Oxford mail then :laughing:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
Surprise Surprise. The Sunday Times are now being investigated for hacking Gordon Browns phone and gaining access to his medical records!

But it was’nt worth printing what they found because every one already knew that MP’s are all intellectually challenged.It’s just that they’ve got a good union when they need to negotiate a decent wage and pension package. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Couldn’t give a ■■■■ about what they found out about labour but wrong to get the info on his kid.
I wasn’t a fan of brown but admired his dignity in the way he and his wife coped with losing there daughter and how he didn’t seem to thrust his two sons in to the spotlight unlike the blairs.

kr79:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Couldn’t give a ■■■■ about what they found out about labour but wrong to get the info on his kid.
I wasn’t a fan of brown but admired his dignity in the way he and his wife coped with losing there daughter and how he didn’t seem to thrust his two sons in to the spotlight unlike the blairs.

The thing is that these unfeeling plebs have attacked or interfered in the private lives of the families of both prime ministers, with the deaths of Gordon Browns child and also David Camerons son, although it is national news, a simple caring announcement such as would be seen every day in the Derby Telegraph when a family loses someone is what was needed. But as normal it is mixed with political point scoring.

kr79:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

The thing is that these unfeeling plebs have attacked or interfered in the private lives of the families of both prime ministers, with the death of Gordon Browns child and also David Camerons son, although it is national news, a simple caring announcement such as would be seen every day in the Derby Telegraph when a family loses someone is what was needed. But as normal it is mixed with political point scoring.

I couldn’t agree more with that.
I realise it’s a journalists job to probe and ask questions and can agree with them getting information that hasn’t come from a strictly legitimate source if it’s in public intrest. A good example would be the telegraphs expenses files but the hacking of the dowlers and others like that and browns sons health records is sickening.