Newly qualified driver C+E and cant get work!

samledger1212:
Yes I understand they need to see my licence that’s why I’m waiting till it comes before I go see people it’s just every job I see they want 2 years experience and so do most of the agencies but I won’t be beat I’ll find something

Did a shift at heron on class 2 never again would I do that awful job but the lorry brakes didn’t hardly work was like a skip on wheels but it was the brakes that did it for me absolutely shocking

Thats why I said I wouldn’t go there myself…

I no pal never again I still can’t belive how bad them brakes was they was virtualy non existent if the truck was painted yellow I think transwaste would of took it away

samledger1212:
I no pal never again I still can’t belive how bad them brakes was they was virtualy non existent if the truck was painted yellow I think transwaste would of took it away

Im trying not to remember that company haha

Don’t try Nisa they have good trucks and pay well because the job is as bad as Heron and you no what that’s like

mac12:
Don’t try Nisa they have good trucks and pay well because the job is as bad as Heron and you no what that’s like

I disagree,it’s been my one and only job in 10 years of driving from class 2 to class 1…you get paid well because you earn it is that something to shy away from■■?
Guy left heron because the wagons,you’ll struggle to find one more than 4 years old on Nisa so I agree with you on that point but it’s a good place for anyone to start and even stay!

You may of been there 10 years but how many other drivers have left in that time? For me if im a driver thats what i do forget working.

mac12:
You may of been there 10 years but how many other drivers have left in that time? For me if im a driver thats what i do forget working.

If your happy that’s fair enough,although I too am “a driver” I also enjoy a bit of manual work to keep me fit ect ect.

I am going to add another angle to this thread. We are able to place the majority of our passes that need it. We find that companies that “Self Insure” are more relaxed regarding age, experience etc.

These are the larger companies , ie Aldi, Brakes, COOP etc The agency requirement for 2 years is generally because they offer their customers Driver Negligence insurance. Every DN policy I have looked at insist on 2 years holding the vehicle category as well as a specified number of shifts worked. Usually around 180.

If you’re in hull and willing to get your ADR in tanks, ISO Tanks WILL give you a job and so will Freightways. Samskip, the last time I was there, had loads of driver adverts up.

Ye I’m going to do my adr but need to earn some cash first just spent nearly 3k all ready I’ve got an assessment drive on Tues for bond tyres in Pocklington class 1 so fingers crossed

samledger1212:
Ye I’m going to do my adr but need to earn some cash first just spent nearly 3k all ready I’ve got an assessment drive on Tues for bond tyres in Pocklington class 1 so fingers crossed

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Cheers pal

Get yourself over to the southbank and go to Immingham Transport or Exceed Logistics / BenHaul (2 firms one yard, same boss)…they are both getting bigger every month and need drivers all the time. The pay won’t be top end, the hours will be pretty much max.

The work is Containers and Ferry Trailers out of Immingham for the big shipping lines and it’s good experience pulling different loads and going to different places evryday and testing your reversing skills etc… you don’t have to do it forever but in my experience it beats supermarket work hands down. Depends what you’re looking for.

I can confidently say though if you ring them up or pop in for a chat (and you don’t look and act like you’re brain dead) they might just give you a shot. What have you got to lose??

I’m sure there must be companies in Hull at this end of the market who will also give you a shot. Just get out from behind you’re computer screen and go and chat to them. Emails are easily deleted but harder to say no face to face!!

Good luck mate

ADR Network take on new Class 1 drivers.

if any newly qualified drivers need work let me know. I have a contact I can give you that will take brand new drivers.

NewbieNeil:
Get yourself over to the southbank and go to Immingham Transport or Exceed Logistics / BenHaul (2 firms one yard, same boss)…they are both getting bigger every month and need drivers all the time. The pay won’t be top end, the hours will be pretty much max.

The work is Containers and Ferry Trailers out of Immingham for the big shipping lines and it’s good experience pulling different loads and going to different places evryday and testing your reversing skills etc… you don’t have to do it forever but in my experience it beats supermarket work hands down. Depends what you’re looking for.

I can confidently say though if you ring them up or pop in for a chat (and you don’t look and act like you’re brain dead) they might just give you a shot. What have you got to lose??

I’m sure there must be companies in Hull at this end of the market who will also give you a shot. Just get out from behind you’re computer screen and go and chat to them. Emails are easily deleted but harder to say no face to face!!

Good luck mate

Listen to this man, he got me my job.

I will do thanks for the heads up I’ll see what the score is on Tuesday then go from there

Radar19:
Listen to this man, he got me my job.

Radar you got the job yourself mate…I just told you they were taking on and I had done some agency work for them.

When is your next attempt at Class 1? It took me 2 goes…it’s character building!!! Good luck mate.

I passed my cat c in june 2015 couldnt get a job so in the end i done my c+e 2nd october 2015 and finally got a job last week driving a 44ton artic start in january so can be done .Its just so frustrating when you hear there is a shortage in drivers but not many companies willing to give a newbie with no experience a chance i had so many knock backs. The only advise i can give is start looking at the the jobs that dont pay so good go there till you got some experience behind you .

Someone mentioned earlier that the experience requirement could be something to do with insurance, and I imagine it is. A fellow I know is a hay and straw merchant, with 3 or 4 drawbars, and he was going to put one of his young lad’s through his C and C+E, but he said that because he was under 25, his insurance would go up. Paying for the lad’s training, and then having to take an insurance increase put him off the idea.

I agree that it’s frustrating when all the “experts” talk of a “driver shortage”, and then firms are knocking-back new drivers, who would put their heart and soul into the job. It seems to me like a lot of companies are trying to snarl the ever decreasing number of experienced drivers, with no thought as to how these will be replaced when they come to move-on, or retire. Naturally, there are firms out there willing to give new drivers a chance, but with the £3,00 cost for the licenses, and then with the minimum experience rhetoric, I can’t see the driver shortage improving.