Newly qualified driver C+E and cant get work!

recently qualified as a C+E HGV driver fullfilling a long time life goal, spent £3500 on quality training, 30 years driving experience from Motor bikes to 7.5 tons! Driver shortage■■? all i see is must have min 1 years experience. How on earth do you get this experience if you cant get a job or at least a chance. The amount of tests and training to get this far and i just keep hitting a brick wall. have no idea what im doing wrong. all the agencys are no help at all. anyone got any ideas please■■?

You have a DM

I’m in the same boat so fustrating all I keep getting is knock back after knock back need a minimum of a 2 years to a year but I don’t no how you get it If no one will even give you a chance

If you can give a rough location in the country, that would help as there are companies who’ll give newbies a chance but they’re scattered around the UK.

It’s not impossible. It can be done. I have.

I must be a similar age, with driving cars and vans for over 30 years. Worked as a storeman and fork lift driver on a night shift for over a decade, and needed a change from the often backbreaking job of handballing boxes all day, and incompetent management.
I spent a year looking at job ads to see what would pay at least as much as I was on, often better, and I would like to do. Eventually deciding on HGV driver. Then spending a year going all the way up to getting my Class 1 licence. I live in a modest seaside town of about 30,000 people, with a few small towns around within a half hour’s drive.

Yet, within six weeks of passing my Class 1, I’ve landed a job driving Class 1. Six axle 44 ton capacity trucks, often hauling loads within half a ton of that too.
Despite that, it’s not a great job. It’s definitely at the more unglamorous end of trucking (no illuminated signs, festooned with running lights, or tassels on curtains there). But it’s a start. I’m working for a farm, mainly hauling potatoes. It’s long days. Cold, muddy, mucky, filthy work most of the time. And don’t even ask about the toilet and canteen facilities. I’ve even ended up without a truck to drive, or anything else to do for an hour and a half, so asked to help on the line, grading potatoes as they whizz by on a conveyer. I imagine most people would tell them to stick the job. But they’ve given a newbie like me a go. They took on another, in his twenties, a few months back, and he’s working out ok, so I think based on that they decided to give me a go. Plus they needed a night driver, and I love working nights.
Currently I’m on days, learning the ropes, and once they’re confident in me, will put me on permanent nights. And it’s a 20 minute drive from my doorstep to work.

I had noticed them advertise several times in the past couple of years, especially for nights. Agencies ran ads for drivers for them too. That does start the alarm bells ringing. And I’ve heard that some drivers left after days, or didn’t even bother turning up. And after two weeks of doing the job, I can see why. I’m having second thoughts, mainly due to the bloke who runs it day to day. But the Transport Manager (and driver) is a good bloke, with over 30 years HGV driving behind him, and determined to do things right. He acts as a buffer, explains problems, and smooths things out between the drivers and the people running the farm. And the other two drivers (making four of us in total), say he’s not all that bad. Bark worse than his bite, etc.

And it’s not the only job that’s come my way. A couple of weeks before I went for an interview and test drive. Class 2, moving on to Class 1 in the future. But it was going to be days, long days, early starts, about three nights out a week, and often a requirement to work Saturdays. I was worried about how safe it would be to suddenly change from nights to days and do that. I was worried I wasn’t going to be safe to do that. Good bloke, good job, good money (over 30K pa), and willing to give a newbie a try. Now I’ve been doing days for a couple of weeks, I think I may have been able to do it. However, the Saturday working cuts in to time I get to spend with my daughter (it’s the day I usually have her). Maybe when she’s grown up, and with a little more experience, it may be the ideal job.
I also signed up with an agency I’d heard good things about. They came up with a job about a half hour drive away. An interesting job. Wagon and drag, with demountable body. Spending two weeks maxing out hours delivering up and down the country, then doing stores work (load, unload, and other duties) on normal hours for two weeks. In a rota with another driver. I can see many drivers wouldn’t go for it, as they wouldn’t like the stores element. But coming from a stores background it seems ideal. And gives two weeks of normal life inbetween the driving. The agency called me back about it just after I’d said yes to my current job. And have called me back since, trying to persuade me about it. It would definitely be a cleaner and warmer job. It’s even close to where my daughter lives. I’m due to return a call to them, and still considering it. Just unsure about how that will look on my CV (job hopping), and would mean I’d be unlikely to get a job back with the current company if I snub them like that (as said, they are virtually on my doorstep, and potential source of work in the long term future if I’m between jobs).

My current thinking is to give the agency a call (it’s at least a polite courtesy, and keeps on good terms too, showing a level of professionalism). Maybe go for an interview about the job they have.
But I’m thinking of sticking with the current job for a few years, driving 44 ton artics, will count for a lot in the long term for other employers. In about three to three and a half years time, when a lot of people’s CPC’s are running out, and they’re quitting, there could be a real shortage (not just the current shortage for good experienced drivers), and I may be able to have a pick of work available.
Tough one. Tough call.

The way I’d started to get call backs was to prepare a well laid out CV on one piece of paper. Then write a cover letter, adapting each one to various companies. Then either physically going to them, sometimes getting a brief chat with someone in HR or the Transport Manager. Or posting the letter and CV to them. Also enclosing business cards I’d had made up (250 from Vistaprint isn’t that expensive). Putting some time and effort in. Maybe I just got lucky. But I think it paid off for me.

So, no, the driver shortage isn’t what it’s made out to be. It’s for good, experienced, drivers. But the 2 years experience requirement is dropping slowly. Some now say a year. Some even as low as three months Class 1 experience. And some are happy if you’ve had a year or so of Class 2 (even 7.5 ton for that matter). And some are willing to take on a complete newbie. But you may have to compromise on money, lifestyle, or type of work (don’t compromise on two or more of those - my compromise is the type of work).

So, it can be done. Keep the faith. You will get there if you get out there.

I’m in hull

Hull.
Then you’re in with a good chance. But then, so is everybody else in and around Hull.
I’d started to get the giving up feeling after a month of searching after passing my Class 1. I was thinking I would have to travel as far as Hull or York every day to find work. Which would mean a huge amount of my wage disappearing in fuel and transport costs to and from work, barely making it worthwhile. But I said if it was the right job for the right people, willing to give a newbie a break, I’d be prepared to do it for two or three years if necessary.
And I have seen work advertised, willing to take on a newbie, in and around Hull. They do exist.

After a month of searching on my own, I decided (despite reservations, due to stories about them) to sign up with agencies.
I signed up with Best Connection (Posterngate, near the indoor market and church). You probably have already. But out of them all, their name kept coming up from other drivers who seemed to think they were decent.

Now, the thing is, how to get those companies interested in you. Good CV, covering letter, business cards, wear a suit (cheap ones in charity shops, so you don’t have to worry about making a mess of it if you have to go for a test drive). Draw up a list of transport companies, or companies that have their own trucks. Especially those who have both Class 1 & 2, where you may get in on Class 2, and once proven get on to Class 1 (or even be asked to drive an artic if they’re desperate one day, and before you know it, you’re a Class 1 driver). Don’t just think of transport and logistics companies. Remember, I work for a farm.
Take a drive around Hull’s numerous industrial estates at the weekend, when trucks are often parked up (you don’t see them during the week). Drop by with that CV and letter. You never know, they may have a driver coming up for retirement, or walk out that week.
Get out there. Meet and greet. Press some flesh (handshakes, I mean). Don’t just sit there hoping to find a job, or that an agency will find one for you. Be pro-active, and - get out there.

samledger1212:
I’m in hull

Can you go visit all the companies in your area as sure there is a few on the industrial est don’t alway look at the haulage companies some that have lorries that deliver there own stuff

Have registerd with prestiage jark and sure Staffing I will be going to all the others next week and around all the yards when my licence comes back from dvla it got updated online today so should have my licence back Tuesday I’m not to disshartend yet I only past class 2 on 29th of oct and class 1 27th of Nov I’ve applied for a lot of jobs so hopefully some one will take me on

It can be done. I did it. I replied to a job advert for Canute. The advert stated ’ less than 12 months experience considered '.

I reckoned that 0 days experience was indeed, less than 1 year. Straight over to the TM, dressed smartly and armed with a pleasant and respectful demeanour. " I am looking for someone to take a chance on me, and I will work hard and not let them down ".

Started on 44 tonne Scania curtainsiders the following Monday. 6 months later, I answered an advert for Stobart’s.

Been there for the last 5 months. Moral of the tale is this…find out WHO WILL take on new passes. No point in wasting time, money and effort on employers who cant/wont give new passes a chance.

Get on the phone to as many agencies in your area and ask them if they have any clients who will give newbies a chance.

Then be a cheeky bar steward, and go and approach the company direct. I have given you all a heads up with two companies for a start!!

As the guy above says, stobarts do take new driver’s on so if depot near you give them a call.

If you can’t find a job in Hull, theres plenty over in Immingham, hell our place is looking for Class 1 drivers, might take on a newbie too!

Cheers folks I’m going to start calling and visit places tomoz spoke to a few agencies but they want to see my licence first but that should be here tomoz or Tues cant wait to get off and running really can’t

samledger1212:
… they want to see my licence first …

Your time WILL come mate, but surely you can’t be surprised that a prospective employer wants to see your licence even if it hasn’t come back yet. :smiley:

From the employer’s point of view, they really do need to check that you’re correctly licenced for the vehicle they want you to drive, because an unlicenced driver can’t be covered by insurance.

Good luck in your efforts. :smiley:

Herons take on new drivers mate but I wouldn’t go there myself personally… Depends on how desperate you are?? Try small local firms I only had my class one a few weeks and I landed a mega job!

If you need any advice give us a PM pal

First thing in the mornings especially Mondays go to local employers with all your gear in the boot of your car then see what happens

What about Nisa Scunthorpe,granted it’ll cost you to use the bridge every day but they pay well 35k I belive and it’s a start.

Yes I understand they need to see my licence that’s why I’m waiting till it comes before I go see people it’s just every job I see they want 2 years experience and so do most of the agencies but I won’t be beat I’ll find something

Did a shift at heron on class 2 never again would I do that awful job but the lorry brakes didn’t hardly work was like a skip on wheels but it was the brakes that did it for me absolutely shocking

I’ll look into thanks don’t mind travelling I’ve applied for about 15 jobs on Friday so will see what happens

Are any new trucks been made with Eaton fuller manuals got a good idea how they work but will be a bit nervous to drive one for the first time if I come across one