Newbies advice is it any good

I’ve just responded to a newbie on another thread, who asked for advice on an inverter by giving him a full blown lecture on how to run his life. :unamused: :laughing:
Only on this forum eh? :smiley:

I know it is stating the bleeding obvious here, but I do think this is a good facility to pass experience on to new guys.

I just wish something like this was around when I started. Advice at your fingertips, click of a button, and especially after reading some newbie’s comments about some pricks refusing when asked to watch them while reversing etc, accompanied by a smart arsed answer :unamused: how tf did those guys learn stuff when they started. :unamused: and is this what the job has come to when a young lad can not ask for help without getting verbals.

To the guys who have just started in last couple of years, how have you found some of the advice on here, (and do you still get it down the road while away tramping as I did once…ooer Mrs :smiley: )

Was it invaluable, bloody useless or somewhere in between, and what specifics if any, in terms of techniques or ideas did you learn purely by reading this forum.
Also do you find many exp drivers still willing to help.

I always try to help newbies if I can, both out on the road and on here, but I soon lose interest if they take no notice, as one on here displayed the other day, who continued down the job/endurance test route, despite many pointing out how bloody stupid he was being.
So apart from the obligatory ‘’ which sat nav do I use’’ cack :unamused: How was it for you…(darling. :smiley: )

Reversing was my issue, and still room for improvement, but not smashed into any units out so far so despite sometimes having to take a few shunts (and getting out a few times on occasion to double check) that doesn’t concern me. Your advice about the wide arc helped. :laughing: Its odd how many drivers chance it with the blindside of their trailer by jacking it in when they don’t need to. I’ve found most other drivers really helpful, and don’t hesitate to help others if they’re struggling to back in. Not sure if it was you who said it but I’ve also found the foreign drivers the most courteous and helpful. Was somewhere where a Romanian was really struggling, I goes over to help him and an English driver says let the useless ■■■■■ struggle. I said no I’m gonna help him. Got a can of beer for my trouble. One of the many good tips I got was concentrate on where your trailer wheels are going not the back of the trailer.

I started driving 4 years ago, I can say without a doubt I wouldn’t be in the same position I am now if it wasn’t for this forum, everything along the way has been vital, how testing works, how to get your foot in the door and on the job advice. You get a few unhelpful people who think the world owes them a favour but they are definitely in the minority so I just ignore them and carry on. As a result I help anyone while out and about if they want it :slight_smile:

robroy:
I know it is stating the bleeding obvious here, but I do think this is a good facility to pass experience on to new guys.

I just wish something like this was around when I started. Advice at your fingertips, click of a button, and especially after reading some newbie’s comments about some pricks refusing when asked to watch them while reversing etc, accompanied by a smart arsed answer :unamused: how tf did those guys learn stuff when they started. :unamused: and is this what the job has come to when a young lad can not ask for help without getting verbals.

I gave my lad tons of advice before and when he got started, the little things like strapping your curtain back when you’re unloading when its windy so the pole doesn’t smack you in the face or the curtain end up on the roof and again when its windy try to point the cab or the rear in the direction of the wind so you can get the curtains open. And of course over the years he’d been out with me from time to time as well.

He came to visit this week and has been training a bloke 10 years his senior who just passed his test to do his job as he is going tramping and was bleating on about how useless he was and he didn’t know anything, even how to open rear doors. My lad has only been driving 4 months himself and I pointed out that maybe this bloke didn’t know anyone who drove lorries so didn’t benefit from the advice and experience that he had received over the years from me. He had a think about it, said I had a point so I think this week’s training will go differently than last weeks.

Whenever I’ve seen someone clearly struggling or doing things the hard way I’ve gone to help, showed them how to do it, explained why you do it that way. I’ve yet to have someone who has told me to sod off.

I came to haulage later in life and have absolutely no knowledge of the industry whatsoever. Having access to a bunch of folk who have experience and are willing to take the time to share it is invaluable.

I’ve learned huge amounts from these forums, as well as gaining some confidence that I’m probably not the country’s worst trucker. Learning from other people’s mistakes when they are honest enough to share is a much better solution than making the same mistakes myself. Though in fairness I’ve made a few anyway, but I’ve posted details in the hope others might avoid the same problems.

Trucking is a lonely business, and it is rare to have any opportunity to learn from another trucker. I’ve been making the most of these forums for a few years now, and still picking up handy hints and tips all over the place.

I’m grateful to everyone who contributes good information, positive and honest views.

robroy:
To the guys who have just started in last couple of years, how have you found some of the advice on here

I started 8yrs ago and have picked up loads from here, tbh most of it probably tacho related as sad as that sounds as before you just figure out the minimum to get by but it becomes more useful on tramping when you planning a couple of days work at a time.

I get help/advise from guys at work that have done it for longer and I do my bit to help the new guys as I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ who pretends to know it all but doesn’t help.

I have noticed where I work now even guys nearly twice my age but are new starters have no issue asking for help from me when in other jobs people base experience/skill on age.

EDIT: The old boys are the business when it comes to recommending cafes and parking :wink:

Of course it’s been helpful Robroy, you even said something useful once, although it couldn’t have been that great as I can’t remember what it was! :grimacing:

The forum has and is an invaluable asset to those starting out, it’s spectrum of assistance to Newbies in all types of questions is trememdous. We’re lucky enough to have not 1 but 2 Tachograph/Regs experts. An ADR expert, a Doctor I believe, all asisting people with FACTS and not fiction.

And then we have the likes of you! :wink:

I’d suggest were Newbies and Experienced drivers conflict, is in a minority of older drivers not remembering they were a Newbie once, and that can lead to some Newbie questions getting a bit of flack. How that Newbie reacts however can be amusing, and a good test of whether they are worth the assistance, so is it all wrong? :confused:

I’m sure all the regular contributors would like a Newbie with initiative say: I’ve done a search but couldn’t find the answer, so…
Not; Can you spoon feed me please?

Which isn’t an unfair request, but the line is blurred and when a Newbie does ask for advice, often a lot of sarcasm creeps in…
And at times I do believe it unfair on a Newbie!

Stifling their ability to ask dumb questions, as it’s better they get the RIGHT answers, than live in ignorance… :cry:

Evil8Beezle:
Of course it’s been helpful Robroy, you even said something useful once,

:open_mouth: Did I really? :open_mouth:
Christ I must be slipping. :smiley:
Btw…A Doctor ■■ I know that Carryfast is a Professor, but who is the Doc.?
Dozy by any chance ■■

To be fair “what’s the best sat nav?” should have a sticky with links to a Chinese one and a top of the range TomTom.

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

Dozy by any chance ■■

So you didn’t get the memo, or read this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143926

Who I think now exists: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=143526&p=2271221#p2271221

So DD is a bit behind with his admin… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

Dozy by any chance ■■

So you didn’t get the memo, or read this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143926

Who I think now exists: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=143526&p=2271221#p2271221

So DD is a bit behind with his admin… :wink:

Well I knew it wasn’t dozy really, but then for a moment I thought it could be Desypete in his self imposed ‘‘mysterious career change’’ that he took up, after leaving us ‘‘morons’’ to do our dcpc. :smiley:

mrginge:
To be fair “what’s the best sat nav?” should have a sticky with links to a Chinese one and a top of the range TomTom.

Yeh :unamused: …or they could just stop asking, …or is it just me that’s bored ■■■■ less with all that cack over and over (and over) again. :smiling_imp:

robroy:

mrginge:

Yeh :unamused: …or they could just stop asking, …or is it just me that’s bored [zb] less with all that cack over and over (and over) again. :smiling_imp:

Yet you still open the thread? :open_mouth:

But you’re not alone, and I do have a thread I just paste in i’m also that bored of the question… :unamused:

And leave dozy alone, I’m now feeling protective of him since TruckNet Lucy had a pop at him this week! :neutral_face:
How weird is that? :laughing:

robroy:

mrginge:

Yeh :unamused: …or they could just stop asking, …or is it just me that’s bored [zb] less with all that cack over and over (and over) again. :smiling_imp:

But. . .maybe only look at those threads when you are in market for a new one? Its a changing market: they are (allegedly) getting better and cheaper, so its not the same options all the time. And to say to MrGinge it`s easy to find the cheapest, and maybe the best too, but finding good value for money with reliability does probably rely on recommendation.

The Sat-Nav debate always ends in an argument of whether a real driver needs one, let alone a truck one! :laughing:

But for Newbies I see it like this:-

You need all the help you can!
You’ve enough on your plate to risk not getting a truck one!
Spend as much as you can afford, but it’s the hardware that improves, not the support…

The end! :smiley:

I have followed your advice over the last 3 years Rob.

As a result, please find the enclosed bill for uniform storage, and a replacement P45 printer for HMRC. :neutral_face:

I find the site invaluable for advice and tips etc. as many others do. It’s a real advantage to get more than one person’s opinion on an issue unlike years ago when you maybe only had one ‘experienced’ lag to ask and that could sometimes mean they are passing on their bad habits to you with the so called advice they gave you.

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

mrginge:

Yet you still open the thread? :open_mouth:

But you’re not alone, and I do have a thread I just paste in i’m also that bored of the question… :unamused:

And leave dozy alone, I’m now feeling protective of him since TruckNet Lucy had a pop at him this week! :neutral_face:
How weird is that? :laughing:

Just because I started a thread on newbie advice does not prevent me from being bored with the same old repetitive sat nav questions…I miss your point.
And I have never said that real drivers do not need one.
Whether I personally ‘need’ one is another argument, but I have one, and I am the Ultimate ‘‘real driver’’ :sunglasses: …that goes without saying.
(Joking btw :smiley: …oh sod it ! I aint :laughing: AND I can use a twin splitter, so I must be. :sunglasses: :laughing: :unamused:

Which thread did dozy get an ear bashing ?
I miss all the good bits on here. :cry:

eagerbeaver:

As a result, please find the enclosed bill for uniform storage, and a replacement P45 printer for HMRC. :neutral_face:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

Like it :laughing: