Newbie thinking of LGV training and career change

And that was the point I was making! The national pass rate is around 50%, so basically it will take ’ Mr/Mrs Average ’ 4 tests to achieve his/her class 1 licence. Add in to the mix your DCPC and then that will be the ’ average ’ cost for a newbie to gain class 1 and be ready to earn.

Don’t forget other newbies frequent this forum, and all I was pointing out Pete, that IMO your ’ costing ’ was potentially misleading for some newbies, as in " look I’ve just saved you £1000 ".

Yes, the national pass rate is around 50% so it makes sense to use a trainer like us with a pass rate closer to 75%. As our cpc is completely free of charge, that doesn’t need adding into the mix.

The last thing I would ever do is mislead anyone - quite the opposite. So let me make it clear:

CAT C 1350.00
CAT CE 1350.00
CPC 350.00 (actually 403.75 for 35 hours or 300.00 for Mods 2 and 4)
RETEST 270.00 (if you’re the 1 in 4 who might need one)
TOTAL 3320.00

Now make it more interesting! Take out the CPC cost (this is provided completely free of charge with a course) and then deduct 10% Trucknet user discount:

350.00 -
2970.00 less 10%

So £2673 includes C, CE with 1 retest assumed (hopefully incorrectly). If more than 70 miles away, free B+B accommodation for the duration of the practical training.

All our prices are on our website but just remember to deduct the Trucknet benefits which is the free cpc and 10% discount.

Remembering the fact that we have our own test centre, purpose built fleet of training vehicles (mix of manual or auto) and registered instructors it all adds up to a remarkably good deal.

The catch? Your deposit must be received before the end of February. Training can take place at any time in 2016.

Deposit paid later? No free cpc. Simple.

What vehicles do you have & do you allow people to come down to your training centre prior to booking? Don’t particularly want to commit to spending that kind of cash without meeting people (and knowing I can get my fat arse in the vehicles).

I’ve read about 1:1 vs 2:1 training, definitely prefer the sound of 1:1 although more intensive I guess.

Our CAT C vehicles have all been purchased brand new and are designed specifically for driver training. They drive as new, not surprisingly. They are Iveco (not the best truck on the road but ideal for this purpose). We have a 50/50 split of 8 speed manual or 2 pedal auto. Moving to CE, we have 3 options: drawbar - an Iveco with a trailer behind. This is available on manual or automatic. We also have a couple of MAN artics with full size curtainside tri-axle trailers. These vehicles are MAN and are auto.

Please feel free come and place your “fat arse” in any of the vehicles. No appointment needed - just turn up between 7 and 6 Monday to Friday. At the same time, you’ll meet the customer service team (who look after the whole process for you - start to finish) and maybe some of the trainers (clearly not the case if they are out at the time).

We have a fully equipped training centre with classroom facilities for cpc (where necessary) and garage services on site. Have have 2 reversing areas - both approved for conducting driving tests. This means you take the reversing part of your test on the concrete you’ve been trained on.

My preference has always been for 1:1 training and that is our standard training model.

If you hold on till you have your provisional, then book an assessment drive (refundable against a course booking) and that will give you an even better idea.

I do hope I’ve demonstrated that I am very open and straightforward. I never use clever wording or small print. The company has been built over the last 30+ years on honesty and integrity so forgive me being defensive.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I do hope I’ve demonstrated that I am very open and straightforward. I never use clever wording or small print. The company has been built over the last 30+ years on honesty and integrity so forgive me being defensive.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well you seem very upfront to me which I like, although I’m generally quite cynical as I do appreciate you have a business to promote as well :wink:

With the free CPC deposit before Feb 2016? Are you implying all courses are booked up for the year after Feb?

Have to wait for the DVLA to send me out the provisional license application form now and then get the medical bit completed too. Then I may be in touch to see if training is going to be viable option for me. I’d definitely be wanting to go down the route of an appraisal / trial drive before spending out that kind of money… I really need to see if I can physically fit and drive this type of vehicle (there are many cars I can’t), see how I like it, etc. Biggest vehicle I’ve driven before is a 3500kg hire box van so could be hopeless… :laughing:

CovGuy:
I really need to see if I can physically fit and drive this type of vehicle (there are many cars I can’t)

I get what you mean, as I find a lot of cars “uncomfortable…”
The only car I’ve ever had where the seat hasn’t been as far back as possible is my Audi. Sometimes I like the last click, sometimes the last but one. Maybe I have taller and shorter days! :laughing:
Back to trucks! I think you should be fine pal, as it’s only the MAN’s I driven that I’ve had any issue with, and that could be sorted with a booster seat! :laughing:

Well you seem very upfront to me which I like, although I’m generally quite cynical as I do appreciate you have a business to promote as well :wink:

Understand your thinking

With the free CPC deposit before Feb 2016? Are you implying all courses are booked up for the year after Feb?

No, not at all. Prices rise March 1st and the free cpc promotion ends 29th Feb. Anyone paying their £150 deposit before March 1st secures the current rates and the free cpc. The training can be taken at any mutually convenient time during 2016.

Have to wait for the DVLA to send me out the provisional license application form now and then get the medical bit completed too. Then I may be in touch to see if training is going to be viable option for me. I’d definitely be wanting to go down the route of an appraisal / trial drive before spending out that kind of money… I really need to see if I can physically fit and drive this type of vehicle (there are many cars I can’t), see how I like it, etc. Biggest vehicle I’ve driven before is a 3500kg hire box van so could be hopeless… :laughing:

When you’ve got your provisional, simply call the office 01623 620062 and arrange a trial drive. Even with the discounts, the amounts of money involved are significant so you do absolutely right to make sure you’re happy with your training provider.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cov guy. Like Beezle, I am a tall chap (6’ 4"). Scania’s are ok. MAN’s are ok. Mercs might be a challenge, axor’s and actros have to be on the last click for me with the seat rake quite far raked. Daf XF’s are fine. Volvo FH’s (new style) are fine, but the older style is a last click job. Never driven Iveco Stralis but had the misfortune to pilot class 2 Eurocargo’s and that’s a last click job too. Not driven any Renault tractor units.

Hope this may help you.

eagerbeaver:
Renault tractor units.

They are more than fine. They go higher than I need…
My only issue with with the MAN’s is seat height, so I have my hips higher than my knee’s…

I’m sure PaulNowak will chime in at some point, he must be 6’6" with a freshly washed mullet! :grimacing:
(Same height as Beaver normally! :wink:)

We’ve not discussed seat width, but have you seen the size of MOST truckers arse’s! :open_mouth:
(Not that i’m looking at em! :blush:)

Worst thing about the MAN is the seat height and wheel arrangement. To have the seat as high as I’d like, I have to lean the seat squab right back, with the seat at max height (which somehow drops a notch every time I stop) I have the wheel fully towards me, and at max height, but it’s still too close to my knees.

I have no issue with any seat, that being said, my Premium’s seat is getting a tad uncomfatabe.

Ok so are some of you lot going to give me a few inches please so I can be a bit taller would really like to make 5’ :laughing: :laughing:

animal:
Ok so are some of you lot going to give me a few inches please so I can be a bit taller would really like to make 5’ :laughing: :laughing:

You could always have a bunk up off me. Which is a much more polite comment than the one I originally started typing [emoji6]

" are some of you lot going to give me a few inches please "

Quote of 2016 so far Animal.

I really hope to bump into animal in person one of these days

I tI thought I saw you last week Paul but it was just a Co-op driver.

I’m ex-Co-op, but that was a long time before I’d ever sat in a truck.

eagerbeaver:
" are some of you lot going to give me a few inches please "

Quote of 2016 so far Animal.

LOL

PaulNowak:
I really hope to bump into animal in person one of these days

Really why :question: :open_mouth:

I’ll tell you face to face sometime. Naturally I’ll be sat down at the time.

PaulNowak:
I’ll tell you face to face sometime. Naturally I’ll be sat down at the time.

But I am the perfect hight :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well now you mention it, I’m sure you are.

Ooh blimey matron!!!

Madam, I think we should go for a drink sometime.

Just got my D2/D4 forms and I think completing the D2 properly should provide bonus credit towards the driving test! I just managed to complete 1 section I didn’t need to despite reading the guidance notes. What a PITA, these things must be designed to be confusing, I feel for anyone that is dyslexic or doesn’t have English as a first language. :imp:

My GP surgery charges £95 for the medical, does that sound about right?

[quote=“CovGuy”

My GP surgery charges £95 for the medical, does that sound about right?[/quote]
sound about right but if you look around you can get cheaper depends where in the country you are

My training provider down my original for £40