Newbie thinking of LGV training and career change

Hi,
I’m sure you get these kind of posts all the time so I will try and keep it short. I’m thinking of a career change and driving appeals. I’ve looked at various options and ruled out taxis, delivery van and buses due to the fact they combine all the worst aspects of driving and involve dealing with the general public all the time. I prefer my own company to be honest.

I have a few questions if anyone could answer I would be really grateful:
Most important one: I’m 6ft 6", long legs and with a build to go with it. Am I going to fit in the average cab?
I’m thinking of artic driving as rates seem better than fixed. I can be totally flexible about shifts and work patterns - wages seem to vary from £9 to £14 an hour?

I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info on this site and the license schemes seem a bit confusing. Am I correct in thinking I need to get cat C first and then do class 1 c+e, followed by Driver cpc before I can get a job?

Training looks like it could cost £3.5k total through someone like Peter Smythe, but I’ve noticed some companies like Eddie Stowbart offer in house training for less. Then there are various sites advertising to get you through in 1 week for various amounts from £1500 - £4000. Does anyone have opinions on these? I’m in the Coventry area but could travel within reason.

Any other thoughts or input would be great.
cheers

CovGuy:
Hi,
I’m sure you get these kind of posts all the time so I will try and keep it short. I’m thinking of a career change and driving appeals. I’ve looked at various options and ruled out taxis, delivery van and buses due to the fact they combine all the worst aspects of driving and involve dealing with the general public all the time. I prefer my own company to be honest.

Well if you are happy with your own company than that fits well, just be prepared to put up with a lot of rude & abrupt people in this game…

CovGuy:
I have a few questions if anyone could answer I would be really grateful:
Most important one: I’m 6ft 6", long legs and with a build to go with it. Am I going to fit in the average cab?

I’m 6’5" mate, and it doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue, although I’m a little unsure about your build.
I weigh just under 15 stone. How about you? :laughing:
I fit in most trucks without too much of an issue, although I’ve found that the seat MAN’s doesn’t go high enough for comfort…

CovGuy:
I’m thinking of artic driving as rates seem better than fixed. I can be totally flexible about shifts and work patterns - wages seem to vary from £9 to £14 an hour?

Expect to get the crap work and crap pay when you start out, so set your sights low and you won’t be disappointed! Also better paying jobs can be hard to find, and some that have been in the game decade are still looking for their lucky break into a good gig!

CovGuy:
I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info on this site and the license schemes seem a bit confusing. Am I correct in thinking I need to get cat C first and then do class 1 c+e, followed by Driver cpc before I can get a job?

All correct, although you can do your DCPC anytime, you just won’t be issued with it until passing Class C.

CovGuy:
Training looks like it could cost £3.5k total through someone like Peter Smythe, but I’ve noticed some companies like Eddie Stowbart offer in house training for less. Then there are various sites advertising to get you through in 1 week for various amounts from £1500 - £4000. Does anyone have opinions on these? I’m in the Coventry area but could travel within reason.

I’d say training to get Class 1 is about 3k as long as you don’t include the possibilities of retests. Cheaper isn’t always better, and I went with PSTT and would do again…

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Evil has covered everything but the only thing id say is don’t go through a broker always go direct with training company were I did my traing this guy failed and the broker charged him £900 for a retest and the company who does the training had to sign a contract with broker that they wasnt aloud to offer him the retest direct through them which would of cost £300

Nearest provider that I would recommend is DATA academy leicester near M1/M69 junction

Evil8Beezle:
Well if you are happy with your own company than that fits well, just be prepared to put up with a lot of rude & abrupt people in this game…

I’m 6’5" mate, and it doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue, although I’m a little unsure about your build.
I weigh just under 15 stone. How about you? :laughing:
I fit in most trucks without too much of an issue, although I’ve found that the seat MAN’s doesn’t go high enough for comfort…

Expect to get the crap work and crap pay when you start out, so set your sights low and you won’t be disappointed! Also better paying jobs can be hard to find, and some that have been in the game decade are still looking for their lucky break into a good gig!

Approx 19 stone, so bit overweight but not huge considering the height. Sorry what is the seat MANs?

Unfortunately there are rude and abrupt people everywhere, the thing that appeals about driving is you don’t have to deal with them non-stop 8 hours a day like you do in a customer service or retail role.

When you say crap work at the start, can you elaborate? Are you talking about multi-drop stuff in crap locations or just lots of weekend and night shifts or…?

Of course the other concern is passing the tests. I passed my driving test 10+ years ago first time after 3 formal lessons and I think I’m a decent driver (but who doesn’t…) but I’m sure I have bad habits. I suppose a decent place to start would be getting the theory test books and brushing up on the highway code.

Also what are the options like for going self-employed or even owner-driver in the long run?

I don’t mind investing the money in training as long as there is a realistic prospect of passing AND finding work afterwards. Issue is there are loads of companies online promising to train you up for X or Y career (not just LGV) for only £xxxx… hard to know which ones are a realistic possibility. The job market is so competitive these days it seems like everyone is rushing to work for nothing.

If you need to do initial driver cpc the you can book to do all three theory tests 1a, 1b & 2 on the same day

Do not be put off if they say the tests are booked well apart on the same day as they usually invite you to do the tests one after the other when you get there

MAN is a type of lorry

Go direct to the company not a broker as they will charge more & send you to where they want to for you to find it would have been cheaper going direct in 1st place

There is work out there but you have to be prepared to look for it

The crap or not so good work could mean tipper / skip / multi drop but then you might find you like some of them

You will need to do medical then provisional ( my training provider done all of this for me ) as well as theory & HPT ( even if done for car have to be done again as need for each new licence

Phone up a company go speak to them in person have a look round see what vehicles they have use if you want to spend that amount of your money with them if it was me I would have a look at at least 3 before making mind up

BTW you have a bit more weight than me ( nearly 3 times my weight ) although 1 of the lads I work with is prob taller than you about the same weight ish & he manages ok

Sorry tubby! :wink: MAN is a brand/make of truck pal. (And I meant to say “seat in a MAN” :blush:)

By crap work I mean low paid, as well as nasty multi-drop work where you are dragging heavy cages over kerbs into shops for rude staff to treat you like dirt. But a Newbie can’t pick and choose, and has to pick up the slack that more experienced drivers don’t want to do for one reason or another. Class 2 (Class C) work is generally more physical than Class 1 (Class C+E), as it’s normally to smaller premises that don’t have forklifts, and everything either comes off via a cage, a pallet truck or good old handballing…
Weekend and Night work is normally paid extra, and that extra dictates whether it’s less desirable or not, so again, as a Newbie expect the ■■■■■■ end of the stick to start with, it’s probably the only end on offer! :laughing:

Passing all the tests is easy enough, just look for ROG’s hints and tips at the top of this forum (or in his signature). As well as looking back over past threads in this forum, as the same questions roll over again and again…

Probably the biggest issue to any Newbie after passing their Class 1 is getting a start, as most job and employers are not keen on sending out an untested Newbie with an Artic. Sadly it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation, as you can’t get experience unless someone gives you a shot…
It’s a lot easier getting a start on Class 2, as these jobs are harder for employers to fill long term, & I’d suggest you (or anyone) consider getting a start at a firm that runs both classes. That way once you’ve proved yourself on Class 2, you’ll have a good shot at getting onto Class 1. That’s how I did it, and I’m only a limper! :grimacing: (Slang for agency employee mate!)

Yes the job market is competitive, and there are plenty of firms offering the same money as stacking shelves in a supermarket, and the way drivers make up the money is doing more hours. You will find some drivers doing 70 hours a week, although a lot of that is waiting time, it’s still time you’re not at home with your family. So before you jump, check out what firms are offering around you, as rates also depend on where you are in the country…

Finally ensure you know the difference between PAYE, Self-employed & Umbrella when comparing rates…

Anymore questions ask away, plenty of people here to help.
I’m more interested in acting a bellend, but chip in from time to time! :grimacing:

Training looks like it could cost £3.5k total through someone like Peter Smythe

Just need to set the record straight with this one!! Trucknet users pay just £1215 for C, same again for CE - total of £2430. This is fully inclusive of 1:1 training, VAT, test fee, vehicle for test and free b+b. On top of that, cpc is completely free of charge. So I’ve just saved you £1,000!

I don’t think you’ll do any better anywhere in the UK.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So if your candidate fails a test Pete, are you saying that you will pay the DSA test fee for their next test, and lend them a truck for a few hours FOC?

So if your candidate fails a test Pete, are you saying that you will pay the DSA test fee for their next test, and lend them a truck for a few hours FOC?

No. Where did that come from??

I’m very upfront with costs as this is where many folks come unstuck. A retest is £270 less the 10% Trucknet discount. So £243. This includes vehicle for test, VAT and test fee.

Any additional training is on a BOGOF basis. In other words, half price.

I firmly believe it’s right and proper to make a profit from anyone taking a course. But if it then goes wrong I don’t feel the need to keep “milking”. In fact, we loose money on every hour that is taken on the BOGOF. It’s surely vital to get the result at that point so profit is irrelevant.

Peter Smythe:

Training looks like it could cost £3.5k total through someone like Peter Smythe

Just need to set the record straight with this one!! Trucknet users pay just £1215 for C, same again for CE - total of £2430. This is fully inclusive of 1:1 training, VAT, test fee, vehicle for test and free b+b. On top of that, cpc is completely free of charge. So I’ve just saved you £1,000!

to be fair my figures were factoring in a chance of a retest, travel costs, etc… basically the total cost likely to me.
What vehicles do you have & do you allow people to come down to your training centre prior to booking? Don’t particularly want to commit to spending that kind of cash without meeting people (and knowing I can get my fat arse in the vehicles).

I’ve read about 1:1 vs 2:1 training, definitely prefer the sound of 1:1 although more intensive I guess.

There are lots of people on here who have gone with PSTT, that in itself speaks volumes but I think any trainer who posts on here has faith in their training school. Peter and the other trainers that post on here are passionate about dragging up the trainer standards with their own methods of deliverying training that is both benifical to the trainer, the public and the trainee.

Best thing you can do, is get your licences on done then go for a “trial” drive with some schools in your local area then maybe some further afield. Its all about making sure you are confident with your instructor and the truck.

And that was the point I was making! The national pass rate is around 50%, so basically it will take ’ Mr/Mrs Average ’ 4 tests to achieve his/her class 1 licence. Add in to the mix your DCPC and then that will be the ’ average ’ cost for a newbie to gain class 1 and be ready to earn.

Don’t forget other newbies frequent this forum, and all I was pointing out Pete, that IMO your ’ costing ’ was potentially misleading for some newbies, as in " look I’ve just saved you £1000 ".

eagerbeaver:
And that was the point I was making! The national pass rate is around 50%, so basically it will take ’ Mr/Mrs Average ’ 4 tests to achieve his/her class 1 licence. Add in to the mix your DCPC and then that will be the ’ average ’ cost for a newbie to gain class 1 and be ready to earn.

Don’t forget other newbies frequent this forum, and all I was pointing out Pete, that IMO your ’ costing ’ was potentially misleading for some newbies, as in " look I’ve just saved you £1000 ".

A lot of hypotheticals there. What happens when you get some like Evil who passed first time whereas someone like myself is going back for his 3rd attempt at the class 1.

Radar19:
There are lots of people on here who have gone with PSTT, that in itself speaks volumes but I think any trainer who posts on here has faith in their training school. Peter and the other trainers that post on here are passionate about dragging up the trainer standards with their own methods of deliverying training that is both benifical to the trainer, the public and the trainee.

Best thing you can do, is get your licences on done then go for a “trial” drive with some schools in your local area then maybe some further afield. Its all about making sure you are confident with your instructor and the truck.

Completely agree, and in the second paragraph I think Radar is saying get your provisional! :smiley:

Radar19:

I’ve ordered the D2 form from the DVLA. Have to say I find the info and websites on this quite confusing. Looks like I need a medical to apply for the provisional license as well which is a PITA.

Should I expect to pay for a trial drive as well? I assume the trial drive gives reputable instructors a chance to weed out any totally hopeless cases !

Most places will not charge you for an assessment drive. It is their opportunity to check out where you are at in terms of deciding how much training in their experience would suit you.

CovGuy:

Radar19:

I’ve ordered the D2 form from the DVLA. Have to say I find the info and websites on this quite confusing. Looks like I need a medical to apply for the provisional license as well which is a PITA.

Should I expect to pay for a trial drive as well? I assume the trial drive gives reputable instructors a chance to weed out any totally hopeless cases !

Some do charge but its not normally that much. I know PSTT will knock the cost of the trial drive off the price you’ll pay for the course.

Peter Smythe:

Beg to differ :smiley:

Obviously I can’t quote prices on this Peter Smythe dot net due to the risk of breaching advertising rules which has previously been made clear by the admin team.

Paul