Newbie tachograph question

Hi first off like to say great forum have found some good info on here, new to the game ok on driving, still not 100% with the ins and outs of tachographs,

would the following scenarios be legal.?

2.5 hours driving time
15 min break
1 hour other work
2 hours driving
30 min break

30 min driving time
15min break
4 hours driving time
30min break

4hours driving time
15 min break
30 driving time
30 min break

also is there a certain time i must be driving before i can take a taco break??
or could i clock a break straight away?

eg. 15mins break
4.5 hours driving
30 min break
or is the break always after the driving?

Any help or replys at all much appreciated from all you guys more accustomed to the tachos and the likes,
FlyinTDI

All of the top 3 are legal, unless I’ve had too much gin and misread them!

Remember when splitting breaks that it has to be a 15 followed by a 30, not the other way around.

With regards to your bottom example I believe but could be wrong you would need at least 1 minute of other work showing before starting a break.

They all should start with crossed hammers other work for 15mins to show you’ve done daily checks :wink:

The first 3 examples are fine, you’ve always had the breaks in the right order and on time.

You cannot have a driving break until you’ve done some driving so the last example would not be legal, it would count as a 30 minute break after 4.5 hours driving which is not legal.
You can do 1 minute driving then have the first part of a driving break, you can have a WTD break after a minutes work but it won’t count as a driving break unless you’ve done some driving.

All legal and so is this -

drive 1 min
break 15 mins
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
break 30 mins

tachograph:
The first 3 examples are fine, you’ve always had the breaks in the right order and on time.

You cannot have a driving break until you’ve done some driving so the last example would not be legal, it would count as a 30 minute break after 4.5 hours driving which is not legal.
You can do 1 minute driving then have the first part of a driving break, you can have a WTD break after a minutes work but it won’t count as a driving break unless you’ve done some driving.

i probably should have realised you had to actually drive a minute to count as a driving break, oops!

thanks for informative replys !,
I completely forgot about the walk around check first,
Very handy also to know i can take a break after 1 min driving,

my plan is to use a kitchen timer and just set it to 4.5 hours and let it count down everytime i hop in the cab, the only way i can think of would work for me,

In regards keeping track of weekly/two-weekly driving hours does anyone have any particular way they would do that, is it just best to just do a printout every week. or are there others way i am overlooking?

any tips of the trade are greatly appreciated,
better to know now saves alot of hassle

FlyinTDI

FlyinTDI:
my plan is to use a kitchen timer and just set it to 4.5 hours and let it count down everytime i hop in the cab

If you use a digital tachograph it will show you how much driving time you’ve used since the last 45 minute break, how much break you’ve had and how much other work and POA you’ve done, you should take these times off the tachograph display and not a kitchen timer.

FlyinTDI:
In regards keeping track of weekly/two-weekly driving hours does anyone have any particular way they would do that, is it just best to just do a printout every week. or are there others way i am overlooking?

A digital tachograph will show you how much fortnightly driving time you’ve done.

FlyinTDI:
any tips of the trade are greatly appreciated

Here’s a tip, unless you’re using an analogue tachograph leave the kitchen timer in the kitchen where it belongs :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

If you use a digital tachograph it will show you how much driving time you’ve used since the last 45 minute break, how much break you’ve had and how much other work and POA you’ve done, you should take these times off the tachograph display and not a kitchen timer.

Great, is that on display on taco while driving?

Here’s a tip, unless you’re using an analogue tachograph leave the kitchen timer in the kitchen where it belongs :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Duly noted :laughing:

FlyinTDI:
Great, is that on display on taco while driving?

It’s on the tacho, but if you want a taco you’ll need to find a Mexican takeaway or something :smiley:

You can view it while driving and while stationary, a digital tachograph will give you a 15 minute warning when you’ve done 4:15 hours driving.

There’s a digital tachograph simulator here
You can have a guided tour of the tachograph and how to use it on the simulator.

The newer tachographs are slightly different to the ones on the simulator but this will give you a good idea of how they work, the simulator shows you how to use 3 types of digital tachograph (Siemens, Stoneridge and Actia), the most widely used digital tachographs in the UK are the Siemens so I would have a look at that one.

One of the members of the board has done his own Tacho Intro video. Might be useful…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134170

Thanks for replys
wheres a mexican takeaway when you need one! :laughing:

blue estate:
They all should start with crossed hammers other work for 15mins to show you’ve done daily checks :wink:

15 min is a myth

ROG:
All legal and so is this -

drive 1 min
break 15 mins
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
break 30 mins

Although the boss may not take too kindly to see you tucking into a sausage and bacon outside kellys kitchen after 1 min :laughing:

So is it common practice to get your card in the machine 1st thing and recording as other work (walkround etc) before driving or ■■?

It’s good practice to make sure that you get the card in and on other work whilst doing your walk round checks, this way if you are stopped you have a record showing the time to backup that you did your daily check. Some companies insist on a certain amount eg 10 or 15 minutes before you leave the yard.

NickW88:
It’s good practice to make sure that you get the card in and on other work whilst doing your walk round checks, this way if you are stopped you have a record showing the time to backup that you did your daily check. Some companies insist on a certain amount eg 10 or 15 minutes before you leave the yard.

Ah ok i see,

Thanks nick.

Just been reading some of the tacho posts in the time dir section, seems overly complicated, even on one set of rules but when going outside domestic its nuts,

Maybe just me but my head is fried, :open_mouth:

I’ve always been told the Tacho should match the time sheet. So for instance if I start at 4 am officially I use manual entries for other work to show the delay between start and card insertion.

Likewise if you eject card at 1745 but then debrief etc until 1800 you should manual entry that 15 minutes the next day to account for it as other work.

NickW88:
I’ve always been told the Tacho should match the time sheet. So for instance if I start at 4 am officially I use manual entries for other work to show the delay between start and card insertion.

Likewise if you eject card at 1745 but then debrief etc until 1800 you should manual entry that 15 minutes the next day to account for it as other work.

Manual entry where nick ? on your time sheet ?

So i take it your not salaried ? hourly ? agency ?

Manual entry on the Tacho mate.

I’ve done both agency and full time and both have asked for the same. Manual entries on the tacho are your friend.