Newbie mistake lesson learned

well having taken a trailer from the yard in hull, got to immingham docks for loaded trailer … this is where the fun starts , uncoupled on row 25 all well and good ,the trailer to pick up was on row 36 i went to couple up funny these air lines dont fit oops left the other couplings on the other trailer something to do with continental couplings well they had already taken the trailer on the ship had a quick word with one of the shunters he went to get the couplings no problem ,well after i coupled up went to check lights etc etc oops i had also left the lights on the first trailer saw same shunter i said listen heres a tenner do me a favour and get my lights as well …funny how this has become part of my check automatically now
anyone else done the same thing and will admit it on here lol.

what did once was take off all the lines except the red one then pull out and rip it off…
and ive stretched them a couple of times before someone has shouted me too stop :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
i also dropped an empty skelly on its knees once because i was talking and forgot to wind the legs down :blush: i just watched in the mirrors it just slide off as i pulled out but it only took a couple of minutes to wind back up.

On the subject of suzies one of drivers dropped a trailer last week and left the suzies lying on the platform as he reversed towards the diesel pumps. I heard a strange niose so shouted him to stop, too late. The red line had wrapped it self around the prop shaft and snapped. driver tied a knot in it so he could move it around the yard. I said it wouldn’t work too much pressure, I was wrong :blush:

knight:
On the subject of suzies one of drivers dropped a trailer last week and left the suzies lying on the platform as he reversed towards the diesel pumps. I heard a strange niose so shouted him to stop, too late. The red line had wrapped it self around the prop shaft and snapped. driver tied a knot in it so he could move it around the yard. I said it wouldn’t work too much pressure, I was wrong :blush:

If drivers aren’t so tight and pay £2 for a couple of bungies then this kind of thing wouldn’t happen, although I appreciate you might not be in the same unit every day. Also saves the lines getting covered in grease too.

:bulb:

Dont worry about being a newbie, it can happen to everyone. well it happened to a bloke who kept telling me he had 30 years experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Last Friday, he came into the yard apparently in a strop. he backed under his trailer but then left it at that. On Monday he went in the yard, coupled the air lines and wound the legs up/ within 10 yards the trailer was on its knees :smiley: and the bloke was emptying his cab to go back home, involantarily I might add.

Not sure whether someone had realised he hadnt pulled his pin and did it for him or he just neglected to check it. But there is probably at least one job going spare :smiley:

If you are coupling a trailer, do not talk to anyone or leave the job half done :stuck_out_tongue:

All part of the learning process I guess Hairy. You wont do that again, not at a tenner a go anyway. :laughing:
Are these continental couplings your talking about called palms or something like that? :confused: Mainly used on tilt trailers aren’t they?(Probably wrong :blush: )

Yup, they are called PALM couplings Uvox.

They have other uses as well.

I was heading to Cairnryan, for the boat to Ireland. I had a wagon with two tanks on it and for some reason the diesel wasn’t feeding through from one tank to the other. As a result I ran out of diesel although I had half a tank of diesel on the other side. I made a seal for the neck of the tank from a large bin liner and blew the diesel through using my red air-line onto the palm coupling pushed tight into the seal I had made. It worked well enough and cleared the blockage.