My first day on class 1

Hear goes this is my second attemp at posting as the first one got lost in space somehow.Asyou all know i passed class 1 on june 14th and was looking for a class 1 job as i drive a class 2 in a job i have been in for the last 12 years.I arrive at the yard in newport at 18.00 as agreed and i met the tm who by the way was a lady, i was asked for my bank details and was asked if i required directions to my 2 destinations.As i did the run the previous week i said no it was fine as i wrote all the directions down.I was handed the keys to a spanking new daf i dont know the model as i did not take any notice, i went and spoke to the shunter and he told me what trailer to get off the bay and it was to goto wiltshire.Now dont forget i only passed my test less than 6 weeks ago and i have not even sat in a unit since let alone couple one up all alone.
I was a absolute shaking wreck hear i was with this unit and i had to couple it up without any help whatsoever, hear goes i thought.As i proceded to reverse under the unit i went so far and stoped to check where the pin was in relation to the 5th wheel, looked fine to me so kept on reversing back until i realised hang on this is going back a bit too far, got out which was a good job i did only to realise that i had overshot the 5th wheel and nearly put the trailer in the back off the unit.Jesus christ i said anyway i decided that if i put a right hand down hard i should be able to get out of this situation, whic i did .

I tried again but i realise by now that the unit has a suspension on it so i raise the suspension to the highest point and revers in and bang on it goes in , it made quite a noise thou.I then went on to couple up the trailer and do all the checks when i get into the unit there is a message on the dash in bright red letters saying"STOP EBS WARNING". which is also buzzing its head off.
i check the suzies and they all seem ok and fit well, i then went and spoke to the tm and she told me that the trailer was not compaatible for the unit and gave me a different suzie which she said would extinguish the warnings.
Wrong they still were warning so i went and had a word with the shunter and he explained to me that after driving 30 miles they would reset themselves and go out. oK I SAID IF THATS WHAT YOU SAY i then left the yard and drove for 1 hour and 40 mins to wiltshire and the [zb] thing was still buzzing its head off.
i did the trailer swop off ok with out any problems and it took me 20 mins and you are allowed 15 mins only .i left newport at 19.10 and arrived at wilts at 20.40 then left at 9.10, i then had to drive to northampton and be on the bay b4 00.00. i arrived there at 23.40 and was told to put her on bay 17 omg i thought there were trailers everywhere i tried to put her on the bay but i was under preasure with other wagons waiting to pass so i said to a shunter oi pal put this thing on bay 17 for me please, he obliged but said only the once and i woould have to do it myself nx time.I then went around the back and found bay number 31 which was my return trailer it was inbetween 2 other units which were allready coupled up but it looked ok so i reversed in without any problems WRONG i overshot the trailer again, but this time much worse, i had hit the lines on the unit and they were all bukled up. The driver in the nx unit got out and helped me and managed to assist the unit away and gave me some vital information for the future. I got away from there at 01.20 i arrived at newport at 4.30 i was shagged.THIS WAS MY FIRST NITE
iwill post nx nite later .
vigfan…

Sorry Vig, but if it can’t get through the censor as is, then it isn’t allowed. Lib

Good read vigfanbke :smiley: . I am sure there was a
post not that long ago about EBS WARNING
and I will see if I can find it for you.

I think this is it -
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … hlight=ebs

Also there is some good advice in this post
about raising the suspension to prevent under
running the Pin
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12461

One thing I forgot to ask and was concerned about
was if you raise the suspension will it scuff anything
like the wheel arches if your not to careful.

Good read. I remember my first trip alone in an artic, very nerve-racking :laughing:

One thing I forgot to ask and was concerned about
was if you raise the suspension will it scuff anything
like the wheel arches if your not to careful

lower the suspension before backing under ,then once under by about a foot raise it and ■■■■■■ the pin.

pet hate of mine scratched mud gaurds

jon

How far do you lower the suspension and If you
lowered the suspension until it would not go any
lower would it scuff the insides of the wheel arches
or dont it go that low

I have one more question also should vigfanbke
took that truck out with that message on the dash in
bright red letters saying"STOP EBS WARNING".
which is also buzzing its head off.
My guess would have been no as all warning lights
should go out and audible warning devices are not
sounding before moving and RED lights means stop

If you’re in doubt with lowering the suspension convoy, lower it then back under far enough to be able to pick the trailer up with the skids jack her back up then engage the pin sliding the trailer up the skids and along the 5th wheel. There will be no damage to the unit and for the bone idle amongst us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: you will have taken the weight off the legs too. :wink: Also the gravity of he trailer means the pin will engage more decisively obviously tug test it but there is less room for error. :wink:

I have one more question also should vigfanbke
took that truck out with that message on the dash in
bright red letters saying"STOP EBS WARNING".
which is also buzzing its head off.

if it was red it should have been parked up and defected straight away and you should refuse to take it out the yard until fixed.

jon

Ladytrucker679:
If you’re in doubt with lowering the suspension convoy, lower it then back under far enough to be able to pick the trailer up with the skids jack her back up then engage the pin sliding the trailer up the skids and along the 5th wheel. There will be no damage to the unit and for the bone idle amongst us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: you will have taken the weight off the legs too. :wink: Also the gravity of he trailer means the pin will engage more decisively obviously tug test it but there is less room for error. :wink:

It also stops the unit “riding the pin” that is: going under the pin with the jaws on the fifth wheel and having the headboard of the trailer hit the back of the cab. Did this with one of Samworths close coupled fridges one day this year. Quite an unhappy experience :open_mouth::lol:.

Thanks for answering my questions :smiley:

When you are dropping a trailer, after all other jobs, pull the pin, then pull forward 1/2 metre, then LOWER the suspension.
You will leave the trailer smoothly, quietly & WITHOUT slobbing grease all over the mudguard tops & onto the lip of the trailer swivel plate… from where it easily gets on your trousers when your’e attaching lines.

BE CAREFUL if you ever drive an Irish plated unit, such as Woodsides…they do not have riser rails & you must adhere to the suspension raise/lower method of coupling & dropping.