Newark to Norwich, which way to go?

Monday I’ve got a load from Teesside to Great Yarmouth. I’m trying to work out which way to go. It’s easy enough until I get to Newark, after which there is a choice for the Newark to Norwich stretch.

The shortest route which is 110 miles is down the A17 via Sleaford, Holbeach, Kings Lynn. The other option is to carry on down the A1 and then take the A14 as far as Newmarket and then the A11 up to Norwich which is 140 miles.

However I’ll be running at 44tons and the shorter route is almost all single carriageway and has dozens of roundabouts whereas the longer one is all dual carriageway apart from a 10 mile stretch between Mildenhall and Thetford. So if I average 40mph on the A17 or 50mph on the A1/A14/A11 route then they will take about the same amount of time (2h45min compared to 2h48min, nothing in it).

So to the fuel. With all those roundabouts I can’t see me doing much more than 6mpg on the A17 route whereas I should see more like 7.5 on the steady run so I would use either 83 litres or 85 litres. Not much in it there either.

So which way would you go?

Paul

i would take the a1 a14 route personaly

greggy:
i would take the a1 a14 route personaly

We always took the A17 although I hate every mile of it.

A17 everytime but watch out for Lincolnshire police

A17 here as well. :wink:

a17 even though its like pulling teeth. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Depends on the time?.Personally i’d take the a17 the a14 and a11 can be an absolute nightmare in the rush hour and any other time of the day come to think of it :unamused: .

renaultman:
We always took the A17 although I hate every mile of it.

I don’t like it either. I’ve been down to Fakenham a few times in the last couple of months and all those roundabouts take their toll both on the driver and the fuel consumption. Not to mention the VOSA checkpoint at Sleaford and of course plenty of tractors and 40mph drivers to keep your speed down.

That said I know the A14 can be a nightmare too especially around Cambridge so there’s not really a clear cut winner either way.

Paul

A17 wins for me.

Just chill out as you sit back behind that tractor and enjoy the majestic views of mile upon mile of nothingness.

or take the A14 and enjoy a game of Whacky Races; cars and container trucks enjoying each others company and sometimes coming together in a strange form of ■■■■■■ desire for each other.

A1 A47?

A17 A47 any better?

I’ve done the run many times and I would probably take the A17, although I must admit it’s poxy. At least you can stop at the “Farm Shop” cafe near Gedney for your dinner if you go that way.

Used to do Leeds- Lowestoft/Yarmouth/Norwich regularly, and always went via Sleaford/Kings Lynn, and yes, the roundabouts are a pain in the arse, but I find Lincolnshire a nice county to drive through and then got bored once into Norfolk.

Although seeing the Memorial Flight during the summer months when they were en route to flypasts made the journey even nicer. :smiley:

Beware the speed trap on the Acle straight towards Yarmouth. They’re used to be out regularly. :angry:

Ken.

Quinny:
Used to do Leeds- Lowestoft/Yarmouth/Norwich regularly, and always went via Sleaford/Kings Lynn, and yes, the roundabouts are a pain in the arse, but I find Lincolnshire a nice county to drive through and then got bored once into Norfolk.

Although seeing the Memorial Flight during the summer months when they were en route to flypasts made the journey even nicer. :smiley:

Beware the speed trap on the Acle straight towards Yarmouth. They’re used to be out regularly. :angry:

Ken.

Beware of the camera north of boston done me last summer spilsby i think just after a bend had 44 ton pushing me up to 49mph!!! :blush: :blush:

Well ask any Norfolk driver which way from Norwich to Newark and there is only one route, A17. Just sit back and relax, don’t push the speed limit, it ain’t worth it.

Same here A17 is the route that everybody tends to use for Yarmouth and Norwich. The Norfolk line boys and Jack Richards all use it and the scottish lads use it too so that must tell us something. Also one or two cafes and snack bars on this route if you need a cuppa. :grimacing:

Well it looks like the consensus is that the A17 is the way to go, so unless Radio2 is telling me of any major traffic issues on that route then I’ll be going that way.

Thanks all for your help,
Paul

Why not try going via A1 / A14 then runnung back via A17 & do a comparison yourself repton I take it you’l be loading back from round there. I’d never thought of going the A14 to Norwich until an old driver in our yard mentioned it, I gave it a go & was’nt unhappy with it. From us in Warrington it was M62 / A1 / A17 normally or weave your way across country to Newark, I’ve been a few times from Wetherby to Norwich lately & have used the A17 & everytime your Mans @ Sleaford with his binoculars on.

A17 its not a bad road - just the one massive hill a few miles after you leave the A1 but thats it - flows well - no major problems and if you don’t speed you don’t need to worry
The A14 if fine but you’ll be adding a good 50-60 miles - and then the A11 is single from Mildenhall to Thetford with the traffic lights by Center parcs - which causes hours of delays especially when theres and accident there lol
regards
Steve

fly sheet:
have used the A17 & everytime your Mans @ Sleaford with his binoculars on.

Too right, they’ve been there every time I’ve been past recently except when it’s been early in the morning or later of an evening. That said to be honest being pulled might not be a bad thing. The unit and trailer have both been through their test in the last fortnight, the tyres have all got oodles of tread and I’m confident my cards are all fine so perhaps getting pulled now would be a nice boost to my OCRS and reduce the chance of being pulled again in the future.

Paul