NEW ZEALAND

Hi Everyone,

like a few of you I am looking to leave the UK and move to New Zeaand, can anyone who is already out there trucking put me in touch with some contacts please. I went through a recruitment agency and got nowhere, I have sent emails for hundreds of jobs and got nowhere and very rarely get a response.

I’ve been driving in UK for 10 years, HGV class 1, curtain siders and tankers (British Sugar) am 38 married and looking to move to the North Island with the wife and daughter. Went to a seminar for a migration agent and I don’t mind paying the fee £2250, with that they promise to get me a job within 6 months but if they can’t they refund half the money, so could pay it out and find myself still looking again in 6 months.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please, we have our hearts set on New Zealand and thought they were in need of drivers but can’t seem to get anywhere. I would happily come out there for a few weeks but if I am not getting anywhere at all with emails don’t want to find myself throwing more money at it and getting nowhere?

Cheers

My landlady lives over there and is always suggesting I go over to see them.

I have asked about work in NZ and I havent heard there is a shortage of truck drivers. In fact when Patrick White was running to Turkey most of his fleet was driven by kiwis :stuck_out_tongue:

I think if you have made your mind up to go, then a holiday beforehand might help, just to go and find a job. I am distrustful of these agencies charging vast amounts to find work, bit like agencies really, scourge of the trucking industry.

Good Luck

:slight_smile: Maybe this might help. :confused:

The only way you will get a job here is to jump on a plane and come over.

I am surprised that you got little responce from mailshots to different companies!I sent out my CV, to a few, explaining that I was coming over to find a job and would they like to meet me, I got about 90% response.I was only in the country 12hrs before I had my job offer.It took 6wks for my visa to be approved and that was me sorted, but I already had my NZ Licenses so it was a easier for me.

Try www.jobstuff.co.nz or www.yellowpages.co.nz to find haulage companies.

Cheers mate,

what I have done now, rightly or wrongly… got accepted for a placement with migration agent, they sort out a job for you and help you with migration, initial accomodation, meet and greet at the airport, tour round your chosen location and if the job doesn’t work out sort you out with an alternative. As we haven’t been before thought it would be helpful…they seem nice enough. Really looking forward to getting out there, they hoping to get me a job in Whangerei. If that fails I’m jumping on a plane, one way or another I want to get to New Zealand and the Mrs is gonna retrain so we can hopefully get permanent residency…can’t stay in UK nothing for the little one when she grows up.

Beware of paying your hard earned cash to these immigration companies my friend,they maybe very nice people,but remember they are only after your money.
Get a return ticket on Air New zealand(about 700gbp)go job hunting,much cheaper…
I have spoken to trucking companies in NZ,it seems they like to meet you face to face before any job offers will be made.
Ring up Air New Zealands reservations in London,get a price and see if its cheaper than the immigration company.
good luke my friend…

The Gent.

Forget Air NZ and BA they charge big potatoes!!

Go Arab Emirates or Singapore Airlines!

But I do agree with you Gent, the only way you will get a job is to come on over.

There are many routes down to New Zealand,try Virgin atlantic down to Hong kong ,then across to NZ,its always worth looking at the American carriers,doing a London-LA-auckland route.(maybe a cheap option)try Continental airways.

Iknow this is good route as i have taken the LAX route to NZ myself( The Gent used to work for Sir Richard @ Virgin Atlantic,The Gents wife used to work for Continental airways at sunny Gatwick)
enough of plugging for the airlines,instead of going through immigration companies,our friend should look at HGV Training companies in NZ,these guys know all the ins and outs of trucking in NZ,they maybe able give some leads to companies recruiting at the moment.
He should also have alook at the NZ immigration service website,plenty of usefull info there…
The Gent.

mcdowall.net.nz/

This company have advertised in the past. I can’t offer any opinion of them as a company as I have no dealings with them but must at least be worth getting in touch.All the best :wink:

Thanks mate, looked at their website and yes they do have vacancies so have emailed my CV to them, worth a try. :smiley:

Hi Shep,
Sorry I think I have lost your E-mail, but to put your mind at ease a bit, we had an Englishman start with us this week, got a Visa through some Immigration company.He came out with me to learn the ropes, he did tell me but can’t remember the companys name he used, but it was something like ‘New Zealand for you’ or words to that effect.It cost him bout 3k and took 6mths, but they got him a job, and a visa so it can be done.

John

Hi John,

yeah the company is New Zealand 4 You, they told us they had 12 drivers go over from January and got quite a few more going over in the next few months.

So hopefully I will be out there by the time it’s your summer. See you then.

Phil :sunglasses:

tartanraider:
http://www.mcdowall.net.nz/

This company have advertised in the past. I can’t offer any opinion of them as a company as I have no dealings with them but must at least be worth getting in touch.All the best :wink:

Any joy with this Shep?

I sent my CV off to McDowalls on 1st May after reading your post. They were advertising vacancies and said they could take on drivers from abroad but haven’t had any response - not even an acknowledgement so not sure whats gone off there. :confused:

Thanks any way and I will let you know if I ever get a reply.

Shep

Shep,

Sounds like you’ve found an immigration company which really can deliver the goods( no pun intended).

It’s not very often we hear about a decent immigration company,could you let us all know the website address,i looked but could not find it,

The Gent…

Yeah no probs.

The company I am going through is NZ4U the recruitment arm of Investors in People…direct email is recruitment@iipnz.co.nz. But be warned the cost is high and it does take 6-9 months…cost £2250.00.

You have an interview in the UK and sit what they call an Accident Risk Management Test…straightforward just testing common sense, then they go through their assimilation interview to see if they think you will settle…they want drivers that are gonna stay…cos they also charge the employer for supplying you to them so they only want people that they think are genuinely interested. We paid cos you also get settlement services and with having an 8 year old we wanted additional support.

Another company that recruits drivers NO COST is MHS, but they do take their time as well…they emailed me this week saying they might have an interested employer…thats after me getting in touch with them in January…website www.mhs.com.au

Hope this helps…if you want to wait a few months when I get out there I don’t mind helping people get sorted with jobs…no charge!! :laughing:

I am in NZ currently, feel free to mail me any q’s. I would advise you to come over on a holiday first, getting a visa once you are here is very straight forward. There are plenty of jobs here, I wouldn’t be too disheartened if you letters and e mails fell on deaf ears. It is still very informal here so turn up over here and get straight into it. I did it, I didn’t drive for long as I am now office based helping to run a transport and contracting business. Good luck anyone who wants to come over.

So how are you here Placid?I take it you are on a Work Permit as a Truckie?

Have you seen the June issue of NZ Truck and Driver?There is an article in there about pushing Truck Driving up the list for Residency.This my second stint in NZ, I have no intension of goin home this time.

Initially I came over on a truck drivers visa, however I have just applied for residency using my other qualification…accountancy. It will be interesting to see what happens regarding the truckie residency issue. We could do with some quality drivers where I am. Kiwi drivers = huge R&M costs.

So are you based in Geraldine?Have you got Electricty back on yet?

I reckon its more a question of when not if, Truckies get on the shortage list for Residency.Every company in NZ is looking for Good Experinced Drivers, I get approched at least every fortnight with job offers.