New Zealand So Far

Well as promised here’s a few from down under…Will get some more uploaded when I get to a better internet connection.

Keep em coming Duck! I can only imagine how gutted I’d have been if I’d have arrived in Canada only to be given an ERF! Mind, my first truck here was a Freightliner Classic which is basically a 25 year old ERF with a big cab any way :wink:

Have you moved there permanently or is it just a temporary adventure?

Mostly wag n drags, as I recall.

You’ve done well to get pictures of them all :wink:

Jesus. So the trucks range from really old crap to fairly old crap to Yank crap. What is it like using palm couplings again? It must have been like stepping back in time 30 years. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

On another note, have the recent earthquakes this week affected you at all?

Nice snaps mate, is that wool bales in the first wag drag pics?

Does NZ accept a UK / Canadian class one driving licence or do you have to retake the test there before starting work? I’m at a lose end for a few months before I go back to Canada and if its not too much of a hassle to organise I’d be up for a trip to NZ for a few months just for the hell of it. I have no interest on going permanently but a working holiday would be good.

the old bedford is a thing of beauty :sunglasses: top pics :slight_smile:

i agree the bedfords steal the show, i would love the KM, looking at the stacks fitted with a detroit i would have thought.

good pics but not one single good looking motor out the lot of em :stuck_out_tongue:

You been affected by this earthquake carry on?

kindle530:
good pics but not one single good looking motor out the lot of em :stuck_out_tongue:

you got mirrors in norfolk?if not the irony will be lost on you :slight_smile:

I’m jealous! McDowell’s put an advert in my local paper 5 years ago looking for drivers in NZ (no idea what they’re like to work for), said they’d sort out all the visas etc. They required at least 2 years experience but I never had my license then. I went and got my class 1 shortly after and was lucky enough to get driving work straight away. I had no mortgage and was single but now my circumstances have changed, mortgage, baby etc so I’ll probably never do it.

In answer to some of your questions, believe me, there are a lot of nice motors here but I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time to get any snaps of them yet. I’m just using my UK C+E at the moment as it’s valid for up to a year. Only thing I can’t really do is dangerous goods as you need to swap your license over and get an endorsement put on it. With regards to the quake, I left Christchurch at 8AM last Friday to go for a job interview in Timaru about 100 miles South. The quakes didn’t hit untill around 1PM and then again at 3PM. First I knew of it was a phone call from my Dad back home so I guess I was quite lucky. It’s pretty creepy around here, there are restaurants downtown with broken cutlery and half eaten meals in them from the February quake. I’ll try to get some more truck photos online later if possible.

Conor:
Jesus. So the trucks range from really old crap to fairly old crap to Yank crap. What is it like using palm couplings again? It must have been like stepping back in time 30 years. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

On another note, have the recent earthquakes this week affected you at all?

we dont use “palm couplings”.

suprised no one has asked the most important question.
how crap is the money? salaried? mileage? trip?
tacho? log book? brief outline of the regs please?

dont think you would work for the money,although it may give you somewhere to go until the ban is up…

limeyphil:
suprised no one has asked the most important question.
how crap is the money? salaried? mileage? trip?
tacho? log book? brief outline of the regs please?

the money is varied depending who you work for and in which part of the country.
best money is normally had in Auckland, but Auckland has the highest cost of living.
Auckland money is between $18 and $23 per hour.
my drivers would average about 60 hours a week.
when my drivers are away over night i pay for the motel evening meal and breakfast. there is no money given to the driver as an allowence.
the only few who do sleep in the truck would be onwer drivers.
most drivers are paid hourly and a few are on salaries.
very rare to be paid trip money.
we use log books.
you can work a 14 hour spread over day and must take a 30 minuet break after 5 1/2 hours of on duty time. so 13 hours on duty plus 1 hour break = 14 hours.
there is no difference between drive time, loading time or waiting time it all counts as on duty.
after 70 hours of on duty you need to take a 24 hour break.

newish quad set up.

fuel-large_4.jpg

standard truck and trailer, or A frame to most poms.

peter baker.jpg

B Train.

orica.jpg