New, wannabe and on training driver

Well hello guys I’m very glad I found this forum and learned a lot from it just from reading different topics but I’m still unclear as to my training and the company I’m doing it with.

So I’ll try to put it as short.
I just recently started training with HGV Training and I found that they ■■■■ even though I’ve seen some good comments about them. I’ve spend so far over 3000 for my C, C+E, CPC(where I passed my car test after 1997), medical and all theory tests/hazard perception. I have a guaranteed interview from them with a hauling company that apparently pays 26k+ after I pass my C+E which I’m soon to begin. I just done and passed my class C and CPC now waiting for dates for C+E. All courses are 5 days where 5th day is the test. I got the pass protection as well and just wanted to know if that’s what you guys would have went with? I’ve seen cheaper companies these days and really all that HGV Training does is just handle my calls and book me in to a training school.

When the interview is to happen I’m meant to do a driving assessment and the talk and it’s totally up to me to pass it.

I really do hope to pass it as obviously it would be so hard to find a job as a new trucker where I’m just 22(23 this year). I had my car licence for past 4 years and been driving LOTS, been doing at least 600 miles a month for at least 3 years and that’s where I came to love driving. I really enjoyed my class 2 and passed it first time with 2 marks, and no I’m not trying to brag about myself just trying to show a point that I do like it.

I’m hoping for some share of your wisdom guys it would be much appreciated

We would have put you off going with that provider but its water under the bridge now so I hope it all turns out ok

Which cpc ? - operator cpc - initial driver cpc (2 tests) - periodic driver cpc (35 hours) ■■?

I hope it does, thanks

It’s the Initial driver cpc

That’s a lot of money to be shelling out. I went for a “package deal” from a place which is no longer in business and that included all sorts except what I really wanted and needed, especially after having the best part of a year out for knee surgery. So from that view, I’d be wary of such companies again, but like ROG said, it’s water under the bridge now.

The main thing for you is to focus on whats next, get the C+E passed as easy as you passed the C and if all fails(which it wont), you can either get yourself a C+E job or if worst comes to worst, you have the C to fall back on. Like I said, focus on getting the PASS!!

When is the C+E booked for? Any ideas who the interview is with?

I’m still waiting for the dates to decide on Daniel I’ll know them by Thursday from what they said.

The company I’ll have the interview is called TRG Logistics who apparently are sole recruiters for Tesco and I got a letter attached to the email where there is a mutual agreement on this from TGR and HGH Training both signed.

Got my date sorted now, starting 4th of June

Happy but stressed as well…

Best of luck with it all. It’s not a scam as such - just an expensive way of doing what you could have arranged for yourself.

I would have done the same for £2400. As for the interviews, that’s really no big deal and any half decent trainer will have contacts for that.

But you’ve done well to let others know, so thankyou.

All the best with the CE.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
But you’ve done well to let others know, so thankyou.

I will second that :smiley:

Tomsy:
I’m still waiting for the dates to decide on Daniel I’ll know them by Thursday from what they said.

The company I’ll have the interview is called TRG Logistics who apparently are sole recruiters for Tesco and I got a letter attached to the email where there is a mutual agreement on this from TGR and HGH Training both signed.

I don’t mean to rain on your parade here, but I’ve just recently been turned down for a C+E job by TRG Logistics for their Tesco site at Dagenham because of a lack of experience - took my emailing a cv and in the end a direct phone call to get even that far. Passed the test in April. To quote something my father in law said to me, don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

I’ve only just managed to find work with a company local to me who were the only one to take the fact that I’ve been driving professionally into account. Even then I’m going in on rigids.

All the best with your CE training! Just one question - wagon and drag or artic?

Well its a shame that I didn’t know how much money I can save…

Well done finding a job Greeny and I’m down in Glasgow so its different area and I hope I won’t meet same problem with them.

I’m doing artic

Tomsy:

Well done finding a job Greeny and I’m down in Glasgow so its different area and I hope I won’t meet same problem with them.

I’m doing artic

I honestly hope they do give you a chance at the least!

Interestingly enough, we want to move up that way. Where is their depot in Glasgow if you don’t mind me asking?

Greeny3:

Tomsy:

I’m doing artic

Interestingly enough, we want to move up that way. Where is their depot in Glasgow if you don’t mind me asking?

The thing is that I don’t even know. I’ve been so hot headed and I should have asked so many questions.

Hi Tomsy,

Firstly congratulations on your training and I wish you the very best with it. You do know that if you do secure something from this company on behalf of Tesco that you’ll be driving to Livingston each shift to where the RDC is based? Quite a trek if you ask me!

Sam

Tomsy:

Greeny3:

Tomsy:

I’m doing artic

The thing is that I don’t even know. I’ve been so hot headed and I should have asked so many questions.

Without sounding too heavy; focus on your CE training mate. The job will come later :slight_smile:

You said you were training on an artic right? When I did my CE I did it in an artic - one of the things my instructor drummed into me was the “shoulder check”. When you take your first left or right turn you’ll see exactly what I mean!

Without sounding too heavy; focus on your CE training mate. The job will come later :slight_smile:

You said you were training on an artic right? When I did my CE I did it in an artic - one of the things my instructor drummed into me was the “shoulder check”. When you take your first left or right turn you’ll see exactly what I mean!

Do you mean cyclists? lol

Livingston is quite far indeed but if they will take me I think I would travel for sake of experience.
I was told by a fellow I used to work with he started off delivering milk and they used to take pretty much everyone

I was thinking also of hitting a company called Bidvest Logistics, they used to do deliveries to the company I used to work for. A big amount of handballing but they have a fleet of rigids and artic’s.

Tomsy:

Do you mean cyclists? lol

Livingston is quite far indeed but if they will take me I think I would travel for sake of experience.
I was told by a fellow I used to work with he started off delivering milk and they used to take pretty much everyone

I was thinking also of hitting a company called Bidvest Logistics, they used to do deliveries to the company I used to work for. A big amount of handballing but they have a fleet of rigids and artic’s.

See a lot Bidvest lorries down here. I did take a look at them but nothing local to me! Is Livingston a long journey for you?

Cyclists are of course one thing you should keep an eye out for - if you thought the blind spots were big on the class 2 you wait until you drive a class 1!

You’ll find as you turn either to the left or right, the front of the trailer (the shoulder :wink:) will kick out into the opposite mirror - when you’re used to being able to see the tail it’s quite something to get used to. Take your time with it mate. The artic training won’t drop into place as easily as the rigid.

Yeah looks like about 20 miles drive… but oh well

I’m sure the artic will be a whole different experience

Tomsy:

Bump. Any update on when you start training?

Greeny3:

Tomsy:

Bump. Any update on when you start training?

Yeah I’m starting again on 4th of June, can’t wait.

Yeah passed my test today !!

My Instructor said he will get me a job, will hang on to that as it’s great.