New Volvo fh

Hi
Due to order new Volvo this week anyone give me a heads up what to ask for & what not to ask for ! It will be used for farm haulage so will pull a 65-70 yd tipper or normal 26 pallet 4 mt high tautliner ? Thanks stev.

Yeah get a Scania :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Got a scrapia that’s why I’m getting a decent truck !

stev:
Got a scrapia that’s why I’m getting a decent truck !

We have three Volvos, and lots of problems

We use our 500’s for the cattle trailer and tipper work. After Volvo training we were much better at selecting the right modes etc to keep grip when off roading. Before that we were spinning out to easy on hills. Simply selecting diff locks was not necessarily enough.

We also have 2x 750’s but they only do heavy haulage work.

Our lads find the ‘‘quick steering’’ option, whatever its called, takes some getting used to so maybe not an ideal option if other than regular drivers use them, i haven’t had the dubious pleasure yet so only going on what they say.

What sort of problems does your company get ? Why don’t you like your merc as you seem to rate scrapia so much ?

stev:
What sort of problems does your company get ? Why don’t you like your merc as you seem to rate scrapia so much ?

Mainly adblue problems mate. I do like my Merc its a great truck but its not a Scania :sunglasses:

Yeah our new FH’s spent the first few months after there purchase last year getting adblue problems sorted.

I’ve had scrapia & Volvo for the last 30 years & I know which are the best & most comfortable! How good is the merc I’ve seen you around doing tipper work as it could be an option ?

stev:
I’ve had scrapia & Volvo for the last 30 years & I know which are the best & most comfortable! How good is the merc I’ve seen you around doing tipper work as it could be an option ?

The Mercs are pretty good not the best pullers but plenty of room we’ve got some new renaults and they are good we’ve had our mp3 mercs remaped and they help on fuel too

Juddian. I’ve been on farm work most of my time so not too bad off-road with diffs & lifting axles etc but always open to learning something new.

Mrgringe. What type ad blue problems major ones or just silly little teething problems?

Supposedly it was simply down to the them using a similar pump to the previous model but now it was supposedly not up to the job. Then when they realised this it took a bit of time to replace them due to stock levels. They have been great ever since.

That’s not to bad now they’ve sorted out the pump issues ! Do you have one driver one truck or multiple drivers ? What type of work do you do + weights + mpg !

Generally one driver to each unit but if they are off, ill, other units off the road etc then certain people are aloud to drive them. My company had never bought a new truck before last year so they are very protective over them.

500’s: 2 of the units are double drive and do landfill work (44T), 2 lift axles do bulker work (44T) and the other lift axle does bulker,cattle and race team trailer.

750’s: 2x heavy so double drive , different 5th wheels etc. Only got them last week so have not been used on the road yet, spanking 16 plates.

Not sure on the MPG’s, obviously the double drives are worse. I know my boss loves looking at the figures on his mobile phone app though. :smiley:

Thanks mrginge thanks fairly helpful were always at full weight & on the flatlands so was just looking for rough estimates of mpg ! Also looking for info on spec. I was thinking alloys,fixed 5th wheel, fridge,leather seats,dab radio etc

Big inverters come in handy for kettles, microwaves etc etc stev

We have move able 5th wheels, tipper trailer position is not good for walking floor, cattle, ejector, flat bed, curtain sider trailers etc. We have everything but fridge and skeleton trailers basically.

Steel wheels, fridge, leather interior (Really nice steering wheels), not sure about the DAB as they are bluetooth so i have only paired it with my phone or listen to Radio 1.

mrginge:
500’s: 2 of the units are double drive and do landfill work (44T), 2 lift axles do bulker work (44T) and the other lift axle does bulker,cattle and race team trailer.

750’s: 2x heavy so double drive , different 5th wheels etc. Only got them last week so have not been used on the road yet, spanking 16 plates.
:smiley:

And what does the Bike team run? 6x2 and 6x4 seems a bit excessive for that. :laughing:

Thanks tango I already have an inverter for a telly think you can spec a point that’s already wired for telly and microwave not that we use them as we don’t do many nights out maybe a couple a year !