New Volvo FH/FM Range

The new Volvo range of trucks really seems to have taken off , lets have your comments on the range warts and all , the truth the whole truth etc .

Volvo is way overrated in my opinion.

Is it not just a renault t range with a different cab and interior and a highter price tag :question:

Don’t know much about the new model but I drive a 53 plate old model and it is a solid reliable motor that’s been looked after so still in great condition.
Most of the old motors on the roads seem to be volvo so that must say something about the build quality.

ye Volvo errrr one of the biggest selling trucks all over world and think u find its the Renault which has fortunately Volvo parts under its badge

Yes so they have the same parts as I said

irish lorries:

No you said the Volvo was a Renault underneath when the reverse is true, the Volvo is all Volvo, the Renalut is part Volvo part Renault.

Volvos are good reliable trucks that go about their business without all the shouty LOOK LOOK LOOK AT ME IM A V8 fanfare that Scania and their fanboys love so much. :wink: And as someone said Volvo haven’t built one of the biggest truck manufacturers in the world on the back of bad products.

Just looked and yous too were right said the wrong thing :blush: anyway are yous saying the new Volvos are better than the new renaults

I cant make that judgement having not driven a new FH and only taken a T Range for a 10 minute spin. But these days its all six if one half a dozen of the other, there aren’t really bad trucks now like there used to be.

switchlogic:

irish lorries:

No you said the Volvo was a Renault underneath when the reverse is true, the Volvo is all Volvo, the Renalut is part Volvo part Renault.

Volvos are good reliable trucks that go about their business without all the shouty LOOK LOOK LOOK AT ME IM A V8 fanfare that Scania and their fanboys love so much. :wink: And as someone said Volvo haven’t built one of the biggest truck manufacturers in the world on the back of bad products.

you mis-spelt something, there should be an N and a Y in the middle of fanboy…

I think it depends on what fleet the company have, what a driver prefers and what he is given to drive, my preference would be a DAF, but i have driven most marks and the Renault has always had an engine with no guts ( apart from the magnum ) they have always had a decent interior though, and the fact they are gutless, is probably why they asked Volvo to supply them with a decent power train as they are not capable of designing and building one of their own :laughing: Volvo is a good marque on its own, always looks decent and has all the bells that a driver requires, along with the best autobox on the market. Renaults are cheap and dont have a good resale value, unlike the top marques of Volvo, Daf, Scania, which is an important factor, and at the end of the day, if the owner cares about his vehicles, and maintains them to a good standard, they will stand the test of time.

Good point truckyboy I always think renault are underrated well the premium is anyway. Agree with the daf always liked them and the new one is the best looking New lorry too don’t know what there like to drive

well its like this its all down to personal cab preference these days all high cab units pleasure to drive especially after driving these n.american bone shaking eaton fuller crash box antiques :smiley:

truckyboy:
I think it depends on what fleet the company have, what a driver prefers and what he is given to drive, my preference would be a DAF, but i have driven most marks and the Renault has always had an engine with no guts ( apart from the magnum ) they have always had a decent interior though, and the fact they are gutless, is probably why they asked Volvo to supply them with a decent power train as they are not capable of designing and building one of their own :laughing: Volvo is a good marque on its own, always looks decent and has all the bells that a driver requires, along with the best autobox on the market. Renaults are cheap and dont have a good resale value, unlike the top marques of Volvo, Daf, Scania, which is an important factor, and at the end of the day, if the owner cares about his vehicles, and maintains them to a good standard, they will stand the test of time.

I’d say the reason Renault have Volvo engines is more to do with the fact Volvo own Renault then gutless engines! As for resale value yes you have a point, but its money that you spent in the first place. The price difference between Renaults and Scanias is hard to ignore, esp now they are a Volvo in a French dress.

We have a all volvo fleet and i honestly cant find a fault with the new fh ,i was a bit unsure about the electronic handbrake but its great,only thing with the fm is the mirrors are big and cause a blind spot ,thats it,all have got ishift and i dont think anybody can find fault with that,we have loads of tucks on demo and the only one thats come good is the mp4,its supposed to be great on fuel and a few are sneaking in the fleet very soon. :open_mouth:

on general work, the one i’m driving at nights is doing 8.2 mpg… with very little empty running.
what mpg is everyone else getting ■■

truckyboy:

450 and 460 DXi in the Premium are far from being “gutless”. You clearly don’t know how to drive them if you think that. Now if you’d said Merc are gutless, especially the ones with “blue” in the engine name badge (bluetec or bluemotion or some such?) I’d have agreed with you.

I have had a new FH since October, Lovely to drive. Sounds funny but but you know you are driving a Volvo, it has the ‘feel’ of the classic to drive. Handbrake takes some getting used to but all is good. The dash feels abit flexible, guess thats to do with being accident friendly.
Fuel on mixed use seems to average high eights. I don’t think it pulls as well on the hills as our classic 500’s though which is a bit of a dissapointment. The XL cab has lots of space and storage, still got empty lockers! If there is one thing i am not keen on is the roof hatch, as it slope abit like the Iveco you can’t leave it open at night if there is a risk of rain. The mirrors don’t look very tough but so far so good.
No on the whole very happy with it, I just hope it is still in one piece as I’m off for the week.

I wasn’t fussed either way about Volvo’s until my first drive with an I-shift! Now I remain to be convinced that anything else will better them. Scania’s for me fall into the same category as BMW’s and Audi’s; fine, but not worthy of all the hype :wink:

GCR2ERF:
I wasn’t fussed either way about Volvo’s until my first drive with an I-shift! Now I remain to be convinced that anything else will better them. Scania’s for me fall into the same category as BMW’s and Audi’s; fine, but not worthy of all the hype :wink:

I couldnt have worded it any better,my thoughts entirely,all i drove for years were scanias and thought they were the dogs,not anymore,i must admit though, i turn the radio down and the window when a v8 goes past :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: