New User - Hello from Northern Ireland!

Hello guys,

Thought it was about time I introduced myself on here, as I have been reading up on a lot of things in this forum.

My name is Ross, and i’m from northern ireland.

i currently am on my second lorry - which is currently having a full overhaul.

i am an owner / driver, and work for my own family business. driving is not my full time job, but i love being out at the dizzy speeds of 56mph and sitting up high!!!

my first lorry was a 1997 DAF 45 which I bought from my father in law for the huge sum of £500

needless to say, I spent a few £££ more on it to pimp it up (i’ve had this forum handle for about 15 years now, and it definitely suits me!) and she served me well, but with having more and more work on, the wee DAF was struggling and couldn’t legally carry the weights I required.

The DAF got a complete restoration. The cab was rotten so a lot of welding took place, and it was straightened up as good as new. The interior was stinking dirty, so seats, carpets and headlining were removed, cleaned, retrimmed and refitted to the freshly painted interior. I added a decent radio and a set of speakers, fitted interior lights, reversing camera and in dash cam.

Exterior wise, it was given a full shot blasting, painted top to bottom, wheel trims fitted, LED rear lights and side marker lights, as well as the obligatory chrome bar and 4 x jumbo spots, and air horns.

I loved it, and was really sad when I traded it in to a dealer over in England (Atlantic DAF) for its replacement. Something was lost in translation, as I was originally after an 18tonner, but the dealer thought i wanted something which could carry 18 tonne of a load, and I ended up getting the dublin-holyhead ferry over to england to pick up the wee DAFs replacement - a 2001 Renault Premium 420

I traded up to a 2001 Renault Premium which was an artic which had been converted to a flatbed, or actually, a flatbed with a coil well in it. When I picked it up, it was a lot bigger than I had expected, and positively dwarfed my wee DAF.

taking it home i wasn’t sure if i had made the right decision or not, but thankfully after a few runs out I knew it was the correct move.

but i couldn’t keep on driving it in the condition it was in. don’t get me wrong - it drives fantastically well, plenty of pull, and will be all the truck i ever expect to need, but its looks let it down badly… and that just wouldn’t do, so it’s currently away getting the work finished on it.

as with my wee DAF, its going for a complete overhaul also.

first thing i done was to refloor her, burning out holes in the coil well (which would never be used again) and splitting the old timbers, and resheeting the floor. I also got rid of some of the bigger eyelets for strapping, but kept the smaller ones for ratchet straps.

next was a general clean up - the side crash bars were frigged, so new ones bought for her. mudguards were wrecked so new ones fabricated for her as i couldn’t get decent ones to match.
She was shot blasted underneath and on any rust spots, and then painted with a few dents straightened out too

She is receiving the full tang treatment too like the wee DAF - new LED side markers, LED hamburger tail lights, LED markers in the wind kit, LED floodlights pinned to the chassis (some of the sites I call on over winter etc are up dark country lanes and the more light I have the better) LED lightbar on the back of the cab to illuminate the bed, airhorns on each side of the high roof and a spotlight bar with 6 x jumbos. Strobe lights in the grill finish off the exterior lighting overhaul. I have added wheel trims also, wind deflectors, reversing camera and buzzer and i think thats it!

interior wise, it is cleaned up. I will likely get a retrim at a later stage, but i need it out on the road making money back now! a nice DAB headunit and good speakers are added also.

so there we go. I have a load of photos which i will upload of both trucks and their transformations.

thanks for taking the time to read, and i hope to maybe see some of you on the roads!

thanks,

Ross

the baby DAF before:

and the baby DAF after:

and now some of the big lady:

LOL, I’m not sure what most on the Newbie forum would have to say mate, maybe you should have posted this on the Main forum or the Owner and Fleet forum. Nice work though, but looks like to much like graft for me as I’m getting on a bit…

Anyway, welcome to the forum pal! :smiley:

Ah - that would maybe have made a lot more sense!

I was searching for an introductions section of the forum but couldn’t see one so thought I’d post in the newbie. I’ll see about getting a mod to maybe move this as they see fit!

Thanks though mate. Fair bit of work but as its my own truck for doing my own work and I’ve got friends who are handy it doesn’t bother me so much!

Big Pimp:

I was searching for an introductions section of the forum but couldn’t see one so thought I’d post in the newbie. I’ll see about getting a mod to maybe move this as they see fit!

Thanks though mate. Fair bit of work but as its my own truck for doing my own work and I’ve got friends who are handy it doesn’t bother me so much!

Hi BP,

I’ve moved your very interesting topic to the Owner Drivers’ Forum after reading your description of yourself.

I think you’ll get more constructive comments in here. :wink:

I’ve turned and cropped two pics of N22 2OSS so we don’t need to stand our monitors on their sides :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What a great topic! :smiley:

Thanks very much for that diesel Dave.

I’ve a few more photos to load up of the big reno now she’s painted up and looking a bit healthier.

All lighting was being wired up this week in relays and I got a sneak peek of it yesterday but no photos yet of lighting.

I’m looking forward to seeing it all myself.

I’ve also added a front mirror as I’ve seen a lot of newer wagons have them and found it a really good addition for tight reversing etc.

A lot more to come and when it’s all done I’ll list everything from top to bottom

Some see it as crazy spending money on an old wagon (and an old Renault premium at that!) but it’s a reflection on me and my business and it’s not that much in the grand scheme of things!

image1.jpg

Nice work on that truck Ross. Your thread has only just appeared on the owner-driver forum, I understand that it was moved from the new drivers’ forum, that sub-forum is more for those who are taking lessons and tests etc rather than because they are new to driving rather than to the forum itself. It’s certainly not because you are from Ireland!

Road Runner looks well , iam no Renault fan but good look .

How do I rotate the pictures? It is straight on my phone when I upload it?

That’s a fair effort there! :sunglasses:

Nice to see some new life breathed into an old truck , keep them coming

Voilà! :smiley:

And don’t worry about being Irish mate, some people come from Hull! :open_mouth:

(Tin hat on! :wink:)

Big Pimp:
How do I rotate the pictures? It is straight on my phone when I upload it?

Hi BP,

I don’t think you can do that when you upload phone pics, so I’ve done another one for you. :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
Voilà! :smiley:

And don’t worry about being Irish mate, some people come from Hull! :open_mouth:

(Tin hat on! :wink:)

Hull is OK, Irish is OK, but those folks from Southampton don’t half speak funny. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

(I know this because my lovely GF is from there and I’ve only just sent the translatorrr back, and now I almost speaks funny too!!) :grimacing: :grimacing:

Punchy Dan:
Road Runner looks well , iam no Renault fan but good look .

Looks like you’ve got competition.

Big Pimp:

Did you do the interior retrim on the Daf yourself, as that’s a lot of work to do all the lining and the results are a pro level by the looks of it?

Own Account Driver:

Big Pimp:

Did you do the interior retrim on the Daf yourself, as that’s a lot of work to do all the lining and the results are a pro level by the looks of it?

No mate. I used a local company who retrims seats etc professionally.
She basically bonded a fabric skin over the headlining and back of the cab and retrimmed the original seats.

I removed the entire carpet and cleaned it with a hot power washer and chemicals.
When it was properly cleaned and dry, I then dyed it using autosmart’s black carpet dye. Total cost for her work was £600.

I will end up getting the seats of the big Renault retrimmed and would love to do something with the interior but with all the cubby boxes etc it will be a bit more work. I will likely get that done over Christmas when the lorry side of my work slows down and I can take it off the road for a couple of weeks