New truck : what should I ask for? (Oz)

The gaffer has asked me to indicate a preference for my new banger, either the Kenworth K108 or the Freightliner Argosy Evolution, both probably specced to 550 or 620 with either CAT or ■■■■■■■ Signature motors in them.

Considering I’m going to be living away in the truck for 5 / 6 days a week its a fairly big decision, the funny thing is the price difference in the two trucks, the Kenworth is about 320K compared to the Argosy at about 260K, now the boss did say he couldnt guarantee I’d get my preference, but to let him know anyway.

I havent driven either, as a lot of you on here wouldnt have, but just for pig iron, any suggestions?

Kenworth K108 :

Brochure : hallamtruck.com.au/downloads … 20K108.pdf

Freightliner Argosy Evolution :

Brochure : freightliner.com.au/media/do … dc0008.pdf

It would have to be the KW, they’re much better built than the Freightshakers.

You can also get a pet monkey & pretend you’re BJ & the Bear :laughing:

yeah im starting to think the kenworth myself, not as much room to swing a monkey around in but we dont get paid for downtime, and freightliners are known for the odd bit of downtime…

Keep the Merc, that way your teeth wont fall out when you hit a bump :laughing:

Im driving an Argosy at the moment in N.Z and its not a bad truck at all, id go for that, looks more modern than the K.W to

that merc in my profile photo is long gone, they sent it up to sydney for local b-double about a year ago, im driving a little daycab bonnetted freightliner at the minute, looking forward to getting into something with a bit of space inside and power, but these things come at a price, which is living away in it.

Get yourself a volvo fh16, think they do them over there with the stretched cab. Not to be rude but I do think them trucks and american/australian in general, even the bonneted ones have been hit with the ugly stick.

an ERF. :laughing:

Silver_Surfer:
Get yourself a volvo fh16, think they do them over there with the stretched cab. Not to be rude but I do think them trucks and american/australian in general, even the bonneted ones have been hit with the ugly stick.

mate, believe me, ive pushed for a scania topline R620 or a globby XXL FH16, but they are adamant that the european trucks are “not built for aussie conditions”, ive met plenty of volvo runners that disagree, but also a problem with the FH is theyre pretty heavy on the steer, which doesnt always suit, as we usually run at full weight. (sugar)

it sounds a bit extreme going from day work to 5/6 weeks away.

the look f/liner looks more comfy inside but i dont know about realiabity of either.

jessicas dad:

5/6 days away not weeks, lol wouldnt be too keen on 5 / 6 weeks away :grimacing:

out of preference I’d go for the KW, for some reason the f/liner just doesnt look right.

Though to tell you the truth I’d push for a XF105/530 :laughing:

beattun:

jessicas dad:

5/6 days away not weeks, lol wouldnt be too keen on 5 / 6 weeks away :grimacing:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: phew :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: sorry. :laughing:

beattun do you know a kiwi called josh who drives a kenworth ( i think ? )

glenman:
beattun do you know a kiwi called josh who drives a kenworth ( i think ? )

know him well, he drives a kenworth youre right, how dya know him?

thats josh’s truck there

what’s the length of the unit?
not just the wheelbase.
thanks.
phil.

For what it’s worth get down the shop and have a feel at it work out the good and bad points looks aint everything as you know.
You say your not paid down time so what’s the down time for service and gettin parts like who’s gonna give the better back up :sunglasses:

Either way you aint gonna be unhappy just remember the more toys the more to go wrong :wink:

sent you a pm. :slight_smile:

limeyphil:
what’s the length of the unit?
not just the wheelbase.
thanks.
phil.

about 6 metres phil, i dont know exactly, but that unit hooked up to standard b double trailer set is 26 metres, and the two trailers together are 20.6, so im just a bit unsure about the distance from the fifth wheel to the back of the chassis, but 6 metres would be an educated guess.