New Truck Park - Glasgow

Hi all,

As some of you know, I bought a huge chunk of land and a warehouse to go with it.

I’ve now had permission from the council to operate as a truck stop and with a brand new motorway opening this week it’s now the ideal location.

As there is sod all in Glasgow and even at that its pathetic prices to park and eat im opening this up to fellow drivers and owners.

How much would you be happy and willing to pay to park overnight?

What facilities would you like?

What kinds of food would you like available?

Are you reimbursed by your company for parking costs?

As a driver, what do you want?

Serious replies only!

Cheers Dodge

is this somewhere off the m73 a80 new stretch that caused a load of problems on tues when they had lane closures to allow the a80 new built carriageway to open ■■

stagedriver:
Hi all,

As some of you know, I bought a huge chunk of land and a warehouse to go with it.

I’ve now had permission from the council to operate as a truck stop and with a brand new motorway opening this week it’s now the ideal location.

As there is sod all in Glasgow and even at that its pathetic prices to park and eat im opening this up to fellow drivers and owners.

How much would you be happy and willing to pay to park overnight?

What facilities would you like?

What kinds of food would you like available?

As a driver, what do you want?

Are you reimbursed by your company for parking costs?

Serious replies only!

Cheers Dodge

as for me that parks up in scotland a fair bit as do alot of collecting up in peterhead and driving hours get me back down to the falkirk glasgow livingston area to park up for night

a fair but reasonable parking price which quiet and secure

a bar would be a luxury but somewhere friendly good service good reasonable priced food with friendly service

clean and reasonably warm not flat cold showers

as for food reasonable portions as freshly made as possible , n not food that was cooked hours ago n kept warm for hours n hours on end n then served

but thats just my opinion

as for parking costs,… no they dont pay anything but if the place i was stopping was reasonable and worth it then couple times a week i wouldnt mind paying myself

GAZLEEDS:
is this somewhere off the m73 a80 new stretch that caused a load of problems on tues when they had lane closures to allow the a80 new built carriageway to open ■■

We’re just off the new stretch (About 3mins) but were at the Dolly Parton end - We certainly didn’t have anything to do with the new road opening.

Our site has more barbed wire and fencing than a prison and we’re having CCTV fitted as we speak.

The showers and catering will start being built in the next couple of weeks if everything goes to plan!

The one thing I don’t want is people paying silly prices for food and showers so I’d rather have drivers tell me what they would be happy to pay.

If it was you parking up, how much would you be willing to pay if the facilities were to a fairly high standard?

stagedriver:

GAZLEEDS:

We’re just off the new stretch (About 3mins) but were at the Dolly Parton end - We certainly didn’t have anything to do with the new road opening.

Our site has more barbed wire and fencing than a prison and we’re having CCTV fitted as we speak.

The showers and catering will start being built in the next couple of weeks if everything goes to plan!

The one thing I don’t want is people paying silly prices for food and showers so I’d rather have drivers tell me what they would be happy to pay.

If it was you parking up, how much would you be willing to pay if the facilities were to a fairly high standard?

ok thats fine never said u was, i just now on tues i was caught up in the problems wi them closing lanes to open the new bit n i was headin to falkirk n had to go via m8 junction 4 n up a801 etc

people will pay decent prive for food as long as portions reasonable amount n the quality is good

well ur msa 15 - 20 odd quid truckstops anywhere from 9-10 wuid upwards so if the facilties was good n clean safe n secure then i would pay 12 quid upwards

but at min im in a minority as i work for company running fridges and some nights requires my firdge running constant or on start stop so most places wont allow fridges in at night so depends whether u have a quiet parkin area for fridges only to park away from the others

Well we’ve been told that fridges are allowed but not to take the ■■■■.

We’re near but not too near houses - I live in them and everyone has been consulted anyway.

We’re looking at £10 per night and £1 a shower. Food is what you choose.

We’ve agreed to put an HGV ban on the road leading into the local housing area but realisticly you wouldn’t need to go near it considering we’re 3mins from a brand new motorway and 20 seconds from a brand new dual carriageway.

Im still keen to hear what other drivers want - Mods, any chance of a sticky for a while?

stagedriver:
Well we’ve been told that fridges are allowed but not to take the ■■■■.

We’re near but not too near houses - I live in them and everyone has been consulted anyway.

We’re looking at £10 per night and £1 a shower. Food is what you choose.

We’ve agreed to put an HGV ban on the road leading into the local housing area but realisticly you wouldn’t need to go near it considering we’re 3mins from a brand new motorway and 20 seconds from a brand new dual carriageway.

Im still keen to hear what other drivers want - Mods, any chance of a sticky for a while?

easiest way wud be small clearly marked section clearly for fridges so they know clesrly where they can only park n if anyone else chooses to pasrk in there they cant moan bout the fridges running

as for £10 n £1 for shower i feel that a reasonable amount and should get fair few people staying if its as good as u make it out to be

…i like idea of paying for showers…me thinks then someone will get paid to keep them properly clean…i’d be more than happy to pay for good clean shower 1-2£ at a time…

as for overnight parking from 11-12£ upward

sd, 11 squids for parking and a nice hot shower sounds good to me as my boss is so tight.
and if the food is good too then even better. pasta and fresh salad meals would also be a nice treat, as not everyone likes the same junk.oh and real butter on the bread, as i see marg as lard. but thats just me.

oh and congrats on your new venture, i hope all goes well.

I’ve been to nightfreights yard in Glasgow twice this week and have been told there’s a lorry park just round the corner, no idea if it’s true or not though.

Being the tight bugger that I am, I’ve yet to pay for overnight Parking so can’t really comment. Though I looked at Lockerbie as a last resort last night and it was £9.50.

My only suggestion regarding food is not to follow the crowd; there’s only so many all day breakfasts the average person can eat!

Don’t do Scotch much nowadays but when I did I always used to try and get back to Tebay for some decent grub with a 15 hour. Visit their site to see how food should be done.

Most big MSA’s charge £20 plus for parking so I wouldn’t mind paying the little man £15 or £20 if it’s good but if you’re happy with a tenner then I think you will be on to a winner. Don’t charge less than a tenner.

A clearly marked area for fridge trailers as far away as other drivers and houses as possible. A ban on parking fridge trailers anywhere other than the designated area, enforce this, no compliance = see you later. They have this system in place at Gretna and it works well apart from one prick who came in and stopped right in the middle of the other drivers with the fridge running, when politely asked to move to the designated area he told the guard to F off. I was in the fridge area with a running fridge, what a knob. If a fridge driver is not a prick he will try and park as far away as possible but sometimes it’s unavoidable. If there’s a designated area, it saves my embarrassement.

As smooth as possible surface in the yard as some people drive like idiots round truck stops with their kit rattling away like a good 'un over potholes, god knows why.

Plentiful hot showers that are cleaned daily.

A tip for you would be large clearly marked signs around the immediate area of where it actually is, you could go further afield and put signs in farmers fields next to other motorways.

A security guard who actually patrols the site at night rather than just sitting in his hut dozing. Plenty of large bins around the site that are emptied daily so people don’t throw litter on the floor.

A bar would be nice. The food is basically the most important aspect, get this right and they will come.

A polite sign asking people not to wee on the floor but to use the loo’s, you could almost build a few cheap toilets dotted around the place. You might be chasing the dream with this though.

Silver_Surfer:
Plentiful hot showers that are cleaned daily.

Showers should be cleaned after every use.

£10 for parking seems ok but instead of just it paying to park could it not be £10 to park including a free cup of tea or coffee■■?
As will be said till time immortal decent fresh food and decent coffee not the cheap crap and youve won me.
As for showers I personally prefer showers that can have the temperature controlled by me and none of that push a button for 10 seconds of water malarky.

Just remember get the very basics right and all the rest will fall into place.
Good luck.

I,m up there alot so
£10 parking( no need for frills like meal vouchers in price etc , just basic parking ticket)
£1 Shower
Fresh cooked food
Maybe a small shop selling food and truck stuff.
Depends on area size a truck wash (even mobile one) would help.
Free Wi fi.
An account system so we don’t part with readies but firm do (my company would go for that)
A BAN ON ANY DRIVER CAUGHT USING THE PARKING AREA AS A TOILET AND HIS FIRM NOTIFIED WHY.

Plenty of litter bins
Wide enough parking spaces and able to accommodate car transporters with their rear/front overhangs (i.e room at rear of parking space , no lampposts/pillars)
Area for fridges
do all that and i and the other drivers on our company will be in a few times a week.

Well signposted to get there.
Best of luck with your venture :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

silver surfer has it spot on.

we get our parking money back, but even if we didn’t for somewhere actually offering a good service to truck drivers, i’d happily pay 10-15 quid.
say i payed 15, i’d kind of hope for a free shower, and a couple of quid meal voucher.
if the showers were good and clean, i’d hapily pay a couple of quid if i were just passing through. orwell truckstop have it right, they employ someone all day to keep the loos and showers spotless, and it works, probably the best around i think!

with food, as others say, if its good, and fresh, people will come, if you could, be handy to get 1 veggy option, and 1 healthy option on a day, i’m trying to shift abit at mo, and quite hard at the end of the day to always find somewhere with a healthy option, thats not bloody salad :grimacing:

good luck with the venture :slight_smile:
we get up that way, i’ll try it!

Bump :smiley:

gezt:

:question: :confused:

Rob K:

gezt:

keeping the post near top…we need good truck parks :wink:

gezt:

Rob K:

gezt:

keeping the post near top…we need good truck parks :wink:

Agreed

Are you looking to be open 24hrs during the week ?

Are the toilets accessable during the night ?

Just a thought

well done that man in providing some where for trucks and getting the council to agree

also showers when using lokeren(B) in the 90s after showering you had to clean the shower cubicle yourself and leave it how you expect to find it if it was [zb] when you went in they cleaned it before you used it