New tramping job how do i charge laptop and tv

how can i charge my laptop and whats the best way to get tv and plug it in sorry if this seems stupid :smiley:

300 watt power inverter from 24v

Should of been 12v

You’d need an inverter to power your laptop. Make sure the wiring that you’ll plug it into can cope with what you’re going to plug into it. I’d think you can only power the inverter when the battery is running but this could be dependant per vehicle.

Not sure about TV or other Electrical Stuff…

Good Luck :wink:

Take your laptop to maplan & they will show you the right in car charger, as for the tv not sure i down load everything i want to watch at the weekend & watch on the laptop

brett73:
Should of been 12v

Nah, you were right the first time. :wink: 24 volt is better as it makes it more likely the socket in the truck will cope.

300 Watts / 12 volts = 25 amps and most 12 volt sockets are rated at 5 or 10 amps.

300 Watts/ 24 volts = 12.5 amps and the 24 volt sockets are likely to be rated at 15 amps or more.

I think for a laptop or TV the 300 watt inverter is too much and a 150 watt one will more than cope, and be even more likely to give trouble free operation with it’s lower current requirements, just 6.25 amps for a 24 volt model.

Coffeeholic:

brett73:
Should of been 12v

Nah, you were right the first time. :wink: 24 volt is better as it makes it more likely the socket in the truck will cope.

300 Watts / 12 volts = 25 amps and most 12 volt sockets are rated at 5 or 10 amps.

300 Watts/ 24 volts = 12.5 amps and the 24 volt sockets are likely to be rated at 15 amps or more.

I think for a laptop or TV the 300 watt inverter is too much and a 150 watt one will more than cope, and be even more likely to give trouble free operation with it’s lower current requirements, just 6.25 amps for a 24 volt model.

I prefer 24v too. Doesn’t drain the batteries as much and doesn’t cook the wires behind the dash either

I run a 150 watt inverter through the 24v powering both my Laptop and mobile phone at the same time.
I have had this inverter for 7 years and no probs yet. Before I had a laptop I also used to run the TV off it as well.
My Laptop requires 65 watts so I will never need anything bigger than a 150 watt inverter.
Oh and have you tried watching telly through your Laptop?..its so much easier than lugging a TV about, all you need is a TV tuner and small arieal!

for my computer in the truck i have a charger that runs off 12v and puts out between 15v and 24v (selectable) and it has 6 different plugs for varying devices. it cost me 19.95 and works a treat. its from that range of truckstuff you get in most truckstops but not the allride brand, i can’t remember what its called though :blush:

welshboyinspain:
for my computer in the truck i have a charger that runs off 12v and puts out between 15v and 24v (selectable) and it has 6 different plugs for varying devices. it cost me 19.95 and works a treat. its from that range of truckstuff you get in most truckstops but not the allride brand, i can’t remember what its called though :blush:

^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^ Maplins have a good range of 12v universal chargers at a variety of prices.

I bought a 24v 300watt inverter from Maplins for £40 and it runs everything i need in the truck without any problems :smiley:

24v pref as for coffees reasons

the big un:
I bought a 24v 300watt inverter from Maplins for £40 and it runs everything i need in the truck without any problems :smiley:

me too :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw … vwioyavm_b

thankyou and thanks for the link i will just buy the inverter that great cheers :smiley: :smiley:

danj:
thankyou and thanks for the link i will just buy the inverter that great cheers :smiley: :smiley:

If you want my opinion the eighth on the list by Skytronic is the best value & seems most robust for the price. Which unit are you wiring it into?

not sure yet i will be covering people on holiday until sept i start after i get back from holiday then after sept i will get my own truck but have been told its definate permanent job. i contacted them in december and they phoned me when a job came up they have just won some new contracts. :smiley: so would probably be through the 12/24v cig lighter :smiley:

danj:
not sure yet i will be covering people on holiday until sept i start after i get back from holiday then after sept i will get my own truck but have been told its definate permanent job. i contacted them in december and they phoned me when a job came up they have just won some new contracts. :smiley: so would probably be through the 12/24v cig lighter :smiley:

In that case go for a 24 volt, 150 watt one as it is more likely to work in a variety of trucks and will be more than enough for your needs., Also buy a cigarette socket to Hella plug converter so you are covered for vehicles such as Daf’s who have a Hella 24 volt socket.

Don’t buy a ‘soft start’ one though - if your laptop has a dual voltage charger 110v or 240 v - the inverter will slowly ramp up the voltage - so the charger thinks its on 110 - then when it goes past 110 the charger will trip internally and you will need to unplug it and let it reset -
you can sort this by plugging in a 240 v bulb like a bedside light - once its running the inverter is fine and the voltage should stay steadt at 240
cheers
Steve

gm:
Don’t buy a ‘soft start’ one though - if your laptop has a dual voltage charger 110v or 240 v - the inverter will slowly ramp up the voltage - so the charger thinks its on 110 - then when it goes past 110 the charger will trip internally and you will need to unplug it and let it reset -
you can sort this by plugging in a 240 v bulb like a bedside light - once its running the inverter is fine and the voltage should stay steadt at 240
cheers
Steve

You’ve posted this nonsense before and it is still duff information, :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: you are confused by how a soft start inverter works. I’ve used a soft start inverter for years on a variety of dual voltage laptops without problem, as have other drivers I know. The soft start means it limits the current on start up which is amps not voltage.

A 240v inverter is going to put out 240v regardless of whether it is soft start or not. If you had trouble with a laptop charging via an inverter it was probably due to the type of sine wave as some laptops, especially some Toshiba and Sony ones, are fussy about running on modified sine wave inverters and work better on pure sine wave ones, which output the power in a smoother form more closely resembling domestic power.

The soft start type are by far the best type to buy for use in a variety of vehicles as it again increases the chances of it working and not just making a squealing sound as it tries to quickly draw more current than the socket can handle.