New tramping job how do i charge laptop and tv

Beats me why people always want to step the voltage UP from 24 to 240 to then step it back down again to 19 (or thereabouts, whatever your lappy runs at).

Why not just get the proper tool for the job, which is cheaper & less power hungry, as Welshboy mentions?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Targus-PA-AA-70W- … 4aabedd51a

(just be sure to get one that has the correct plug for your pc)

Phones will charge off anything, 240 or 110 for a mains charger & 12 or 24 for a car charger.

Driveroneuk:
Beats me why people always want to step the voltage UP from 24 to 240 to then step it back down again to 19 (or thereabouts, whatever your lappy runs at).

Why not just get the proper tool for the job, which is cheaper & less power hungry, as Welshboy mentions?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Targus-PA-AA-70W- … 4aabedd51a

(just be sure to get one that has the correct plug for your pc)

In my case it’s because I went through about three of those things in a year while my inverter has been going strong for years.

The one you have linked to will still be stepping up the voltage from 12 to say 19 and the inverter is more useful, IMHO, as it can be used for other things.

This is copied from skytronic themselves
it doesn’t mention amps but it does mention voltage ?:
SOFT START:
Because the unit have a soft start facility the output voltage will reach after a few seconds to avoid higher inrush currents on inductive loads. Because of this the inveryer will easily start even with loads like TV and other units using transformers.

I am glad you are so positive that you can say with such force i am wrong ?
however to put it bluntly - we are all entitled to post what we want when we want thats free speech
and as to the relavence :-
how can the person wanting the inverter make an informed choice without the input of many others.

basically you are saying the opinions of others are irrelavent because you know better . so why do you not post an answer to everything as you seem to know everything?

i though the whole idea of a forum was a place to discuss things , no point if you are the only person who actually knows everything is there ?

I was just pointing out the pitfalls of softstart inverters found out through my own personal experiences, if this is not relavent when someones asked then i am sorry - but tough !!

If it makes you feel special to make such replies then fine i hope you have a joy joy feeling tonite

gm:
SOFT START:
Because the unit have a soft start facility the output voltage will reach after a few seconds to avoid higher inrush currents on inductive loads. Because of this the inveryer will easily start even with loads like TV and other units using transformers.

Err, it does mention amps, current is amps.

gm:
however to put it bluntly - we are all entitled to post what we want when we want thats free speech
how can the person wanting the inverter make an informed choice without the input of many others.

Bearing in mind he is asking for something that will work in a variety of vehicles telling him not to buy a type of unit which stands more chance of working in different sockets shouldn’t be questioned then?

gm:
basically you are saying the opinions of others are irrelavent because you know better . so why do you not post an answer to everything as you seem to know everything?

No, you are saying that. I know very little but I do know about using inverters in trucks as I have been using them for over 15 years, since long before you could pick them up in truck stops and the likes of Maplins.

gm:
i though the whole idea of a forum was a place to discuss things , no point if you are the only person who actually knows everything is there ?

It is, but it seems you are suggesting things should go unchallenged?

gm:
I was just pointing out the pitfalls of softstart inverters found out through my own personal experiences, if this is not relavent when someones asked then i am sorry - but tough !!

The soft start was not the cause of the problem you had charging your laptop, that’s not how it works.

gm:
If it makes you feel special to make such replies then fine i hope you have a joy joy feeling tonite

Calm down dear, it’s only a forum. I’m feeling quite fine tonight but I have no idea what a joy joy feeling is.

I was merely pointing out that the soft start inverters don’t react as you say they do with dual voltage chargers and any problems you had was likely to be something else. On a recent discussion on this subject your advice to someone was to return the item to Maplin’s as it was faulty, because it made an alarm sound when switched on, when it was clear from a simple sum that works out the current that the problem was with it drawing too much current for the supply. That coupled with this soft start thing makes me think you are not so clued up on inverters and how they work and so I was giving the flip side of the experience by pointing out I have used soft start inverters on a variety of laptops for years with no charging problems, as have other drivers I know. Laptops having problems charging is almost always down to the type of output and particularly with certain brands of laptop.

Still, it’s always good to get someone to bite and get wound up and irate on a forum, especially when they start down the ‘free speech’ route. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: My work is done for the night. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

gm:
SOFT START:

Err, it does mention amps, current is amps.

gm:

Bearing in mind he is asking for something that will work in a variety of vehicles telling him not to buy a type of unit which stands more chance of working in different sockets shouldn’t be questioned then?

gm:

No, you are saying that. I know very little but I do know about using inverters in trucks as I have been using them for over 15 years, since long before you could pick them up in truck stops and the likes of Maplins.

gm:

It is, but it seems you are suggesting things should go unchallenged?

gm:

The soft start was not the cause of the problem you had charging your laptop, that’s not how it works.

gm:

Calm down dear, it’s only a forum. I’m feeling quite fine tonight but I have no idea what a joy joy feeling is.

I was merely pointing out that the soft start inverters don’t react as you say they do with dual voltage chargers and any problems you had was likely to be something else. On a recent discussion on this subject your advice to someone was to return the item to Maplin’s as it was faulty, because it made an alarm sound when switched on, when it was clear from a simple sum that works out the current that the problem was with it drawing too much current for the supply. That coupled with this soft start thing makes me think you are not so clued up on inverters and how they work and so I was giving the flip side of the experience by pointing out I have used soft start inverters on a variety of laptops for years with no charging problems, as have other drivers I know. Laptops having problems charging is almost always down to the type of output and particularly with certain brands of laptop.

Still, it’s always good to get someone to bite and get wound up and irate on a forum, especially when they start down the ‘free speech’ route. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: My work is done for the night. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t you just love these so called experts that actually know jack ■■■■, Coffee? :laughing: :laughing: