New to this and disappointed

Started driving class 1’s the other week on 25k. Was told I’d be doing 10 hours a day, but now realised that was a blatant lie and its 12 hours plus. That puts me on £8 hour or less. What a load of crap. To be honest I think I’ve made a big mistake coming into this industry.

Tris:
Started driving class 1’s the other week on 25k. Was told I’d be doing 10 hours a day, but now realised that was a blatant lie and its 12 hours plus. That puts me on £8 hour or less. What a load of crap. To be honest I think I’ve made a big mistake coming into this industry.

There’s good jobs and bad jobs maybe you’ve copped a bad one, just keep your eye open there’s good jobs out there. :wink:

Tris:

If the job is 10 hrs a day, why are you doing 12 plus?

bald bloke:
…there’s good jobs out there.

+1

…although they’re not normally available for people with defeatist attitudes. :wink:

10 hours work paid then breaks equal 12. how much resheach did you do before getting your license

weeto:

Tris:

I was told you’ll normall start about 7:30 and be done by 17:30. What a load of bs that was. I feel like I’ve been taken for a mug.

mac12:
10 hours work paid then breaks equal 12. how much resheach did you do before getting your license

Honest answer not enough obviously.

Most of us got crapped on when we started, as in many industries you’re an apprentice as such, just bide your time, learn all you can and when the right job comes up jump ship.

One word of warning, never ever believe what they tell you at interview, just as you’re selling yourself and might wax a bit lyrical, they’re selling the job and like any self respecting politicians the good salesman tells you what you want to hear regardless of the facts/truth, better jobs and employers don’t do this as you might one day find out.

The only figures that count are those on your contract however you are paid.

Tris:

weeto:

Tris:

I was told you’ll normall start about 7:30 and be done by 17:30. What a load of bs that was. I feel like I’ve been taken for a mug.

And what have you said to your employer about this? And are you on salary?

Tris:
To be honest I think I’ve made a big mistake coming into this industry.

I’ve been doing this for 28 years now and I still wake up every single day thinking the exact same. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t take offence, but you are lucky to have a job, it seems like you are a moaner to me.
Transport is swings and roundabouts, take the good with the bad, good days and bad days.

just do your 48 hour week Tris…then park up and go home :sunglasses:

weeto:

Tris:

weeto:

Tris:

And what have you said to your employer about this? And are you on salary?

Yes salaried. :frowning:

Not said anything yet. I don’t think it’s worth it. Best just get some experience then get agency work. Least with that you get payed by the hour. I don’t mind the long hours, it’s just I know that the pay is a pss take for the hours I’m doing.

Welcome to the world of work. Just stick at it till you find something you like. I was so close to jacking in the job I have now. It was only after my mum gave me a stern talking to before I relieased I would be an idiot for throwing it away.

I would say that’s a lesson learned put it down to experience and move on

Radar19:
Welcome to the world of work. Just stick at it till you find something you like. I was so close to jacking in the job I have now. It was only after my mum gave me a stern talking to before I relieased I would be an idiot for throwing it away.

I’m used to the world of work. Did 15 years in my last job. It’s not about the work, it’s about the money.

Have you spoken to the other drivers, what hours are they doing? Are you doing anything different to them that it takes longer?

Tris:

bit early to say…after only a couple of weeks.
stick with it and move on when something better turns up.the better jobs come with experience.

it all depends on what the work is like, if its easy then time does not really matter unless theres something else you would rather do, better an easy job of 12 hours than a hard worked 10 hours, my last full time job would have been crap money if you added up all the hours worked but it was very interesting light work that took me all over Europe.

commonrail:

Tris:

bit early to say…after only a couple of weeks.
stick with it and move on when something better turns up.the better jobs come with experience.

That’s what I’m hoping. Want to get into car transporting or tanker work eventually. Also like the idea of 4 on 4 off shifts. I guess for now I’ve got to resign myself to this being how it is.