New to the scene

Hi all, my name is Jon and I’ve just paid to start my training to do my rigid licence. I’ve gone with EasyAsHGV and they seem like decent fellas (well who wouldnt be after taking money off me lol)

Basically I’m a 23 year old, and initially decided to do C and E together on a back to back course, however they advised due to my age it wasn’t really worth it as I would not find a job that insures under 25 year olds, needless to say I took up a course giving me

5 day course in a truck

1 test

Pass insurance (2 extra tries at my practical)

theory test

‘‘Fast track’’ ( Driver hours, Digital Tachographs, Safe loading, Safe & fuel efficient driving Rules of the road, The authorities, Customer care, Driver security, Health and safety)

CPC

Now ive never driven a lorry or anything, so it’s quite nerve racking, but I want to better myself and do something with myself rather than go from crappy job to crappy job. Has anyone got any tips on what to read up on? what do examiners look out for the most…etc?

any help would be great as I’d love to get into the driving scene.

thanks, Jon

Welcome :slight_smile:

JD_MoFo:
however they advised due to my age it wasn’t really worth it as I would not find a job that insures under 25 year olds

Strange logic as the 25 year old criteria would be the same for rigids anyway.

Thanks for the welcome

and really? ive seen alot of jobs online stating for over 21 /23 year olds and ive not seen anything about 25’s

also, all the info on driving that ive found, i.e websites/forums stating that there is NO shortage for drivers etc… but all these posts are from atleast a few years ago, could you give me a run down of the industry as it stands at the moment?

what is the generally wage of a rigidper week/month/salary?

JD_MoFo:
and really? ive seen alot of jobs online stating for over 21 /23 year olds and ive not seen anything about 25’s

I misled you :blush: It’s not definitive but is sometimes an insurance requirement. The point was it would be the same (if applied) on rigid jobs so I couldn’t see the reason for specifically defering the CE test.

ahh i see your point, well hopefully if all goes well and i pass my training, then i will be driving asap.

has anyone had any experience with EasyAsHGV? they said theyre pass rate was 71% but as i read that they are brokers does that 71% reflect custom they have recieved or 71% of any single site they send clients to?

what is the best type of job to get with a rigid licence?

thanks, jon

Dont mention broker on here you are opening a right can of worms :wink:

Basically there pass rate means nothing as all they do is take your money charge you extra farm you out to a training school and make a profit off you for doing next to nothing. But as you have paid already I wish you luck with it and hope your training goes well.

To get round the age you have to find a company that is willing to phone up the insurance company and discuss putting you on it, they will more than likely put the excess up if you have a bump and I suggest you offer to sign some thing stating you will pay the extra excess. Many people disagree with this and dont want to pay the extra excess if it happens but in my experience offering to do this goes along way to getting you the job.

Rigid or artic you will have the same problems with age and experience but the artic licence will obviously make you able to apply for more jobs.

JD_MoFo:
what is the best type of job to get with a rigid licence

The only advice I can give you here is what I am doing now apply for anything and everything, phone comapnies, send CV’s, go into local companies and dont expect to get a job driving a big truck straight away they may want to start you off on something smaller and work your way up. That said you may be one of the lucky ones that gets straight onto a 18 tonner and it is not impossible other members on here have done it.

Good luck with everything and I hope it all goes smoothly for you :slight_smile:

Good luck on ur training (sorry DEISELDAVE YOUR :wink: :wink: ) hopefully seeing those banners soon and welcome to forum
jx :smiley:

Hi JD_MoFo,

Please keep us up to date on how your training goes. :smiley:

JD_MoFo:
ahh i see your point, well hopefully if all goes well and i pass my training, then i will be driving asap.

has anyone had any experience with EasyAsHGV? they said theyre pass rate was 71% but as i read that they are brokers does that 71% reflect custom they have recieved or 71% of any single site they send clients to?

what is the best type of job to get with a rigid licence?

thanks, jon

As the national average pass rate is around 46%, I wouldn’t pay much attention to claims of much higher. A friend of mine claimed he had a 100% pass rate - everyone passed eventually! :smiley:

welcome & good luck with the trainin when do you start :question:

have you been to see the trainin provider yet to have an assessment :question:

you could have saved yourself some money by lookin in the phone book fro trainin providers then called them up arranged an assessment with them to see if you liked there set up

the only advice i would give you is to listen to your instructor & ask questions if & when appropriate

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

this might be of interest to you i have copy it from another member hope he dosnt mind :wink: but thank to him for puttin it together

Good luck mate, I would advise getting your class 1 C&E aswell as it will open up more doors for you in my opinion. I turned 22 last week and been at my firm over 4 months now, fair enough my route is only on a rigid at the moment but they wouldnt of bothered taking me on if i hadnt of had class 1 to cover sickness and holiday artic runs. Where abouts are u from and where u doing your training??
Also i went through EasyasHGV aswell and they put me into Newcroft in Purfleet… Good school in my opinion.

hey thanks for your comments.

I’m having my medical tomorrow. And assuming i pass i will be taking my theory after ive had my licence set back
I’ve actually got that little app for my iphone where you have all of the theory test questons…etc.

Actually i have a question about my medical tomorrow, I have athritis and i take naproxyn and co-codamol.
now i dont really have to take them, it just makes my joints a little less stiff, will the medical and urine test pick these up? and will i be refused to have a licence because i have tablets in my sytem? and would i be refused a licence if i tell the doctor that i have athritis? I dont need any special controls to drive a vehicle. i live a normal active lifestyle …etc. I’m only worried as it says on the label of these tablets not to operate machinary whilst using them.

and hopefully ill be doing my training in either Colchester or Ipswich can’t quite remember which one they said was nearer. As I’m from clacton.

Ill be doing my C+E too at some point but i want to get a little experien e and some more money behind me first.

ill letya all know how it goes tomorrow, thanks again :slight_smile:

JD

they shouldnt show up as all it is is they have a look to see if it is “clear” no you wont be refused your licence

a look at this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53899 may help & i have a licence

thanks Animal, ive had a read on that link, and i hope everything goes well for you.

when they do the urine test they are only looking for illegal drugs then? or to see what colour it is?

JD

I assumed that the urine test on my medicals was just to check for diabetes.

I believe these are the links that Animal was trying to give you

TIPS & RECOMENDATIONS

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the
Recommended LGV training schools that have
been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking
HERE
The link includes
THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTINGÂ :question:Â - A read of
THIS POST may be useful - also
CV & Interview tips

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and
Forum for questions on drivers hours

Thanks for the links, I passed my medical and my D4 and D2 are in the post along with my photocard and counterpart.

hopefully get those back asap and then book my theory.

I think i only just passed the un-corrected vision test with a 6/24 in my left eye so quite happy about that.

and the urine test is purely for diabetes as she stuck a little strip of paper in it.

JD

Good said you would be fine

BTW from what I have heard the DVLA are quite slow at processing things atm so you may have to be a bit patient as I waited 4 mth for mine but that is another story if you have read the link I posted you may relies :unamused:

So not to worry about taking some pain killers at times

ang

HIYYAAA JD_MoFo :smiley: