New TM seeking advice

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I have just landed my first transport managers job. I passed my CPC in 1998 but have never worked in transport since. I have a couple of questions and would very much appreciate any advice given. Question 1… When does my responsibility start as a transport manager? From the day I started the job or when the O License eventually comes through from Vosa? Question 2…We have just purchased a new wagon which takes the company over the threshold of what their restricted license allows. The company is running the vehicle against my wishes and I fear they are using me as a fall guy. Could you guys help with advice on what I need to do?

think i would be looking for a new job and sharpish :laughing:

That’s why I posted, hoping to get the ammo I need to say “Do it my way or find another TM” :smiley:

Move on …try again somewhere else.

If they hold a restricted O licence then they do not need a CPC holder.
However if you are named on said licence then maybe they have applied for a standard licence, in which case you are solely responsible for legal compliance, it will be you who loses your good repute and banned from being a transport manager for any company.
take long strides asap

Responsibility would be as soon as DVSA are informed you are the TM for the firm. You can check who appointed TM’s are by using the self service online. I’d also say that even if you weren’t yet named, you’re drawing a wage for doing the job so should be shouldering the responsibility.
As you can get in the ■■■■ as well as the company, you should be more forceful.
Maybe if you’re thinking of returning into transport after 16 years out a refresher course would be an idea.

Anything dodgy? Do one…Their problem.

If its a restricted operators license why did your name have to on the o license? Unless its a brand new company of course.

But if it’s your name on the o license, I wouldn’t have it. Keep records of everything, including conversations where you explained the crack to management.

As above I would be looking elsewhere at the same time. It’s because of operators like this that there are so many problems in transport.

F-reds

m1cks:
Responsibility would be as soon as DVSA are informed you are the TM for the firm. You can check who appointed TM’s are by using the self service online. I’d also say that even if you weren’t yet named, you’re drawing a wage for doing the job so should be shouldering the responsibility.
As you can get in the [zb] as well as the company, you should be more forceful.
Maybe if you’re thinking of returning into transport after 16 years out a refresher course would be an idea.

I am trying to be more forceful, but most drivers are friends of the directors, I also agree about a refresher course and did put that to the directors and they said they are unwilling to pay for the course.

green456:
If they hold a restricted O licence then they do not need a CPC holder.
However if you are named on said licence then maybe they have applied for a standard licence, in which case you are solely responsible for legal compliance, it will be you who loses your good repute and banned from being a transport manager for any company.
take long strides asap

We applied for a standard license as soon as I started the company and I am named on that application, not the current restricted, we also applied for a variation to add more vehicles, but we all know Vosa is not that quick at sorting things out. But they are aware that they have to wait, but over rule what I say. I think tomorrow is ultimatum day :frowning:

What do they produce/deliver? Just in my experience restricted O’ licence holders know/care very little about the law and run crap vehicles.

TheNoviceTM:

m1cks:

I am trying to be more forceful, but most drivers are friends of the directors, I also agree about a refresher course and did put that to the directors and they said they are unwilling to pay for the course.

The straight reality is that you are being paid to do a job by them. Why would they pay for a refresher? At the same time, you should use this argument when it comes to issues you should be dealing with. You are being paid for your qualification, not to make friends or to turn a blind eye.
Is this a full time permanent job for you or just pocket money on the side? If it is pocket money, consider walking. If it’s full time, put your foot down and make clear from the start you’re not going to risk your qualification for them. If they get rid of you, you can go elsewhere. If you’re aware they’re runing bent and get found out, you cant go anywhere else with a revoked CPC.

Muckaway:
What do they produce/deliver? Just in my experience restricted O’ licence holders know/care very little about the law and run crap vehicles.

We run 32T grab wagons

m1cks:

TheNoviceTM:

m1cks:

The straight reality is that you are being paid to do a job by them. Why would they pay for a refresher? At the same time, you should use this argument when it comes to issues you should be dealing with. You are being paid for your qualification, not to make friends or to turn a blind eye.
Is this a full time permanent job for you or just pocket money on the side? If it is pocket money, consider walking. If it’s full time, put your foot down and make clear from the start you’re not going to risk your qualification for them. If they get rid of you, you can go elsewhere. If you’re aware they’re runing bent and get found out, you cant go anywhere else with a revoked CPC.

I fully appreciate what your saying, they knew before they employed me with regards to my lack of experience and this is my main income. I would never turn a blind eye and I’m certainly not there to make friends. :slight_smile:

I’m not having a go at you here but I would be asking myself a question. Why would they take on a TM with no experience in the job & a CPC 15 years old? I think things may have changed a little in that time.

Surely if you are running muck etc it should have been standard anyway??

Like I said record keeping is your friend.

F-reds

Slackbladder:
I’m not having a go at you here but I would be asking myself a question. Why would they take on a TM with no experience in the job & a CPC 15 years old? I think things may have changed a little in that time.

I did ask myself that question but also thought it will be a good way to gain experience. I am constantly reading new legislation and purchased a few publications for my own benefit. :slight_smile:

F-reds:

F-reds

All records are kept up to date with regards to safety tests, drivers defect reporting, tachographs etc, that side of things I am not overly concerned about as I implemented those changes as soon as I started. I also have kept a diary of discussions I have had with the directors and when they have overruled me.

F-reds:

F-reds

Could be a utility contractor.

Has any application been made to increase the amount vehicles?